mtbr member
    Sep 2010

My 1st FS 29er: Santa Cruz Superlight rXC 29.

I've only been riding 29" wheels for about a year and a half. I picked up a Redline D440 and upgraded the heck out of it. I'm a fan of bikes that are either fully rigid, or fully suspended. I don't like 'hardtails', just a personal preference. Recently I got bit by the 29er full suspension bug after a 80 minute demo on a $6000 Specialized Camber. A few of the other bikes I had in mind were the Camber (cheaper version), The Giants, Scott Spark 960, and the Tallboy Al.

I got the (XL) bike with XT parts, a 120mm X-Fusion Slide 29 fork, wireless speedometer, and a Crankbrothers Kronolog post for about $2400. The cranks are old school XTR with a White Industries Limbo Spider and a 'Tuf Neck' 110/130 bmx chainring with the teeth ground off, for a bashguard. The drivetrain is 18/28/38x12-39, ten speed. A 28t middle ring is perfect for 60% of my riding. The 38x12 combo is as high a gear as I need off-road. The low gears in the granny ring (18x28/32/36/39) are sweet, for me. Some people might ask why I want/need 18.7-16.4-14.6-13.4 inch low gears but I'm not setting up my bikes for other people..

So far, the best compliment I can give the bike is that I don't notice it. It does everything, seamlessly. Sure there are bikes that accelerate faster, corner quicker, or have more travel, but this bike is so easy to tune in to. I was pulling bunnyhops and manuals within 5 minutes of getting on. This bike is not the lightest in my quiver, but it's the most capable climbing. It keeps its speed well on flat or rolling sections and is super confidence inspiring on descents. The single-pivot brake jack isn't really noticeable. For my first full suspension 29er, I am really happy with it.

Another local rider has a XL Superlight 26. I am going to put my 650b wheels on it one of these days and do some test loops to compare bikes. I'll try to post the results of our
    27.5/29 comparison sometime soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 1st FS 29er: Santa Cruz Superlight rXC 29.-0105031550.jpg  

My 1st FS 29er: Santa Cruz Superlight rXC 29.-1223021646.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had the 26" SL for a couple of years and loved it. I'm on a dw_link Flux now (which I have to admit I like even better). However I'd love to try the SL 29er as I love both my Flux and 29er Salsa El-Mar hardtail and your SL seems a nice compromise.
    Enjoy your lovely bike!

DBI
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I bought a SL 29 RXC three months ago...500 miles later, I'm still happy with it. The only change that I made was replace the Elixir 5's with Shimano m785's.

Your Best Friend
    Enjoy it! It's always fun to get a new bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Broke the front shifter paddle, and bent a rotor today in a dumb little fall, woops. Snow, mud and pumice don't mix well. I don't think it's possible to rebuild an SLX front shifter. For the time being I flipped a right hand thumbshifter over, and put it on the left side so I can use my thumb and index finger. I've got another set of rotors laying around so I should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    yeah,i think so, I've got another set of rotors laying around so I should be good to go.thanks you

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbikes View Post
    Broke the front shifter paddle, and bent a rotor today in a dumb little fall, woops. Snow, mud and pumice don't mix well. I don't think it's possible to rebuild an SLX front shifter. For the time being I flipped a right hand thumbshifter over, and put it on the left side so I can use my thumb and index finger. I've got another set of rotors laying around so I should be good to go.

Flipping a rear shifter over to use it on the front is not gonna work.....they usually have a different cable pull ratio.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Seems to work fine so far.....

This right hand thumbshifter has more than enough throw to shift into 3 chainrings.