Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60

    Motobecane or Galaxy

    I've been looking at Bikes Direct for an entry level, and doing some general research. Yes I know the Suntour sucks for serious riding. But my main purpose is for work commute and some occasional weekend off-road. I live in Houston, so it's mostly flatland except for Bayou trails with tree roots.

    I do not plan on riding hard. BD informed me that the Galaxy is more of a "slacker" geometry whereas the Fantom is more of a trail geometry designed to make it easy going up hills and to speed on the downside. I am looking to head up to some various state parks in the Texas Hill Country and would like to ride there, again nothing hard and fast. In fact I plan on backpacking my camera to take pictures along the route.

    So I'm thinking the Galaxy is probably the optimal way to go, and will probably go with the Point 1, thinking I'll probably get a couple of years with the fork and then upgrade when it dies.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,710
    The Gravity has more current geo, so it is a good coice with good drive components for the price.
    The fork is fine for light trail use and bike paths.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    14
    I took the .1 for a spin at the LBS a couple days ago, really enjoyed the layout of everything. It felt much better than my previous Gravity Basecamp 2.0.

    On that note though, to help you even less, I tested the Fantom 29 Sport a few days before and was comfortable on that as well. The F29 was a 19" frame and the .1 was a 17.5" frame.
    .1 might be a little better equipped too.

    If you are anywhere near, they might have them in the store.
    Cycle Spectrum - Montrose - Houston, TX

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by domoMKIV View Post
    I took the .1 for a spin at the LBS a couple days ago, really enjoyed the layout of everything. It felt much better than my previous Gravity Basecamp 2.0.

    On that note though, to help you even less, I tested the Fantom 29 Sport a few days before and was comfortable on that as well. The F29 was a 19" frame and the .1 was a 17.5" frame.
    .1 might be a little better equipped too.

    If you are anywhere near, they might have them in the store.
    Cycle Spectrum - Montrose - Houston, TX
    According to a Yelp review (posted 9/3/12) have been out of business for at least a year and their phone# is no longer in service. What LBS did you check them out at?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60
    What about the Point2 and the Rock Shox Dart 3 fork? Most of the reviews seem to indicate it's not much better than the Suntour.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Gravity has more current geo, so it is a good coice with good drive components for the price.
    The fork is fine for light trail use and bike paths.
    By "light trail" do you mean off road, taking it easy (i.e. don't go full speed) and don't try jumping big rocks, or do you mean those crushed pebble trails that aren't natural?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,710
    Quote Originally Posted by bhlass View Post
    By "light trail" do you mean off road, taking it easy (i.e. don't go full speed) and don't try jumping big rocks, or do you mean those crushed pebble trails that aren't natural?
    Suntour designed it for---
    "RTR: Recreational trail
    Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep climbs or downhills! Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house."

    If you find yourself on more difficult/fun trails and always on the brakes to get down, if you are pogoing over multiple bumps at speed you can then upgrade your fork.
    Nick at Suntour has a Raidon air fork for 189+ship. Or you can get a deal off ebay.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheDocTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    217
    Bhlass,

    If you are buying online here is another bike to consider:

    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

    I live just north of IAH and I have been riding many of those trails you speak of on my Airborne over the last few months. I have been very happy with it. It is a good package for the money.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    Bhlass,

    If you are buying online here is another bike to consider:

    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

    I live just north of IAH and I have been riding many of those trails you speak of on my Airborne over the last few months. I have been very happy with it. It is a good package for the money.

    Thanks, I've considered Airborne as well but was leaning against as the shipping and pedals put it just out of what I wanted to spend. But then again, it looks like I do get a better bike for the $. I'm trying to contact them regarding framesize as I"m in "no-man's land" 5'7" 31.5" inseam.

    I wish this thing had PM. It'd be nice to meet up with a fellow Houstonian and hit some trails.

    I live just north of IAH and I have been riding many of those trails you speak of on my Airborne over the last few months. I have been very happy with it. It is a good package for the money.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by bhlass View Post
    Thanks, I've considered Airborne as well but was leaning against as the shipping and pedals put it just out of what I wanted to spend. But then again, it looks like I do get a better bike for the $. I'm trying to contact them regarding framesize as I"m in "no-man's land" 5'7" 31.5" inseam.

    I wish this thing had PM. It'd be nice to meet up with a fellow Houstonian and hit some trails.

    I live just north of IAH and I have been riding many of those trails you speak of on my Airborne over the last few months. I have been very happy with it. It is a good package for the money.
    You can PM folks on the forum. Click on the user's name and you should see the PM option in the drop-down menu. I'm in south Houston (Friendswood/League City) and usually ride at Jack Brooks park. Currently piloting a Airborne Guardian

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    429
    I had a better Fantom (pro? some XT) 29er xl I bought used on CL about a year and a half ago, iirc it weighed 32 pounds. I suspect that the bikes-direct bikes that they do not publish weights on are going to be pretty heavy, I can only imagine what the lower end bikes weigh. I resold it because that is just too heavy. I would much rather ride a 27 pound 26er than a 32+ pound 29er. See if you can find out what actual weight is before you buy.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheDocTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by 3axap View Post
    You can PM folks on the forum. Click on the user's name and you should see the PM option in the drop-down menu. I'm in south Houston (Friendswood/League City) and usually ride at Jack Brooks park. Currently piloting a Airborne Guardian
    Nice! And I thought I had the only Guardian in town! I have heard that Jack Brooks park is a good ride. I am on the north side and mostly ride Lake Houston Wilderness Park and Double Lakes Recreation Area.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    Nice! And I thought I had the only Guardian in town! I have heard that Jack Brooks park is a good ride. I am on the north side and mostly ride Lake Houston Wilderness Park and Double Lakes Recreation Area.
    It looks like there are 2 Guardian riders in the metro area and I'm trying to become a 3rd. Tech difficulites with Paypal and BillMeLater #%($@!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by 3axap View Post
    You can PM folks on the forum. Click on the user's name and you should see the PM option in the drop-down menu. I'm in south Houston (Friendswood/League City) and usually ride at Jack Brooks park. Currently piloting a Airborne Guardian
    I'm in LC also. We'll need to start a club once mine gets in.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheDocTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by bhlass View Post
    It looks like there are 2 Guardian riders in the metro area and I'm trying to become a 3rd. Tech difficulites with Paypal and BillMeLater #%($@!
    I sent you a PM

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bhlass View Post
    According to a Yelp review (posted 9/3/12) have been out of business for at least a year and their phone# is no longer in service. What LBS did you check them out at?
    Won't be very helpful to you. I am over in Central FL, local Cycle Spectrum.

  17. #17
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by bhlass View Post
    It looks like there are 2 Guardian riders in the metro area and I'm trying to become a 3rd. Tech difficulites with Paypal and BillMeLater #%($@!
    If you're using an older version of IE as your browser, we've been told that Paypal sometimes doesn't work the greatest unless you click the little "Compatibility View" icon on the top right area of your Explorer. See if that helps!

    Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Similar Threads

  1. S max or galaxy
    By cabbgage in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 07:32 AM
  2. Motobecane 700DS vs Motobecane Fantom Trail
    By kalroot in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •