Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover View Post
    +1

At 6'2, I generally ride medium sized frames with slack head angles. Medium to keep the wheelbase in check and a slack head angle to keep it stable. YMMV.
    I sized down to a small on my Kona Honzo... and it has super short 16.3" chainstays...

I am actually finding it to be too far on the "flickable" end of the spectrum.
    Yes it manuals and wheelies super easy, easier than most 26" bikes I've owned. And it makes quick work of switchbacks and schralping corners. However at higher speeds on rocky terrain, it gets knocked off line easier, rides rough, and generally feels skittish.

I do love the Honzo, just not for high speed rocky stuff!

I never had these issues with my yelli screamy, which had similar reach/TT length, but .4" longer chainstays. The Honzo has sliders so I think the fix is just to move the drop-outs back a bit. And CERTAINLY not an issue on my banshee prime.

So far my experience is that short stays and wheelbase add some playfulness back into the mix, but there can also be too much of a good thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So sick of this "flick able" term. Who started this nonsense anyway? I get what it means but it just sounds like marketing jargon. Each bike will handle slightly different. Test some out and determine which you like.

MTB B'dos
    I'll second this. Also don't see why people want 29ers to handle like 26ers, it's like having a Porsche and a Jeep and expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodon View Post
    So sick of this "flick able" term. Who started this nonsense anyway? I get what it means but it just sounds like marketing jargon. Each bike will handle slightly different. Test some out and determine which you like.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    So far my experience is that short stays and wheelbase add some playfulness back into the mix, but there can also be too much of a good thing.
    Exactly, otherwise we'd all be on Unicycles.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I never had these issues with my yelli screamy...
    This is because the Yelli Screamy is rad.

PS - I rode the full suspension version of the Honzo a few weeks ago. Initial review: I would like to ride it again.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Dianetics Junior
    This is because the Yelli Screamy is rad.

PS - I rode the full suspension version of the Honzo a few weeks ago. Initial review: I would like to ride it again.
    tell me more...do you mean the Satori?

Trophy Husband

Re: Most Fun and Flickable 29er?

Not the Satori...the Process 111. (thread jack complete)

http://www.konaworld.com/process_111.cfm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    I know what you're going through (I think). I rode 26" GT hard tails since 1995. I was soooo concerned about making the switch to 29" and FS. I didn't want to lose that feeling of being on my BMX bike (circa 1983)... I guess that's the "flickable" thing. I ended up on an XL Cannondale Scalpel 29er Carbon 1. I was blown away at the ride - WAY more fun than I expected it to be. Oh, I knew it'd be faster on the descents, more planted on roots, etc. I was surprised at how much better it climbed. But I was really blown away at just how fun it is to ride. It is absolutely as much tossable, flickable - whatever cool mtb term ya wanna use - as any of my 26" bike. I've never had had more fun riding.

Edit note: I was also surprised at how easy the transition was. After 25+ years on hard tails, I raced the day after picking up the Scalpel... and podiumed
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not the Satori...the Process 111. (thread jack complete)

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | ENDURO | PROCESS 111

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Just built a devinci atlas with a 140 fork. Very similar geo to 111. Bike is looking like it is exactly how I'd hope it to be (couple rides). Tremendously playful. Can't tell what the wheel size is until leaning into a corner and then feeling massive traction. Reminds me of one of the most playful bikes I've ever ridden, commencal meta 6 sized down. Can't really power through (pedal) heavy chunk, but I did not really expect that. Definitely looking as fun as the Yeli Screamy, but with added benefit of 4" travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    I will probably get blasted for my opinion on this, but i think the short chain stay "flickable" buzz is kinda silly.

I surf on a 10' longboard. It has huge advantages over short boards when it comes to catching waves, but being a longboard it is *supposed* to surf like an aircraft carrier. Thing is, when i position my self correctly and carve hard i can cut back no problem. I kick spray and lip bash like a shortboarder as long as my technique and set up are correct. I get all the wave hog advantages and really have not felt limited in maneuverability since i got the feel for it.

When i got my 29 it felt the same way. Some of the very advantages i love about my bike involve the longer wheel base and stability of the thing. A longer chain stay and LESS flickability actually helps on steep climbs and fast descents. The faster i go the better the bike handles. When i find my self on trail sections that your flickable bikes excel at, it comes down to proper technique, set up, and weight distribution. I have not felt limited in maneuverability since i got the feel for it.

Not hating on anyone for personal preference, outside of races the best rider is the one having the most fun after all... but i think to much weight is being placed on how well a bike performs at under 10mph. There are people who will seek out bikes with this style of geometry because of threads like this without understanding why and what they are giving up.
    I would have to differ in relating the two. I snowboard on a what could be described as a long board (a 169) because I like the stability at speed but when I get in the bumps and have to carve I'm at a disadvantage when I have to quickly swing that big ***** around in a tight space. It's doable though and I have demoed shorter boards and while they were better in the bumps, they were too fidgety at speed.

My Nimble 9 SS has 16.2 stays and a G2 fork. It is extremely flickable on tight switchbacks and narrow singletrack compared to my former frames (Dambala and SIR9). It's also the most confident descender I have owned due to it's slack head tube and Canfield's DH geometry. When I stand and mash on steep climbs the rear wheel is right under me which means my weight is right over the rear wheel, leading to better traction when the trail surface is sketchy. Riding it is definitely the most fun I've had on a MTB on any terrain.

To each their own though. Ride what you like and what works for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by For Waukee View Post
    Sorry If this is getting a little off topic, but would you guys consider a XC 29er (of course!) with 17.72 chainstays, 43.34 wheelbase, 24.61 TT, and 72 degree HT to be more on the short and "twitchy" side or long and stable side?

By reading all of these detailed and intelligent responses I can tell you guys on here really know your stuff and just want to get your opinions.
    Only if I was towing a trailer. Sounds like an endo machine to me.

mtbr member
    I will probably get blasted for my opinion on this, but i think the short chain stay "flickable" buzz is kinda silly.

I surf on a 10' longboard. It has huge advantages over short boards when it comes to catching waves, but being a longboard it is *supposed* to surf like an aircraft carrier. Thing is, when i position my self correctly and carve hard i can cut back no problem. I kick spray and lip bash like a shortboarder as long as my technique and set up are correct. I get all the wave hog advantages and really have not felt limited in maneuverability since i got the feel for it.

When i got my 29 it felt the same way. Some of the very advantages i love about my bike involve the longer wheel base and stability of the thing. A longer chain stay and LESS flickability actually helps on steep climbs and fast descents. The faster i go the better the bike handles. When i find my self on trail sections that your flickable bikes excel at, it comes down to proper technique, set up, and weight distribution. I have not felt limited in maneuverability since i got the feel for it.

Not hating on anyone for personal preference, outside of races the best rider is the one having the most fun after all... but i think to much weight is being placed on how well a bike performs at under 10mph. There are people who will seek out bikes with this style of geometry because of threads like this without understanding why and what they are giving up.
    Agree. Id rather muscle a long bike through the jumps and turns then trust my life on a short bike through high speed chunk.. The process 111 looks good though lean down to take advantage of the long top tube in the high speed. sit up a little straight to tale advatage of the short stays in the low speed...

need to see first hand though
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I own a Kona Process and yes it is very flickable and still very stable at high speeds. I describe it as a 29er 4x bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    Just built a devinci atlas with a 140 fork. Very similar geo to 111. Bike is looking like it is exactly how I'd hope it to be (couple rides). Tremendously playful. Can't tell what the wheel size is until leaning into a corner and then feeling massive traction. Reminds me of one of the most playful bikes I've ever ridden, commencal meta 6 sized down. Can't really power through (pedal) heavy chunk, but I did not really expect that. Definitely looking as fun as the Yeli Screamy, but with added benefit of 4" travel.
    Yes but your talking about an Ultra-light XC race bike " the scalpel ".
    I have that exact bike and can relate, spot on Geo.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just purchased a Yeti SB95 to replace my Intense Tracer 29. I never did feel quite comfortable / confident in tight rocky steep sections with the longer w.b. and or geometry of the Intense. I am really digging the SB now after only one 12+ - mile ride last week. It does feel closer to handling like a 26er and it's overall just more responsive. Also the large Yeti is around 1/2 an inch smaller in all areas than the Intense. When the rain lets up I will get some quality seat time to really get to know the SB.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I believe experience and "active" technique have a lot to do with "flick ability"

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 is very "flick-able" IMHO. Made me a believer in terms of the whole short CS concept.
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you put a shorter stem and shorter bars on any bike, in my opinion that makes it "flickable".

Re: Most Fun and Flickable 29er?

Quote Originally Posted by matty.d. View Post
    If you put a shorter stem and shorter bars on any bike, in my opinion that makes it "flickable".
    Would have to disagree. 50mm stem on a frame with an 18" CS will not handle as good as say a 75-85mm stem on a frame with 16.25" CS.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I know this quote is from last year but had to comment. No f'in way a longboard is even close to short board performance...this coming from a guy who has mostly ridden shortboards but also own high performance longboards and has been surfing for 35 years. The weight of a high performance longboard far exceeds any shortboard and that is just the beginning of the differences. If that is not enough to tell, you only ride waves and don't actually surf them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    [QUOTE=cycljunkie;11288626]Would have to disagree. 50mm stem on a frame with an 18" CS will not handle as good as say a 75-85mm stem on a frame with 16.25" CS.

Agree, but if you have a bike already and want to change the way it feels without getting a new bike stem and bars change it a lot.

[QUOTE=matty.d.;11288652]
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    Would have to disagree. 50mm stem on a frame with an 18" CS will not handle as good as say a 75-85mm stem on a frame with 16.25" CS.

Agree, but if you have a bike already and want to change the way it feels without getting a new bike stem and bars change it a lot.
    You are correct but I don't think changing your bar/stem setup will have as big of an impact as switching to a short CS frame. I've owned many 29er frames (too many) and my current frame (Nimble 9) has 16.25" CS's. This was my first "short CS" bike. I noticed the benefit of having short CS's right from the "get go". Made me a true believer! Just my $0.02 and your mileage may vary.
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    [QUOTE=cycljunkie;11288673]
    Quote Originally Posted by matty.d. View Post

You are correct but I don't think changing your bar/stem setup will have as big of an impact as switching to a short CS frame. I've owned many 29er frames (too many) and my current frame (Nimble 9) has 16.25" CS's. This was my first "short CS" bike. I noticed the benefit of having short CS's right from the "get go". Made me a true believer! Just my $0.02 and your mileage may vary.

Yeah your probly right I've never road a short CS bike although I've broken a CS ☺

mtbr member
    FS but---Salsa big mama. rides like a 26r methinks

b
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

DJO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by For Waukee View Post
    I was thinking more Hardtail, but open to opinions on FS as well.

Also, I have a question. How much of an effect does the chainstay length actually have on the overall "flickability" or "26ER feel" if you will?

What about the weight of the bike. I saw a video of a guy that seemed to be throwing around a Charge Cooker 29ER quite easily and that bike is ~30.00lbs.
    I'm new to MTBR but not to Mountain Biking. I think weight, frame material, suspension, chainstay and AtoA length all play into flixability. A light weight, carbon frame with stiff suspension, short chainstay and AtoA is much more flixable than a longer plusher, aluminum bike.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast