Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the flerg

Cool-blue Rhythm Multiple bike rack inside the house

Anyone figured out the problem that I have with bike storage? I live in a small house without a garage and need to store my bikes and I don't want it to look like a hack job. I have five bikes, mostly mountain, and want to store/display in my office. I need to be able to get them on and off easily because I interchange them often.

I thought about hanging them from the ceiling but at 10' it would be tough to take them on and off. I'd like to see pics of your in house storage for multiple bikes. Points for your creativity and I hope to steal the best idea. The main wall that I want to use has a window making it even harder to deal with.
    Demo Forest mountain biking has me spoiled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Two standing double racks along the wall would take up the least amount of space. This link has many options. http://www.bikerackshops.com/groupgaragestorage.html

V-Shaped Rut
    I put them in my office as well. This is a topeak rack, not very expensive, I think well under $200.

5 bikes.... Well, you'd need two of these and maybe a hanger with pulley system?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multiple bike rack inside the house-img_8206.jpg  

mtbr member
    I had a similar problem. I found some wall mount bike holders on sale at Target. I mounted them to some bamboo panels that I had leftover from doing my floors. Two are drilled directly through the bamboo and into the wall studs. If I could do it all over again I would have squeezed them closer together. Finished product looks really nice since it ties in with my existing floors and it works great for our three bikes. Spent no more than $20 on the entire setup.

Signature

mtbr member
    I have a Saris 10 bike Commercial rack inside my shop. Works perfect.

Got it here: http://www.bikerackshops.com/SAR8STRETCHRACK.html

mtbr member
    I have a different Saris rack than this but I think they are well made. Should solve your problem if you buy 3.

Can you re-arrange your home office so the bikes aren't displayed in the window? It would be tempting for thieves to do a smash and grab...

http://www.saris.com/p-171-bike-bunk.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I am fortunate to have a two car garage, but I do have two cars in there. I also have a full work bench, a rolling tool cabinet, six bikes, one trail-a-bike and one Chariot Cougar kid trailer all along the periphery. The bikes are hung from a two bike rack as pictured below. which folds down when not in use.

I anchored all of them pretty well into the studs and staggered the rack position (one high and the adjacent one low) in height when on the same wall so the the wheels would not touch. All my bikes are XL, so that was important.

My only issue is that it can be difficult to remove or replace bikes without a car being pulled out. I can do it, but if I had a downhill bike, it would be pretty hard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Here is what we did for our house. It is not updated as I have 3 bikes on both sides now, but doesn't take up a lot of space.

They are made from some PVC piping, and once we figured out where all the bikes were going we use PVC cement to make them just a little more stable, and they work great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My bikes hang from a 4X4, one up one down, 12" on center. Any closer than that and the pedals hit and its more of a hassle than a convenience.

trail rat
    Here is an old thread that shows what teamdicky did for 5 bikes.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Here is an old thread that shows what teamdicky did for 5 bikes.

Damn it...thought I had something to add...

wait, I do.

I am still using this set-up years later (I built it back 6-7 years ago). I've added a few hooks in between the bikes for spare wheels since then. Also, the bike configurations that hang on the wall are constantly changing with new bikes or cockpit changes. It's been easy to adapt, as I just drill new holes and move the hooks without damaging walls or ceilings.

Damn it again. Just threw the MOOTS back up on the wall after installing a new fork, and I have interference with the work bike. Guess I need to get out the drill again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multiple bike rack inside the house-bedrack.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky

wait, I do.

I am still using this set-up years later (I built it back 6-7 years ago). I've added a few hooks in between the bikes for spare wheels since then. Also, the bike configurations that hang on the wall are constantly changing with new bikes or cockpit changes. It's been easy to adapt, as I just drill new holes and move the hooks without damaging walls or ceilings.

Damn it again. Just threw the MOOTS back up on the wall after installing a new fork, and I have interference with the work bike. Guess I need to get out the drill again.
    Zion is where?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member

wait, I do.

Nice setup! Wish I would have seen this before I went with my solution. I have four carriage bolts drilled through my drywall into the studs. I'm not looking forward to the drywall repair when we try to sell this place.
    Signature

the flerg
    Thanks Teamdicky! that's exactly what I was looking for. You just gave me inspiration for this weekend. Coincidentally, my rigs look a bit like yours with a MootoX SS, a Niner, a beater and a few others. Thanks for you post and pic.

Stokeless Asshat
    If you decide to go with the wall hung solution you can go as close 20" oc but you're only limited by your bar width. Keeping the hooks as low to the floor as possible helps with hanging and loading bikes. By staggering your hook heights or by flipping every other bike you can eek out a few more inches. I've managed to get over 15 bikes onto 18' of wall space.

jeff
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    By staggering your hook heights or by flipping every other bike you can eek out a few more inches. I've managed to get over 15 bikes onto 18' of wall space.

jeff
    Now that, we need a picture!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Professional Crastinator

wait, I do.

That set-up maximizes your bike/floorspace ratio. We built one for our house in college and made it free-standing so we could move it.

And yes, one up/one down and maybe staggered a little will really cram them in there and still make them removable individually. I think we used a 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 for the header, which gives you just enough to stagger and miss handlebars.

You guys have more/cooler accessory hooks, though.

-F
    Last edited by Fleas; 01-18-2010 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have this one in the four bike option

http://cgi.ebay.com/Racor-2-Bike-Fre...item25585b0fce

it is still pretty big but better than 4 on the floor.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Zion is where?

In the attic.
    When the Niner came I decided it was silly to have three built single speed MTB's. Bad enough that I have the two SS's, one MTB/cross fixed, one worked fixed, and an underused road bike.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    That set-up maximizes your bike/floorspace ratio. We built one for our house in college and made it free-standing so we could move it.

-F
    Guess I shoulda mentioned that this unit is free standing also.
    I've moved it a few times, and I wished I had built one years ago. Pretty darn versatile (even if you don't have an old water bed to use).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Stokeless Asshat
    This is my neighbors garage but the set up is the same in mine. That's 16' of wall space being used with no height stagger.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=460448&stc=1&d=1243999 552
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

the flerg
    Looks like a beautiful setup Jeff. Someone has a bike addiction though.....
    Good lookin bikes in that geeraag!

the flerg
    Thanks to the posts and especially to teamdicky because I pretty much copied his design. It's not totally finished because I bought hooks to help with part storage. It will hold 6 bikes and each hook is on 18.5 centers. Total cost is $96 less paint. It took about four hours to build not including time at the big box and another two hours to paint it.

There's probably better colors than white but I already had the paint. The top piece of lumber with the hooks took some time to get right in order to keep the front tires from touching the wall in any order. The 29ers caused a problem that required a 2x10 piece of lumber. As it worked out, the horizontal pieces were not cut and were perfect at their 8' lengths.

Thanks for the help MTBRers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multiple bike rack inside the house-bike-rack-003.jpg  

V-Shaped Rut
    Very nice, good job!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobby4me
    Thanks to the posts and especially to teamdicky because I pretty much copied his design.
    Thanks for the help MTBRers
    Copy? Mine doesn't hold a Santa Cruz or a Litespeed. Yours is clearly superior.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast