mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Mounting barends next to stem question...

I do some road training with my 29er in the summer and would like to incorporate some barends near my stem to stretch out a bit and add another position. I currently have Ergon grips with Cane Creek bar ends mounted on a 25.4mm Salsa Al riser mtb handlebar. Just outside the stem clamp area the handlebar measures 7/8" or 22.2mm in diameter throughout its entire length.

I am interested in the Profile Brief barends or equivalent but can't find any reference to the actual barend clamp inside diameter to make sure they will properly clamp to my bars up near the stem. Profile references a 28.6mm dimension in their ad for the Brief barend which seems to defy understanding because if used in a conventional barend position, not sure how they would mount...Ergon grips and most grips mount onto a 22.2mm diameter bar which is pretty std. for all mtb bars.

So need some help from the forum please to sort this out. Anybody here run barends near the stem as shown and if so, can you suggest a particular model that will fit my std. mtb handlebar?

Many Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting barends next to stem question...-img462.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Usually people on road bikes and cant afford full on aerobar do that.

With that said, wh not try some aerobar?

Although thats as bad as the guy that ran his riser bar up side down to lower the front. Guess form follows function. Not my cup of tea, but of it is yours, do it

mtbr member
    Steve Larsen did that back in the 90's. I've thought about doing that for years but never actually did it. Post pictures if you do.

mtbr member

A lot of the the tour divide riders use aero bars with their flat mtb bars. Not sure what kind though. Some mini aero bars would be nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Usually people on road bikes and cant afford full on aerobar do that.

With that said, wh not try some aerobar?

Although thats as bad as the guy that ran his riser bar up side down to lower the front. Guess form follows function. Not my cup of tea, but of it is yours, do it
    I don't want a full blown aerobar with elbow pads on my 29er. I just want handles out front as shown.

If you have actual experience with pictured set up, please post. As requested, I am interested in confirming the clamp inside diameter dimension for popular barends prior to ordering. I also don't want to shim the barend clamp.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    this might be a case where you should buy from your LBS so you can confirm fit and easily do a return if it isnt right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    this might be a case where you should buy from your LBS so you can confirm fit and easily do a return if it isnt right.
    No...will never do that...lol. I build my bikes frame up and don't like to limit myself to what the bike shop has available. Occasionally I will order a frameset from them however.

I will start contacting manufacturers of barends...like Ritchey, Profile etc if nobody can provide info here. Thought I may get a pretty rapid response as this is not an uncommon practice for commuters and guys who ride their 29ers long distance.
    Thanks.

AZ
    banned
    Bontrager, carbon even.

Name:  bontrager-satellite-elite-carbon-trekking.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  5.4 KB

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider7 View Post
    I don't want a full blown aerobar with elbow pads on my 29er. I just want handles out front as shown.

If you have actual experience with pictured set up, please post. As requested, I am interested in confirming the clamp inside diameter dimension for popular barends prior to ordering. I also don't want to shim the barend clamp.
    Thanks.
    Why is this complicated? The barends clamp to the end of the bar on the outside, without shims. The bar outside diameter is 22.2mm (7/8").
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Why is this complicated? The barends clamp to the end of the bar on the outside, without shims. The bar outside diameter is 22.2mm (7/8").
    So shiggy are you saying that all barends sold have the same mtg. clamp inside diameter of 22.2mm (7/8")?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Bontrager, carbon even.

Name:  bontrager-satellite-elite-carbon-trekking.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  5.4 KB
    Interesting bar Dirty...thanks.

So shiggy are you saying that all barends sold have the same mtg. clamp inside diameter of 22.2mm (7/8")?
    Thanks
    Is that not obvious?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Is that not obvious?
    Humility is among the highest virtues. ...see below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting barends next to stem question...-profile-oversize-barends.jpg  

Humility is among the highest virtues. ...see below.
    And where does that say the CLAMP diameter is 28.6? And if is was, where are the bars it fits on? Or the controls/grips that work on the bars?

There is a very simple reason the clamp diameters of barends are not listed.

They are all the same.

Just like the clamps on flat bar brake levers.

And the clamps on flat bar shift levers.

And the clamps on shock remote levers.

And the clamps on dropper post remote levers.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure that singlespeed extraordinaire, Gerry Pflug is running those Bontrager bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting barends next to stem question...-hamp100.jpg  

CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    And where does that say the CLAMP diameter is 28.6? And if is was, where are the bars it fits on? Or the controls/grips that work on the bars?

There is a very simple reason the clamp diameters of barends are not listed.

They are all the same.

Just like the clamps on flat bar brake levers.

And the clamps on flat bar shift levers.

And the clamps on shock remote levers.

And the clamps on dropper post remote levers.
    You are correct of course...I was kidding around by posting that picture. Pretty poor that a company like Profile would be unclear about the 28.6mm OS reference in their tech article. This dimension pertains to the diameter of the grip on the barend and not the mtg. clamp ID. They should state what the dimension relates to which would be more clear.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that singlespeed extraordinaire, Gerry Pflug is running those Bontrager bars.
    Thanks for the pic. As a roadie, if the road is smooth and the speeds pick up, it helps to have a forward position to stretch out to. My 29er is set up for XC with rigid fork and I am running a long stem to ride a bit less upright than if riding the rough stuff. Holding on to the bare handlebar on either side of the stem with a forward handlebar position with long stem allows me to get closer to my roadie position....but goal of having barends mounted on each side of the stem will promote a further stretch approximating the hood position on my road bike.

Does anybody recognize the bar ends on Pfluge's single speed bike? They look very ergonomic by angling toward the center of the handlebar.

mtbr member
    I believe they're the Bontrager bars that are posted above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting barends next to stem question...-pflug-garth-firsthill-590x390.jpg  

CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/