Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! My acquaintance's 39T custom cassette

Good evening to you

My acquaintance's 39T custom cassette just rolled tonight on the snow&ice shrouded whereabouts.
    What about yours 39T Actiontec or other cassettes what about clearances for long cages derelaiieurs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty McWitterson
    Why?

//furst!
    Just a regular guy.

workin' it Administrator
    dang that is epic. You guys climbing the Tatra mountains straight up over there?
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    my track stand is faster than that!
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Actually, a 39T is pretty useful on a snow bike. I often want something lower than 22x34. I'll probably just get a 20T granny, but still, that's not that big of a change.

mtbr member
    Perhaps Alps more- some of us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is a good thing for riding in Korea where switchbacks are as rare as a good Korean beer (or Korean blond) and the traction is good.

workin' it Administrator
    how does that SLX derailleur mesh with those large gears?

Color me intrigued..
    Try this: HTFU

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTail29er
    my track stand is faster than that!
    I don't care who you are....that's funny right there
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    He buys an Actiontec cassette and doesn't spring for a new chain?
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    how does that SLX derailleur mesh with those large gears?

Color me intrigued..
    As far as I know It clears 38 whereas interferes with 39T. You just need longer screws to adjust the cage range or something like that and then it works fine- how fine? I'll ask the owner and will keep up updated. The teeth are a bit too protuding and steep.
    It will be used on 3x8/9 or 2x9 or even 1x9.
    For a 29er 20x39 on AM 16 kg is needed on over 30% ascends. That's where the difference pop in- either walking or riding.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    Good evening to you

My acquaintance's 39T custom cassette just rolled tonight on the snow&ice shrouded whereabouts.
    What about yours 39T Actiontec or other cassettes what about clearances for long cages derelaiieurs?
    Coolio. Nice to see one of the Action-Tec large cassette rings. That matches a 203mm brake rotor quite well.

is buachail foighneach me
    if the hill is steep enough to warrant a 39t cog, how do you keep from wheelieing(wheelying? wheeliing?)?? i have trouble imagining not getting really, really bored at that speed.

Team Awesome
    39th cassette? I'm not even a *real* racer and I have no problem with a 32 as my biggest cog.

If you need a 22 x 39 as your lowest gear...... words fail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Copperfield you better get a new user name cause these guys are on you like flies on S$!T.

MTB B'dos
    All comments apply Why The FVCK try going to the supermarket and buying some food and gainning some muscle or something I have enough trouble going at speed my 24-34 my granny/granny combo gives me and balancing and we definitely don't have switchbacks here.

David, David, david you are contradicting yourself here according to you 29ers are the holy grail, the 2nd coming, they let you do everything better and yet here you are looking for a serious crutch to put on your 29er. (if you have one, still not 100% on that). You know what I found when I got a 29er, I found I could actually, (with the taller effective gearing) still push a taller gear combo than I did before on my 26er - guess you're not as devote as you say you are and 29ers do have draw backs

it's like a damn wreck, you know you shouldn't and yet you still do
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Whats the smallest chainring on the bike that wears this cassette?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk
    39th cassette? I'm not even a *real* racer and I have no problem with a 32 as my biggest cog.

If you need a 22 x 39 as your lowest gear...... words fail.

Did he say it would for certain be used with a 22 granny?

Here's what he said...

It will be used on 3x8/9 or 2x9 or even 1x9.

I can think of some 1 x 9 and 2 x 9 combinations that make sense to me for one of the Action-Tec larger rear cassette cogs (36, 38 or 39T). I ran a 2x9 with a 29T/42T last year up front and an 11-34 in the rear. There were times I could see having a 36 or 38 cog in the rear with the 29T up front would have saved my legs on the out of saddle steep, steep sustained climbs. And I've ridden stuff in the Alps and in California that a 20T granny and a 34T rear cog could not handle. Plenty of challenges out there and I find it difficult to criticize other riders when we don't know what they face.

I can also think of some combinations that make sense to run a 12-27 Dura Ace cassette in the rear with some chainrings in the front that you might find odd.

Lots of choices and options available.

There are climbs out there that would have you questioning your 32 cog in the rear, big time.

BB

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Plenty of challenges out there and I find it difficult to criticize other riders when we don't know what they face.BB
    I agree BB. Every time someone talks about low gears the boys from Indiana, Iowa and such chime in with "WTF? grow a pair" I'm not sure these guys even know what a mountain looks like.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Actually, a 39T is pretty useful on a snow bike. I often want something lower than 22x34. I'll probably just get a 20T granny, but still, that's not that big of a change.
    You may be surprised at how well it works. I'm a heavy rider and not that strong. I really like the difference the 20t provides.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

meh....
    Coolio! Can't wait to get mine built.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    I agree BB. Every time someone talks about low gears the boys from Indiana, Iowa and such chime in with "WTF? grow a pair" I'm not sure these guys even know what a mountain looks like.
    X2..............here we have some steep, loose terrain and some very long climbs. I also like to see people's inventiveness at work, even if I might not need or want it...good to use your brain and think. However, I have found my 29er to allow me to push a taller gear farther than my 26" which really surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    As far as I know It clears 38 whereas interferes with 39T. You just need longer screws to adjust the cage range or something like that and then it works fine- how fine? I'll ask the owner and will keep up updated. The teeth are a bit too protuding and steep.
    It will be used on 3x8/9 or 2x9 or even 1x9...
    Interesting about the adjuster screws. The teeth do look a bit too tall/deep cut and no ramps on the gear sides to help the chain climb up the larger gears......

Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    For a 29er 20x39 on AM 16 kg is needed on over 30% ascends. That's where the difference pop in- either walking or riding.
    What? Please clarify.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 01-08-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Where I am riding marathons (in Norway), it is very steep and a larger than 34T would be useful for 29ers.
    Not only for very long and steep climbs in races, but also when base training when you want to stay in a zone. I agree that I generally can use the same, or even taller, gearing on my 29er compared to the 26er, but I would welcome a 12-36T cassette.

Recovering couch patato
    This cassette can take away the need for a granny gear, where leaving away the larger front ring is becoming common practice.
    It it works, it works!

24x39 is more efficient than 20x32, more teeth engaged. If you get 22x39, it's the super short gear many riders secretly want. Not that I see the use for one :-)

I would just use a 38t front ring and a 12-39t cassette to ride everything.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    24x39 is more efficient than 20x32, more teeth engaged. If you get 22x39, it's the super short gear many riders secretly want. Not that I see the use for one :-)
    Exactly. 24 x 39 for the "everyday" rides. Install a smaller granny for the rides with the big climbs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast