Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member of The Yeti Tribe

Most Aggressive SS Hardtail frame available?

So after buying a Enduro Comp 29, I decided I didnt really like the way the bike rode and decided to sell it.. But I also put some time on a friends custom built SS 29er and loved it.

I am opting for a 27.5 trail bike and I want to build a Singlespeed Hardtail 29er. I want this bike to be not so much racer boy bike, but something slacker, with shorter chainstays, will run a longer travel fork and will take a beating. I will be running carbon wheels, dropper post, 800mm Carbon bar, and singlespeed as mentioned so there has to be some way to tension, preferably via adjuable dropouts and not eccentric BB, but not totally against BB.. Basicically looking for a rowdy bike to run single speed..

Before anyone says anything... I work in a shop and the other shop in town is a transition and Kona dealer.. So no TransAMs, or Honzos.. I am willing to try any other companies that aren't major competitor brands to what we sell (GT, Specialized, Yeti) .. ..
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Most Aggressive SS Hardtail frame available?

Canfield Nimble 9 ticks all those boxes

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk View Post

Sure does! We have dealt with Canfield before too.. I would like to see what else other come up with, but that thing does look like exactly what I am looking for..

mtbr member
    I'm not going to suggest that this list is "complete" by any means, but I put a spreadsheet together with some SS frames and specs when looking for my next frame. My only requirement was that the frame be steel and have the aforementioned chain tensioning ability. I don't think it will take you any further than the Canfield though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&usp=sharing

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sounds like you need to switch shops. But Canfield N9 is awesome.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: Most Aggressive SS Hardtail frame available?

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Sounds like you need to switch shops. But Canfield N9 is awesome.
    I like my shop just fine, we kill it..

But I am thinking that it actually may not get better than the Canfield after some research.

banned
    Jan 2014
    2Soulscycles

Stayin' Puft

Ros9

Sounds like the OP read the marketing page for the Niner ROS9. "Rowdy" and all. ROS frame is solid, well thought out and fun.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'm not going to suggest that this list is "complete" by any means, but I put a spreadsheet together with some SS frames and specs when looking for my next frame. My only requirement was that the frame be steel and have the aforementioned chain tensioning ability. I don't think it will take you any further than the Canfield though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&usp=sharing
    Thanks for that! That is an awesome spreadsheet you have there!

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat View Post
    Sounds like the OP read the marketing page for the Niner ROS9. "Rowdy" and all. ROS frame is solid, well thought out and fun.
    Getting Shready is another possible thing I might like to do on it. I will poke into the ROS9 as well..

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I urge you to research, but I doubt you'll stray far from the N9 based on your requirements.

oh crap...
    Not as aggressive as the Canfield but a REEB might interest you. Many guys around here are running a 140 up front. Belt drive, dropper...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk View Post
    +1 on this, Canfield Nimble 9 gets my vote as well!

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    So upon searching, I seriously think that the Canfield N9 best checks all my boxes of what I would like.

-Short CS (But still Adjustable)
    -Relatively slack HT
    -SS ready
    -142 Rear end to use my existing wheels
    -Low standover an added bonus
    -Room for a big 2.4 tire

The only downfall is the 2014s come with a 27.2 seatpost.. I would have much rather preferred a 30.9 since I have 3 droppers in that size currently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swan3609 View Post
    The only downfall is the 2014s come with a 27.2 seatpost.. I would have much rather preferred a 30.9 since I have 3 droppers in that size currently.
    2013 N9 + 2014 12x142 dropouts = problem solved

I already preordered my 2014 dropouts.

I'm sure they've still got some 2013's in the warehouse, and they will probably give you a deal on the 2013 + 14 dropout package. Give them a call.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    On the cheaper side, Charge have some SS Hardtail option, but you'll be building that up yourself if you're at all picky on parts.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    On the cheaper side, Charge have some SS Hardtail option, but you'll be building that up yourself if you're at all picky on parts.
    Already building up on my own with Carbon wheels, Pike, dropper post and wide cockpit. Looking for frame only.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    2013 N9 + 2014 12x142 dropouts = problem solved

I already preordered my 2014 dropouts.

I'm sure they've still got some 2013's in the warehouse, and they will probably give you a deal on the 2013 + 14 dropout package. Give them a call.
    I will give them a call and see. That would be perfect. You know What changes between model years? I'll ask over in the Canfield forum if you arnt sure off the top of your head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I will give them a call and see. That would be perfect. You know What changes between model years? I'll ask over in the Canfield forum if you arnt sure off the top of your head.
    Between 2013 and 2014, the 12x142 dropouts, the seat post size, and the rear brake routing moved from the chain stay to the seat stay. Other than that I think its pretty much the same. I'm not familiar with the Gen1 specs, but I think they had more XC like geometry. But again give them a call and they can fill you in on all the details. Thats one great thing about Canfield, every time I've called during business hours, A real person answers.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Carver ti420! Love mine.
    • Titanium
    • Short chainstays
    • Slack Headtube
    • 120-140 mm fork
    • Any rear dropout configuration you can think of
    • 31.6 seatpost

Sold my 2nd gen nimble 9 and got this. No regrets.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    That carver is sick.. Dont know if I want a TI frame. And it's considerably more expensive than the others. But looks killer for sure!

mtbr member
    Ventana El Commandante. I had one custom made last year. Had routing for a dropper and short chainstays with room for a 2.4 tire. Also had a custom headtube designed for it and has sliders that do NOT creak!

Deere Rider
    So after buying a Enduro Comp 29, I decided I didnt really like the way the bike rode and decided to sell it.. But I also put some time on a friends custom built SS 29er and loved it.

I am opting for a 27.5 trail bike and I want to build a Singlespeed Hardtail 29er. I want this bike to be not so much racer boy bike, but something slacker, with shorter chainstays, will run a longer travel fork and will take a beating. I will be running carbon wheels, dropper post, 800mm Carbon bar, and singlespeed as mentioned so there has to be some way to tension, preferably via adjuable dropouts and not eccentric BB, but not totally against BB.. Basicically looking for a rowdy bike to run single speed..

Before anyone says anything... I work in a shop and the other shop in town is a transition and Kona dealer.. So no TransAMs, or Honzos.. I am willing to try any other companies that aren't major competitor brands to what we sell (GT, Specialized, Yeti) .. ..
    Way off topic...apologies. If I remember correctly, you previously rode an ASR 7. Is this correct? I went from an ASR 7 to Covert 29 to Enduro 29. I would be interested in your decision process to buy the Enduro 29 and why you ended up not liking it. I'm just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Way off topic...apologies. If I remember correctly, you previously rode an ASR 7. Is this correct? I went from an ASR 7 to Covert 29 to Enduro 29. I would be interested in your decision process to buy the Enduro 29 and why you ended up not liking it. I'm just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
    Went from the ASR7 to an alloy SB66 to a carbon SB66, then sold my alloy and gave my dad the SB66c and decided to try the Enduro 29 since it's the "best" Enduro bike on the market, at least according to all the press. I honestly just have never been really that happy with the specialized FSR bikes I have owned and ridden. I absolutely favor the switch pivot and even the ASR7 and 575 single pivot over the FSR..

Climbing feels uninspired and dead to me. The enduro 29er is an absolute slayer descending though. If racing enduro was my gig, I would keep the enduro, but with how much I jump, the 29er never played well with me, it's too much wheel to be able to really throw around in the air and feel playful on... *queue picture of Vories with his enduro 29 sideways.*

[IMG] http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb10826083/p3pb10826083.jpg [/IMG]

And I have some financial issues that need addressing, so I am going to sell the enduro, build a HT 29er and use the rest for bills. And then go back to the new Yeti all mountain bike in the summer. I won't say that it's not the best aggressive 29er out, because it is by far the most Agro 29er I have ridden, but those wheels are still really big for playing with big air and my hacktacular moto whips. A 27.5 all mountain/mini DH bike will suit me well with the addition of a SS 29er for XC use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ventana El Commandante. I had one custom made last year. Had routing for a dropper and short chainstays with room for a 2.4 tire. Also had a custom headtube designed for it and has sliders that do NOT creak!

What were your exact specs, frame size etc.? I'm a big fan of the el com and have questioned whether or not to customize. I'm looking to run it singlespeed and rigid for now, but will eventually add suspension and gears. Are you still able to run a belt drive? Any info appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast