mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Motobecane Fantom 29 X7 / What size ?

I'm looking into getting this bike and I was wondering what the biggest drawbacks are. From what I've seen around this forum and few other places it appears that the bike is very solid. Also I'm not sure which frame size to get. I was thinking of getting 17". I'm 5'9", 30" inseam.

One more thing. I was thinking of getting Airborne Guardian but there are supposedly clearance issues between the rear tire and the der? Is that true? Is the Motobecane experiencing similar clearance issue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone, any suggestions please?

mtbr member
    Do you have a bike now? I always compare top dimensions of a bike I may be interested to one that I already own that I know fits me well. If not then 17 sounds right for your size but there are a lot of variables, I would only buy a bike sight unseen if it matched up (size wise) to one you are able to test ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I currently ride an old Raleigh, which is 20", but that's 26" tires on it. This is why I was thinking of going with a 17" for the 29er.

mtbr member
    Tire size doesn't really effect frame size, I rode the same size 26 inch mtb as my current 29 inch one. 20 inch frame sounds way too big for you, 21 inch is usually considered XL and is the size I ride @ 6 ft. 3 in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I agree that the tire won't impact the frame size, but it will impact at how high off the ground the top tube is.

AZ
    banned
    Stand over is irrelevant. Buy with reach to the bars in mind. If your current bike is a good fit try to approximate the dimensions that work for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    I agree that the tire won't impact the frame size, but it will impact at how high off the ground the top tube is.

No, bb height (or drop) determines stand over height.

Old mtbs, especially old lower end mountain bikes (don't know what you have) often had seat tubes that were longer in proportion to top tubes than modern mtbs. It is possible that the top tube on your current 20 in. bike is shorter than the new Moto-bacon. Measure and check!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am also interested in that same size I am 5'9.5" with 31" inseam barefoot book measurement. I don't have a older bike to compare. Was hoping if Luke79 could shime me In.