Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Re: Most Fun and Flickable 29er?

Quote Originally Posted by DJO View Post
    AtoA is much more flixable
    By "AtoA" do you mean wheelbase? If so, I agree! My Nimble 9 has a short wheelbase and when approaching a steep tight downhill switchback I can grab a little rear brake and the whole back end just slides around into position for an easy entry into and out of the turn.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Banshee Paradox is a frickin' ripper...built one for my dad and can barely help but pick one up for myself. Back end is stiff as hell, it's nice and short, and the angles aren't so slack that it flops around.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    By "AtoA" do you mean wheelbase? If so, I agree! My Nimble 9 has a short wheelbase and when approaching a steep tight downhill switchback I can grab a little rear brake and the whole back end just slides around into position for an easy entry into and out of the turn.

Yes the axle to axle length makes a difference. My Anthem X is smooth and fast but not quick, my Epic Comp Carbon is stiff and fast and very quick.

mtbr member

Most Fun and Flickable 29er?

Flickable fun Ti

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post

Flickable fun Ti
    Jealous! Very nice!!!

Can you hear me now?

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post

Flickable fun Ti
    Custom builder? Who?

Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Not a 29er, but today I tried a 27.5 Pivot Les and was astonished at its light handling and ease of whipping around. It was like a CX bike on steroids.

mtbr member

Most Fun and Flickable 29er?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404128949.139517.jpg
    Very pleased with my Misfit, not exactly a short chainstayer but just a blast on the trail......very nimble and still a confident descender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by For Waukee View Post
    Sorry If this is getting a little off topic, but would you guys consider a XC 29er (of course!) with 17.72 chainstays, 43.34 wheelbase, 24.61 TT, and 72 degree HT to be more on the short and "twitchy" side or long and stable side?

By reading all of these detailed and intelligent responses I can tell you guys on here really know your stuff and just want to get your opinions.

Only if I was towing a trailer. Sounds like an endo machine to me.

Waukee, sounds like a Niner Air 9 geometery.
    Seabass are you saying that the Air 9, is an endo machine? I hear that they were pretty solid bikes, and now you have me a little worried. Building up a frame right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post

Waukee, sounds like a Niner Air 9 geometery.
    Seabass are you saying that the Air 9, is an endo machine? I hear that they were pretty solid bikes, and now you have me a little worried. Building up a frame right now.
    I didn't know the Air 9 was that steep, but a 72 degree HTA is steeper than most stuff on the market these days. My 2008 Intense Spider 29er is also that steep. It's a blast to ride, and maneuverability around switchbacks exceeds a lot of 26er bikes.
    Different bikes require different riding styles, but you can adjust to something like that.
    A steep HTA moves the wheel in, but a longer top tube can compensate for that. I ride a short stem and lay back post on that bike to keep my weight back.
    Obviously I can't bomb rocky downhills like I can on my TBLTc but I do plenty of technical stuff with no problems.

mtbr member
    Ibis Tranny 29 just announced today!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Different bikes require different riding styles,
    +1

what the hell is flickable anyways??
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will spare the flickable debates here and support the fun part.

It's more than just a short stem. The bikes I've ridden with short chain stays, low stand over and more slack are fun and probably what many call flickable.

My fun 29r is a Honzo and that's got to be up there with value too. My real world experience is with a few Kona models that have gone short chain stay, slack and short stem but have to believe a Nimble 9, Banshee, and others all have that fun factor. Other 29r even with shorter stem or wide bars didn't have that fun feel I've got with my dirt jumper. The Honzo is like lumber truck or steam roller meets DJ/park bike. It works for way more than I ever expected and I'm riding it more than expected. Most other 29 bikes I've tried were just the lumber truck or steam roller part.

Most probably have a hard time finding a Nimble 9, Yelli, or Paradox but the size of Kona dealer network probably gives you a chance to try that style geometry.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    I know this quote is from last year but had to comment. No f'in way a longboard is even close to short board performance...this coming from a guy who has mostly ridden shortboards but also own high performance longboards and has been surfing for 35 years. The weight of a high performance longboard far exceeds any shortboard and that is just the beginning of the differences. If that is not enough to tell, you only ride waves and don't actually surf them.
    Obviously short boards and long boards are different. If you re read what i wrote, i said i can cut back, kick spray, and lip bash "like a short boarder", not that my long board WAS a short board.

Monday morning i had one of the best surfs i have had in my own 35 years of surfing (not exaggerating). I was uncontested at the outer peak and caught my pick of every set that rolled through. Im sure the guys out on short boards would agree with you that i was not "performing" like they could have.... that is if they were not just floating and watching.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    Ibis Tranny 29 just announced today!
    I saw that, pretty neat looking bike, but I'm pretty sure I read 71 deg head angle. The "fun" 29r bikes I found were or are 68.

Sure fun for many is grunting out a race or fastest lap times on phone app, but my interpretation here is grunting to the top for air, steeps, drops and pumps fun on the way down. My fun or AM type 29 is still better for XC than I expected, and probably most limited by my choice for gearing.

The OP asked for imagery. The Nimble 9 is not what I ride but I'm guessing anyone with one, Honzo, Paradox, Yelli, and others gets this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Did Someone Say Fun?

Most Fun and Flickable 29er?-photo.jpg

I'm definitely not a XC racer or a DH guy. I just prefer to ride my bike up and down hills with a big smile on my face...

For me the Nimble 9 is the most "fun" I've had on a bike...just my two cents. Of course my wife would disagree and tell you her Yelli Screamy is way more fun (because it's hers).

mtbr member
    Fun? who is gonna ride a bike that is not fun. Or rather one that they wouldn't describe as fun?

Just when I thought bike descriptions couldn't get more vague than flickable.

chainstay length is over analyzed . I feel some people look at numbers individually rather then as a set with all numbers having a cumulative effect.

fun and flickability are decided by riding styles.

all aspects of bike geometry are trade offs.

Riding a 29er requires more body english than smaller bikes. Bikes with steep head angles could be considered more flickable for their ability to dart around rocks at high speed.

A mod may want to rename this the

" What's the best-est 29er?" thread.
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    When I was a kid, I had fun on my 20" Schwinn.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't have a hard time interpreting what was meant or the majority of responses. It's not about a race or XC type bike here even though racing and those bikes can also be called fun.

There's no over thinking chain stay length here unless I'm riding one of my bikes with 1+ inches more of it and trying to figure out how to do same sort of riding the DJ/park bike and "fun" 29r do.

With 67 - 71 degrees in our MTB fleet I know pretty well "flicking" a racer bike around the rocks isn't same as slack bikes.

The posts dismissing or questioning geometry (design?) are off the mark for me because with diversity in bike types, it's the bikes with 67-68 head angles, short stays, long top tubes and low stand over that facilitate a most fun sort of riding compared to all the stuff I've had since my 1981/82 StumpJumper.

P.S. Definitely merritt points to family with his and her Canfields!
    P.S.S. What's that ti looking bike with bent seat tube or it's specs if a custom?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post

There's no over thinking chain stay length here unless I'm riding one of my bikes with 1+ inches more of it and trying to figure out how to do same sort of riding the DJ/park bike and "fun" 29r do.
    I think people in this thread have mentioned the benefits and the downsides of short chainstays. So, fun can mean different things to different people.

With 67 - 71 degrees in our MTB fleet I know pretty well "flicking" a racer bike around the rocks isn't same as slack bikes.
    I have never "flicked" a bike, so maybe I am not qualified to discuss this , but steeper head angles have always meant sharper, quicker, more precise steering. Are we redefining the laws of physics now? Like so many things in the MTB world, the latest trend is sold as the solution to all problems while all alternatives are dismissed. As with chain stay length, changing HTA changes bike characteristics, but depending on the rider, the most fun HTA is up for debate.

I know that I can do *much* better on tight switchbacks with XC geometry than with a slack bike, but I don't know what flickable is, so I'm not sure if that is relevant.

The posts dismissing or questioning geometry (design?) are off the mark for me because with diversity in bike types, it's the bikes with 67-68 head angles, short stays, long top tubes and low stand over that facilitate a most fun sort of riding compared to all the stuff I've had since my 1981/82 StumpJumper.

I think fuglio was pointing out that you need to ride a bike to know it, not just look at numbers on a geometry table. I totally agree, and was surprised when I was test riding, how hard it was to predict in advance how a bike would feel. Bikes I thought would be big felt small, bikes I thought would be sluggish felt nimble, 2 bikes with the same numbers on paper would feel totally different from each other, etc.

mtbr member
    I think flickable means people want to flick it... like a carbon bike , people love flicking those

the only frame that is more flickable might be bamboo. People cant keep their fingers off them.
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

It's the axle
    Just to cause more misery- I recall the term "flickable" showing up in motocross magazines back in the 80's, and it referred to how a cycle behaved after leaving the ground. Like going up the side of a hill, and getting airborne. At least that was my understanding.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    Just to cause more misery- I recall the term "flickable" showing up in motocross magazines back in the 80's, and it referred to how a cycle behaved after leaving the ground. Like going up the side of a hill, and getting airborne. At least that was my understanding.
    That's context and understanding I have. I'm just the old fart who started the bike park in my area but have heard it over and over in a circle of moto riders, dirt jumpers and the guys who get big air at our ski club trails.

I get the flickable context or idea and 29r with my Honzo because it's a big wheel bike that can behave like my DJ bike. Friends and associates with racer type and fat bikes have been trying it on rides so getting on a racer or XC type bike and it in same ride are quite an illustration of what I think is meant in most of these posts.

I have a racer type bike too and classify that as a different flavor or type of fun.

mtbr member
    Don't know what you'd consider flickable, but this thing is stupid fun.

Most Fun and Flickable 29er?-dsc05174.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by monty797 View Post
    Don't know what you'd consider flickable, but this thing is stupid fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05174.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	905636
    Rootdown? Nice. I haven't had the pleasure to try one but recall it has the build style like the N9, Yelli, and Honzo discussed here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast