mtbr member
    May 2014

Which mountain bike is better?

I'm a beginner, but would like to start downhill racing. please take a look at these too bikes and tell me which you think is better? one is a 29er and the other has 26 inch tires. one is more expensive. i have about 500 dollars right now and i have enough connection to get each tire almost half off. tell me what you think.

3500 Disc - Trek Bicycle

Mongoose | Reform Sport

THANKS
    Last edited by toratak21; 06-09-2014 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member

Neither of your links work...but I'd go trek.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm sorry please chek again

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're in Indonesia. We've encountered internet sellers in your area offering low prices for bikes that are fraudulent. These have included Trek and Specialized who do not allow internet sales. So check your sources carefully, with in person pickup preferred.
    That said, a 29 Trek with a good fork starting with the X-Cal 8 or 9 is my recommendation, or Cobia and X-Cal from 2013.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wouldn't want to race downhill on either bike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

9ers are not typically downhill racers they are to hard to turn in tight corners and both are hard tails. But for some fast trail riding small drops and more straight away trails go 29 tight and twisty 26. And nobody wants to be told to wait but I would save another 3-5 hundred dollars and get something that won't need upgraded almost right away good luck!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by manuelS View Post
    9ers are not typically downhill racers they are to hard to turn in tight corners and both are hard tails. But for some fast trail riding small drops and more straight away trails go 29 tight and twisty 26. And nobody wants to be told to wait but I would save another 3-5 hundred dollars and get something that won't need upgraded almost right away good luck!
    Tight switchbacks are no problem on a 29er. Where you see a little bit of an issue is moderately tight turns at high speed, because you have to scrub more speed earlier and you can't accelerate as fast out of the "hole", but for very high speeds without tight turns, it rails, at real slow speeds, they rail, and modern geometry helps a lot with the before mentioned issue, which is more of a tradeoff for the improved performance in the other areas. I would say that tight and twisty is not 26 land at all, anyone can turn a bike at slow speed where there's not a lot of gyroscopic force. Try the same on a fatbike at speed and you'll see what I mean (simply will NOT turn unless you slow way down).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It appears that I can only post one pic at a time with my phone. Here's mine. https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewe...21938749648722

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm sorry, it appears I ended up in the wrong thread.