mtbr member
    Apr 2009

My First 29er... 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er + Upgrades

Hey all,

New to this 29er world, been riding 26" for years. Recently had my heavily upgraded HT 26" stolen from me (cut Krypto u-lock and all), so after test riding a few different 29ers at the LBS, I decided on a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er. I'm 6 ft tall and I went with the 19" frame. The bike was also discounted since the new 2010s are coming in. The geometry for the SJ 29er just made sense to me. I looked at the GF 29ers, but they didn't fit me right, something was just a bit off. The Niners were damn nice, but just out of my budget. Overall I'm happy with my pick, and the decision to move up to 29".
    Standard stock photo from the website below...

I'm picking up the bike tomorrow morning, and already have a few upgrades planned.

I already purchased a Kent Eriksen Ti seatpost that I'm excited/curious to test out. I rode on a Thomson seatpost for years and loved it, but I've been wanting to try titanium since forever. If I absolutely hate the Eriksen seatpost, I'll sell it and swap it for a less flexy Thomson.

With my last bike I replaced parts as necessary, upgrading here and there. But knowing what broke, what I liked, etc, there are just a few parts I will immediately be upgrading on the Stumpy without looking back. Thomson stem, Ergon GX1 grips, and either EA70 handlebars or MOOTS titanium handlebars.

That's all that I think is necessary for now, otherwise the stock parts look like a solid build. The rest of the upgrades will be due to necessity and wallet-ability as the time comes.

I'm really excited to get back on the trails with this new 29er ride.

PS- forgot to add the LBS threw on a pair of Shimano SPD pedals at no charge. I'm also getting my girlfriend a Myka HT tomorrow (her bike was also stolen, both locked up together), so we'll see if they throw in any more extras.
    Last edited by EPeff; 08-24-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: .

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    Nice dude!!

lookin' for a hill
    FWIW, the Shimano M520's come with the bike, not 'thrown in'. I got this bike in January, now the only thing original is the frame. It is a fun ride. I went with the 18".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    FWIW, the Shimano M520's come with the bike, not 'thrown in'. I got this bike in January, now the only thing original is the frame. It is a fun ride. I went with the 18".
    Strange...
    The bike on the floor had standard platform pedals, and I had them switch the SPDs from a 26er Stumpjumper Comp. On the Specialized website it is blank where it says "Pedals".

Either way, I'm really happy and excited.

What did you find most necessary to upgrade on your Stump 29er?

lookin' for a hill
    the fork. 20mm thru-axle

here's a link to the rest of the builda story of firsts. stumpy 29er '09

The 2010 has no pedals. 2009, as you see in the picture, came with M520's.

mtbr member
    Hmm, mine came with platforms. It's a great bike. I've been riding and racing it a lot and its held up fine. The only addition I have made so far are some Titec micro bar ends.

redefined
    Nice looking bike.
    And though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours...I simply am not there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    the fork. 20mm thru-axle

here's a link to the rest of the builda story of firsts. stumpy 29er '09

The 2010 has no pedals. 2009, as you see in the picture, came with M520's.
    Nice looking build. I've already added quite a bit of upgrades since my last post.

Question about your SJ paint job on your frame. I've been thinking about having mine painted as well. Did you have your's done at the one paint shop that Specialized approves of? Otherwise painting it anywhere else will void the frame warranty. Curious how much it cost at that shop, etc.

mtbr member
    congrats

lookin' for a hill
    that shop costs upwards of $250, they have a website with starting prices.... I did mine myself. I've painted a lot of frames and the warranty wasn't a big issue to me. I work in a shop and if the frame breaks i'd rather get a different frame.