mtbr member
    Jun 2010

My 2009 Kona Hei Hei 2-9...

I thought I would post my baby on here, I just upgraded my wheels to the Spinergy Xyclone 29ers, and man that right there was a HUGE upgrade. The bike is faster its lighter and the red looks classy. I swapped out the brakes to the Avid Elixr 5's, they stop on a dime. I then upgraded the shifters to the Shimano XT shifters...it came with the normal Deore's on it. I have the Selle Italia Max Flight Gel and ODI Troy Lee design grips. I am trying to decide though what color cable housing to go with....i am thinking either White or Red...what do you guys think?

Last edited by stevan5150; 07-27-2010 at 01:31 PM.

habitual line-stepper
    looks sharp. imo, i'd keep the cables black.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    I'd keep the cables black and I'd put the front brake hose on the inside of the fork leg. Nice bike!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Another vote for black/dark gray cable housings. White or red cable housings would put the color infusion over the top IMHO. Cable housings are an ugly, but necessary component and in most cases, anything you can do to make them less noticeable, the better your bike will look.

Now, if you had a completely blacked out stealth black on black on black bike, adding some color with cable housings would be a different story. That can look good.

Yours looks nice as is.
    ==============
    And I agree about routing the front brake hose inside of the fork leg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah the more i see the black the more i think it's better so its not as flashy.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! 16" frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Nice bike! 16" frame?
    Thanks man! No its an 18"

mtbr member
    Looks great, you don't see a lot of Hei Hei's. Any idea on the weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson
    Looks great, you don't see a lot of Hei Hei's. Any idea on the weight?
    Thanks Yeah you really don't see many Hei Hei's and its a shame really cause its a very well made bike. When i was researching before i bought it, i couldn't find any reviews on the 2009 model at all. So i bought it without riding it and as I said before its a fantastic bike. I want to say it weighs probably 25 lbs

mtbr member
    got any pictures from the other side? Nice bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Braided lines FTW.

Its got what plants crave
    Love my 08! Sweet ride.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17
    got any pictures from the other side? Nice bike.
    Just added some more

mtbr member
    Cool, welcome to the Hei Hei 29er club. I've got a 20" 08 model and went with the same Spinergy wheel set tubeless with Geax 2.2 rear and Hutchinson 2.1 front. Climbs like a goat with the 36-12 shimano rear cassette. ALL UP WEIGHT IS 28.0 lbs. My mechanic just found a cracked weld on top of the seat tube, Kona will be sending a replacement 2010 frame at no cost which of course is back ordered. I raced it over the weekend and can hear creaking noise on climbs but no noise on high speed SuperD descent, course my butts of the saddle for most of the time in that event.

I'd be curious fo what you thin of the Fox fork. I just love the Reba but will need to go to a tapered fork on the new frame.
    Leverick

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was...........

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leverick
    Cool, welcome to the Hei Hei 29er club. I've got a 20" 08 model and went with the same Spinergy wheel set tubeless with Geax 2.2 rear and Hutchinson 2.1 front. Climbs like a goat with the 36-12 shimano rear cassette. ALL UP WEIGHT IS 28.0 lbs. My mechanic just found a cracked weld on top of the seat tube, Kona will be sending a replacement 2010 frame at no cost which of course is back ordered. I raced it over the weekend and can hear creaking noise on climbs but no noise on high speed SuperD descent, course my butts of the saddle for most of the time in that event.

I'd be curious fo what you thin of the Fox fork. I just love the Reba but will need to go to a tapered fork on the new frame.

man I really hope that mine doesn't have that issue, that kinda worries me now....I have enjoyed the Fox Fork alot, its very smooth

mtbr member
    No worries, I'm 185 lbs and have really pounded this bike the last 2 seasons. I'll post a picture tonight of the crack so you know what to keep an eye out for.
    Leverick

mtbr member
    stevan5150, Heres what to look for. I think it was just a poor weld to start with. I can see a thicker weld on your seat post from the pictures.
    Leverick

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    stevan5150, Heres what to look for. I think it was just a poor weld to start with. I can see a thicker weld on your seat post from the pictures.
    Thanks for the info man, much appreciated. So you said you have raced on yours? I have been training since June 1st for my first race coming up this October. I feel confident that i have made the correct upgrades to get it race ready.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i have a 19" and pounded it for most of the season and love it! i have it dropped down to 26 lbs and all i changed was the crank to an xt, brakes to stroker grams, ritchie comp flat bars, eggbeaters, and i put a crossmark on the rear. if i change the wheelset i think i can drop it below 25lbs. all the parts came off of my bike i had before.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Did you ever weigh the frame and shock by itself.

mtbr member
    Stevan, yes I've been racing this bike for 2 seasons probable 20 races or so with a few thousand miles of training rides in between. Its a solid steed. I'm not too worried about the crack right now because the entire weld would have to let loose down the side for a total failure which I think is unlikely. Looking forward to the new frame though so I don't have to think about it. Enjoy your first race!! Its a blast, riding in a race is totally different from any other riding. You can't duplicate racing on your bike.

Imiller--26 lbs is very respectable. my 28 lbs includes a tube and air canister on the frame. I dropped about 1.5-2.0 lbs going tubeless with the Spinergy xyclone wheelset. You can find them on Ebay for around $530 or so. Great wheel set for the price plus bomber in construction.
    Leverick

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Stevan, yes I've been racing this bike for 2 seasons probable 20 races or so with a few thousand miles of training rides in between. Its a solid steed. I'm not too worried about the crack right now because the entire weld would have to let loose down the side for a total failure which I think is unlikely. Looking forward to the new frame though so I don't have to think about it. Enjoy your first race!! Its a blast, riding in a race is totally different from any other riding. You can't duplicate racing on your bike.

Imiller--26 lbs is very respectable. my 28 lbs includes a tube and air canister on the frame. I dropped about 1.5-2.0 lbs going tubeless with the Spinergy xyclone wheelset. You can find them on Ebay for around $530 or so. Great wheel set for the price plus bomber in construction.
    man thanks so much for the info, the rain here in the south is killing me being able to take her out for some good runs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Leverick - Thanks, I agree that 26 is respectable. I use it both for training and racing so I want it to be light, but strong at the same time. I'll be honest I am a slight weight weenie. I think 25lbs would be a good weight for both. If I wasn't buying a road bike I would be all over a new wheelset.

Stevan - Good luck with your race. I was only able to get two races in before I had to move to DC for the summer and leave the bike behind. Its killing me not being able to ride it. But when I switched to my hei hei from the cannondale 29er i was riding I finished both races top ten. It is a good racer.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I'm diggin' the red.. I got a red Paragon frame (built up) myself. I am upgrading to a 2-9 next week...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My 2009 Kona Hei Hei 2-9...-img_0112.jpgI got mine down to 26lbs with the old XTR M960 crank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Greetings, tapping this coffin of a thread to see if anyone is still alive inside. I am a deliriously proud owner of a 2009 Hei Hei 2-9. It has been my sole ride since 2013. I have made some upgrades, it's a love affair. However, I am looking for owners with experience replacing and otherwise caring for the pivots, bearings, bushings and especially those thin plastic washers. I have combed the konaparts website, purchased the small set of pivots they can provide, but am curious what other owners of this now ancient most likely we'll pounded bike are doing.

Members who have read this thread: 14