Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

My 26er HT feels like a BMX bike !

After 3 months of riding my new 29er , I got to ride my 26er HT AGAIN that I left in my parent's house - so I can ride when I visit them. I felt like a kid on a BMX bike. Bunnyhopping, doing wheelies, rolling off the bumps... it was fun.

The 29er just eats up the trail and I can barely pick up the front wheel. Not like I really need to the wheel just rolls over everything. It's a racing monster and at this point I don't know if I could even keep up with a group riders on my 26HT (during races or even weekend rides).

I am so glad I have both bikes, 26er for pure fun and 29er for speed and racing.

29er
    Apr 2010
    get something with REALLY short chainstays and you get the best of both worlds

mtbr member
    650b?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    get something with REALLY short chainstays and you get the best of both worlds
    True..I have Banshee Paradox and it has 426mm stays..It really feels so agile and easy to get up the front wheel..
    BUT I feel that this way to build a 29 frame is really rare..Almost every front frame out there has stays between 445mm and 439mm...Frame like the Paradox, Kona Honzo and Canfiled YelliScreamy, and a few other, are just the minority..
    This is why people try a 29er and think they feel like they are trains on rails .
    Also I don't see any news about the big brands (except Kona) to begin to build that kind of trail/all mountain short stays frames..for front and full frames.
    This means to me that more and more 29ers bikes are here to stay in the xc/racing format and also full trail bikes.. .. but the fun factor is still held by 26ers and maybe 650b bikes in the near future. Seeing videos about 29ers jumping here and there with riders making tricks on them is plain rare.
    Pro all mountain /enduro riders still race on their 26 bikes and I don't see much happening in the 29 department..
    All this , I think, makes average riders think that, having fun and do jumps on their 26ers is the correct and natural way now....while doing the same tricks/jump/trails on a short stays 29 front bike is maybe ok..but Im sure it will make people think: ..ok..it is fun...! but I feel more confident to do that on a 26 enduro bike..
    I feel like many people think that 29er bikes that are easy to jump and manual etc etc..are strange frames adapted to something they are to born to do..
    In short..I really feel like 29ers are here to stay in the xc racing world..but for everything else..650b will be the word...And frames like mine or the Honzo will be soon considered nice experiments...Also is so much more expensive to build a 29 full frame with decent stays length..and except for a few expensive models, cheaper bikes will keep longish stays ...
    In the front all mountain bikes format..you can find OnOne 26 frames at 260 euros while you have to spend 3 times more to find a decent 29 all mountain front frame...thats simply because 26, and for sure 650b, are way much easier to design for that purpose..
    You think Im wrong?..I hope so!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Paradox, Yelli, Honzo, Nimble9, Raijin etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleman View Post
    True..I have Banshee Paradox and it has 426mm stays..It really feels so agile and easy to get up the front wheel..
    BUT I feel that this way to build a 29 frame is really rare..Almost every front frame out there has stays between 445mm and 439mm...Frame like the Paradox, Kona Honzo and Canfiled YelliScreamy, and a few other, are just the minority..
    This is why people try a 29er and think they feel like they are trains on rails .
    Also I don't see any news about the big brands (except Kona) to begin to build that kind of trail/all mountain short stays frames..for front and full frames.
    This means to me that more and more 29ers bikes are here to stay in the xc/racing format and also full trail bikes.. .. but the fun factor is still held by 26ers and maybe 650b bikes in the near future. Seeing videos about 29ers jumping here and there with riders making tricks on them is plain rare.
    Pro all mountain /enduro riders still race on their 26 bikes and I don't see much happening in the 29 department..
    All this , I think, makes average riders think that, having fun and do jumps on their 26ers is the correct and natural way now....while doing the same tricks/jump/trails on a short stays 29 front bike is maybe ok..but Im sure it will make people think: ..ok..it is fun...! but I feel more confident to do that on a 26 enduro bike..
    I feel like many people think that 29er bikes that are easy to jump and manual etc etc..are strange frames adapted to something they are to born to do..
    In short..I really feel like 29ers are here to stay in the xc racing world..but for everything else..650b will be the word...And frames like mine or the Honzo will be soon considered nice experiments...Also is so much more expensive to build a 29 full frame with decent stays length..and except for a few expensive models, cheaper bikes will keep longish stays ...
    In the front all mountain bikes format..you can find OnOne 26 frames at 260 euros while you have to spend 3 times more to find a decent 29 all mountain front frame...thats simply because 26, and for sure 650b, are way much easier to design for that purpose..
    You think Im wrong?..I hope so!!!
    I wish I researched my 29er better before the purchase. I never even considered chain stay length. An yes, LOL, it does feel like a train, I actually referred to my bike as a steamroller before. Accidental departures from the trail were no problem I just steamrolled the bushes

I have two HT's now and my next bike is def. going to be a all mountain 5-6 inch travel FS. I am watching the 650 scene develop, the 650 b makes a lot of sense for me. I am spoiled by the 29er and miss the features of 26er => 27.5.

29er
    Apr 2010
    if you try a yelli screamy, nimble 9 or kona honzo. you will not miss your 26, i had a trek xcaliber, and niner mcr, now on a nimble 9, difference is night and day. way more fun, and much more maneuverable.

mtbr member
    I would recommend the Rockhopper 29er as well for somebody looking to make the conversion. I upgraded to one from my '08 Trek 4300 Disc, and the bike hardly felt any longer whatsoever. It just felt more capable. Now granted, I have a hardtail with 442mm stays, and I upgraded from a not so hot Trek 4300, but the Rockhopper felt worlds better than the X-Cal and cobia I test rode in the same size. I would really love shorter stays though. I don't do much descending and would really appreciate the "fun factor" it would add...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    I would recommend the Rockhopper 29er as well for somebody looking to make the conversion. I upgraded to one from my '08 Trek 4300 Disc, and the bike hardly felt any longer whatsoever. It just felt more capable. Now granted, I have a hardtail with 442mm stays, and I upgraded from a not so hot Trek 4300, but the Rockhopper felt worlds better than the X-Cal and cobia I test rode in the same size. I would really love shorter stays though. I don't do much descending and would really appreciate the "fun factor" it would add...
    I recently traded my roadie for a Rockhopper just because I wanted a single speed. I did it with the intent of harvesting the parts from the Rockhopper in a few months and putting them no a different frame.

I have to say I am VERY impressed with the Rockhopper's handling, and now have no plans to upgrade the frame. I didn't want to like the bike since I hate the company Specialized... but they do build a really sweet handling bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah I wasn't too set on them either, but the bike rode effin great, and the paint looks amazing. There's no way I can argue with that..
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

29er
    Apr 2010
    My chain stays are 412.75mm which dramatically changes the handling imo. I bought my frame used, with the intent to sell it if wasn't that much better than my mcr. I sold my mcr.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't stays that short cause clearance issues though?
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

29er
    Apr 2010
    you have to get creative with the seat tube, and shape of the chainstay by the chain rings.

mtbr member
    you have to get creative with the seat tube, and shape of the chainstay by the chain rings.
    Ahhh that makes a little sense, I never thought of it that way

29er
    Apr 2010
    custom on order with 412mm stays

mtbr member
    So my chainstay length is 440 mm or 17.3 inches.
    The Yelli claims to be shortest at 16.7 inches.
    What is the average 29er chainstay length?
    Would 0.6 inches make a huge difference in handling?

29er
    Apr 2010
    if you read the yelli thread, you will see A LOT of ppl love it
    Yelli Screamy by Canfield ?

most 29ers have a chainstay between 17.3-17.5"
    it is easier and cheaper to make this way
    you can have a straight seat tube, and plenty of tire clearance

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    AFAIK there are now some bikes out there with shorter chainstays such as the Kona Honzo.
    Couldn't say exactly how much of a difference 0.6 inches makes but it is noticeable.

mtbr member
    custom on order with 412mm stays
    Who's building?

29er
    Apr 2010
    Xacd

mtbr member
    Best of both worlds is having a 26 and a 29. The OP got it right, keep em both and enjoy what each platform has to offer People get real, a 29 with short stays is no substitute for a 26. And if you really want fun on a 29, make it a rigid SS.
    Last edited by Solo Bellimino; 11-14-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    RM Vapor
    Access XCL 9r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo Bellimino View Post
    Best of both worlds is having a 26 and a 29. The OP got it right, keep em both and enjoy what each platform has to offer People get real, a 29 with short stays is no substitute for a 26. And if you really want fun on a 29, make it a rigid SS.
    well..somehow I agree..even I have to say that my paradox with short stays and 120mm fork is a lot of fun indeed!..But I liked soooo much my previous build which is a 29 steel frame setup with SS and steel rigid fork and big wide tires..lots of fun..and fatigue..up and don the hill !..but it makes sense...Now that baby is waiting for new wheel set which have gone onto the new paradox.. and then I will use that bike again..
    The SS gearing and really low weight makes the short/long stays not that much important on that bike..
    Also the steel frame is really forgiving and all a in all..the Paradox front 120mm fork can't compensate totally about the stiff alu frame..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have no idea what my chainstays length are but I have a Giant XTC 2 29er and when I am hammering the pedals out of a turn I do wheelies all the time, the front end is very light and the bike is very agile. No compalints from me on this bike, love it so much its getting a host of new goodies this winter instead of getting a new bike.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    The Rockhopper is a great suggestion

MTB B'dos
    Just remember to take agood look at DnGSRs frame drawing, if you do you'll notice that the Seattube is only 16", i.e. it's a Small frame, you get someone like me who rides an XL frame and stays that short tend to feel way to "mobile".
    I have a Paradox and a Karate Monkey and both have 16.9" stays and for my height on XL frames, that's plenty short enough, any shorter and I'd be afraid of the bike looping out too easily - the front on the Monkey and Paradox with 120mm fork is unreal, the Monkey more so than the Paradox as it's really designed for a <100mm fork.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast