Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Yup similar build style as the Yelli and Honzo. Super fun bike, loves to jump, loves to go fast and is really just a blast through everything. It's just one of those bikes that makes you forget what you're riding and just fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    http://www.cannondale.com/fsi/video/

These bikes look flickable. I wonder how much of the "flickability" is the rider in this case; or if they had a longer chainstay bike if they could do this? (sarcasm) On that note my 20 year old son can make any bike look flickable. I think spending time on what ever you have and learning to ride is the key.

mtbr member

Most Fun and Flickable 29er?

Rootdown, thats Chromag right? Looks tasty. How much does that frame go for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member

Rootdown can be had for around $800 I believe. It's the Taiwan made more economical version of the Surface

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by For Waukee View Post
    What are your opinions in regards to the most fun and flickable 29er.

Examples? Pics?
    Honestly this is impossible to answer. Here is why.

First ya gotta define "flickable" This can mean different things to different people. In general an ex-motocross term, it eludes to the maneuverability of said bike. That may translate into HOW a rider rides, and this can vary greatly. If you're an ex BMXer or trials rider, your feeling for flickability is very different than being a downhiller.

Secondly, there are several traits of a bike that can help define it's flickability, and others have mentioned them. Weight, Chain Stay Length, Wheel Size, some may say a particular frame material (steel) is more flickable than another material, like aluminum. My SS is much more "flickable" than my geared full sussy, part is overall weight, but part is where that weight is located.

Third has got to be terrain. A smooth fast flowy trail will need different flick than a super chunky rock embedded fock fest. Different bikes, and riders will behave differently in these conditions.

Fourth, it depends upon your experience and where you came from in your riding background. As I eluded to above, a BMX rider looks at that attribute differently than a Downhill rider.

Lastly, and potentially most important, if flickability is important in your bike selection critieria, why would you want a 29er? If you want flick, a 20 inch BMX, will stick!

So the question is back to the OP, what kind of rider are you? What are you looking for? What bikes have you ridden? What did you like and not like? What is your experience? What is your terrain? Why do you want flickable and do you know what that means on the context of all these other factors?

It's kinda like the "best" bike argument on MTBR. Without some info our crowd sourcing model can't help and frankly with half of the bad advice you get here, you'll probably end up worst off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Rootdown can be had for around $800 I believe. It's the Taiwan made more economical version of the Surface
    Yup frames go for $800ish. Fun little bikes for sure.

mtbr member
    What size is the rootdown? I wanted a surface for the longest time but seemed like I was between a lg/xl.

mtbr member
    Mine is a L and the fit is pretty much spot on. I am running a 50mm stem and the fit is awesome.

I've gotten more time on it over the last couple of days and I'm blown away with how capable it is. I bought this to be my just mess around play bike, I have two other bikes in a Knolly Chilcotin and Banshee Prime and both of em are currently collecting dust for a little bit.

mtbr member

Anyone whom has ever had an affair with a short chainstay 29er will realize how much fun, maneuverable it is and tough to give up and go to a bike with longer stays. And when I say short stay i mean under 17".
    Last edited by funnyjr; 07-25-2014 at 09:03 PM.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Anyone whom has ever had an affair with a short chainstay 29er will realize how much fun, maneuverable it is and tough to give up and go to longer a bike with longer stays. And when I say short stay i mean under 17".
    I agree with this post 100%.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep, 29er wheels are already more stable due to gyroscopic motion, they don't need longer wheelbases than 26ers so they can be "more more" stable. We got 18"+ chainstay bikes because the designers were lazy (well, more because they didn't want to really commit and took a "lowest cost possible" approach). Lots of these bikes still exist and are being sold, but we are finally starting to see some shorter chainstay XC bikes even, although they still have a ways to go.
    Last edited by Jayem; 07-26-2014 at 12:28 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Agreed......Most fun on any bike I've ever owned...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4