Hisforever

More camparos: Rallon Smash knolly Fugitive Ripmo Sentinel Scott ransom

Trying to decide what bike to go for is a hard decision nowadays. Seems like its coming down these few.
    Knolly Fugitive: Looks to be promising, slightly more pedal centric than previous trailbikes like the Warden? These bikes work well, you either like how they look or dont.
    Devinci spartan 29???
    GG Smash looks pretty killer, i think the bb will get kinda tall if i put a 160mm fork on. Do they sell to shops? or just direct?. i can get a better deal through a shop than on my own...

Orbea Rallon: Seems like the Orbea will be the same for one more year then most likely updated. Is that a bad call to get one this late? looks like a great all arounder.

Turner could have something in the pipeline??? I wish. This doesnt look likely.
    If it looked like the Flux 27.5 with progressive #'s that would be killer

yeti 150 is probably too much $$ and my shop doesnt get them yet.

Carbon Sentinel to save some weight. i have ridden one shortly and got along just fine. These bikes just seem cheaply built to me. I know they ride well but i dunno, dont want to hurt anyone's feelings. not bashing, just being honest. still in the running

Trek Slash??? damn, too many options
    Pivot Firebird 29?
    Scott Ransom??? BIKE Mag bible guys really liked it
    IBIS Ripmo??? read where some guys that demoed didnt really like compared to some others.

Im sure we could all get along with any bike listed here but i just want the one that checks off the most boxes.

ride on
    Last edited by SHAHEEB; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:59 PM.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm pretty much on the same boat. I noticed all along the year, I tend to be terrible at punchy climbs/hard power pedaling after a turn. So I want something punchy and stiff. I'm comfortable in the steeps/chunk on pretty much anything.

My short list includes:
    Mondraker Foxy 29er (demoed, loved it) - Super efficient, smasher, not a "fun" bike relatively
    Transition sentinel (demoed, loved it) - Smasher, super fun bike, doesn't climb too terribly given its abilities
    Orbea Rallon (trying a large and XL tonight to see which one I demo)
    GG Smash (I know these bikes already, love them) - super good up and up down, fun, local team of friends, not as fun at the Sentinel, but more than the Foxy. EDIT: I know many riders riding it with a 160mm fork. Given how fast they are, I don't think it's an issue!
    Norco Range 29 (I can get a decent deal) - TBD
    Rocky Instinct BC (I've heard the best about this one) - TBD
    Ibis Ripmo would be nice to demo too, it ticks a lot of boxes! - TBD
    I want to add the Starling Murmur in there, but realistically, I don't think I would get it without a demo...

I'll follow this thread.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

I Like bikes, I really do

This place needs an enema
    Real hard to go wrong these days, especially if you're hip to the geo nuances between the options on the table.

Hisforever
    This is exactly why i was posting. There are multiple little nuances that I was hoping could become exposed

I think if we were racing, it would be a good idea to look for a bike to improve your weaknesses. In my case, I just want to have the most fun, so maybe an all arounder. Wheres skinny Bex?
    Jesus Saves

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    His response would be predictable.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Hisforever
    what would your response be???
    Jesus Saves

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My response would be: I donít know you, your skillset, where you ride or what youíre looking for in a bike. Thus, any input from me would basically be me picking the bike I like best. Which is useless for you.

Of your list, Iíve owned a Smash and an Instinct. Both past tense. The Instinct was pretty vanilla for me. Nice-looking, OK at most things, but not special. The Smash was an excellent climber shockingly, but far too, uh, firm in the descending department. I did not like it.

Riding buddy has a Sentinel and loves it. I wouldnít be holding my breath for anything from Turner, though Iíd love to see bigger-travel 29.

Hisforever
    Fair enough: this is me, i'm riding a few different areas. One is pretty smooth flow type trails(berms/jumps). Another is rockier chunkier, the kind that makes your suspension feel shitty usually compared to the flowy area. and another is faster dusty, open, semi whooped out moto type trails.
    I can climb and desecend, i have skills.
    My last bikes were evils (following/insurgent) knolly warden carbon intense tracer/carbine.
    I'm looking for a bike that has more plush nature than firm this time. I prefer coil if i have a choice.
    Although i was on the wrong size. i did sample an instinct bc edition and would agree with you, it felt pretty basic, but at the time i wasnt sure because it was stiff and too large...
    Right now, I am leaning towards the sentinel b/c its available now. If its not all that it should be easy to sell. And the orbea but have to wait 3 mos for a special order

please feel free to recommend anything not on the list.
    Jesus Saves

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Word. I'm in Arizona, so mostly Phoenix riding (big rocky gnar, very little dirt, high consequence) with some Sedona/Tucson/Flagstaff.

I'm currently running a '19 Stumpy as my trail bike and a YT Capra CF 29 as my bigger bike.

The Instinct is not plush. The Smash, even in Plush mode with a coil, not plush. To be honest -- and I paid for all these bikes out of pocket, so I don't really have a dog in the fight; I wanted all of them to be awesome -- the new Stumpy destroys both those bikes. No one likes to hear it because, you know, Specialized, but for me it's 100% true.

The Capra is an absolute monster descender. I mean, ridiculously dialed, plush and fast. I wouldn't want to pedal it around all day, though.

I'd be interested in the Knolly if I didn't have my trail bike slot already dialed. The new Yeti looks great, but I still don't trust their build quality in this environment.

My buddy loves his Sentinel. I pedaled one around a bit and it seemed fine, but no real experience.

If you want a plush bike that you can still put miles on, the E29 or Slash are hard to beat. Or, a dark horse, Banshee Prime. Plush, excellent pedaler, relatively cheap.

Hard to make a bad decision.

mtbr member
    The Norco Sight might be a good bike to look into. Lots of great reviews on that one.

I demoed a 27.5 one and really dug it.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can you define what "fun" means to you and why Sentinel>smash>foxy?

Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    I'm pretty much on the same boat. I noticed all along the year, I tend to be terrible at punchy climbs/hard power pedaling after a turn. So I want something punchy and stiff. I'm comfortable in the steeps/chunk on pretty much anything.

My short list includes:
    Mondraker Foxy 29er (demoed, loved it) - Super efficient, smasher, not a "fun" bike relatively
    Transition sentinel (demoed, loved it) - Smasher, super fun bike, doesn't climb too terribly given its abilities
    Orbea Rallon (trying a large and XL tonight to see which one I demo)
    GG Smash (I know these bikes already, love them) - super good up and up down, fun, local team of friends, not as fun at the Sentinel, but more than the Foxy. EDIT: I know many riders riding it with a 160mm fork. Given how fast they are, I don't think it's an issue!
    Norco Range 29 (I can get a decent deal) - TBD
    Rocky Instinct BC (I've heard the best about this one) - TBD
    Ibis Ripmo would be nice to demo too, it ticks a lot of boxes! - TBD
    I want to add the Starling Murmur in there, but realistically, I don't think I would get it without a demo...

I'll follow this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    This is exactly why i was posting. There are multiple little nuances that I was hoping could become exposed

I think if we were racing, it would be a good idea to look for a bike to improve your weaknesses. In my case, I just want to have the most fun, so maybe an all arounder. Wheres skinny Bex?
    Rallon won't be seeing an update until at least 2021 releases which would be August/September 2020

It's the best All Around bike listed above followed by the Ripmo and RM non BC Instinct. The Rallon has the best blend of climb/descend/Geo/weight and build quality of all the bikes listed

Best Gravity bikes are Sentinel, Smash, FB29 and most likely Spartan.
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy
    Trek Emonda SL7

mtbr member
    The Yeti SB150 is a wildcard because they basically copied and pasted the Transition Geo except the Yeti Kinematics are the best in the bussiness and with the new Clevis/Yoke extender the leverage ratio is wider and a bit more progressive leading to a bike that can run damn near any shock and be fun and compliant.

Streetdoctor is a fast Pro Class racer and just picked his up day 1 release and agrees Yeti finally hit a home run with the package they put out on this bike with Geo/Suspension and he's ridden them all...Smash, E29, Sentinel and so on.
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy
    Trek Emonda SL7

mtbr member
    The Spartan 29 is the bike that'll be a contender for the "Championship Belt" because it'll be built like a tank, Split Pivot Rules DW stuff, Supportive suspension like all Devinci's but still can use the last bit of travel...good thing, last few bikes have had great Geo....Reach, STL, STA and WB without getting stupidly extreme.

2019 builds are Priced really well if you wan't a frame or build so ton's of Value
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy
    Trek Emonda SL7

mtbr member
    I was looking for a new bike and pulled the trigger on a Knolly Fugitive LT frame, building it up to be durable but not super heavy (carbon wheels, but everything else is alloy) and with an air shock for now.

I considered the Rallon, but it got crossed off the list when I heard about the limited tire clearance out bike. I could work around it, but why should I when there are so many other options without that limitation?

The GG Smash was also on my list and it came down to that and the Fugitive. I'm sure I'd be happy with either. Actually, I'd be happy with any of the bikes you listed.

Whatever you pick, I'm sure it'll be rad.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    Can you define what "fun" means to you and why Sentinel>smash>foxy?
    I'll try to do my best .

Basically, the foxy is super hard to throw sideways on jumps. Also, it corners damn well, but it's all controled, like on a rail. The Sentinel, you could just throw it with your hips in a corner, and make the rear drift to catch a root or a little something. Probably a bit slower at race pace, but more "fun" by my definition.

I'm picking up the Rallon in 30 minutes, for the rest of the weekend, I'll add it to my list

From what I've read above, I SHOULD go against my principles, and demo that Yeti SB150 and the new stumpy, but I would considering that as treason...
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    The Spartan 29 is the bike that'll be a contender for the "Championship Belt" because it'll be built like a tank, Split Pivot Rules DW stuff, Supportive suspension like all Devinci's but still can use the last bit of travel...good thing, last few bikes have had great Geo....Reach, STL, STA and WB without getting stupidly extreme.

2019 builds are Priced really well if you wan't a frame or build so ton's of Value
    New Spartan 29 will have almost same geo as the 27.5, but with steeper Seattubeangle (same reach, same HA, slightly longer WB). Spec is expensive and they still put Guides on them which is just ridicolous... and of course: Superboost, so costum build will be a problem I guess (if you want to take a wheelset and not build your own...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sb150 has even a steeper seat tube angle than transition sentinel at 77 vs 76.3 (at least what I At what point is it too steep?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Smash is firm, but not harsh, climbs as good as any bike Iíve ridden, descends fast, may not be plush, but itís also not a bean bag. If you want an easy chair rider, you compromise on climbing and stability. GG made a choice, maximized climbing prowess and crushing the descents. Wear a padded brief and run a decent seat, the Smash is great bike. I prefer air front and rear.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29
    XMed GG Smash 29
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind View Post
    Sb150 has even a steeper seat tube angle than transition sentinel at 77 vs 76.3 (at least what I At what point is it too steep?
    Go check out the STA on the Pole website for the Evolink bikes as I believe they are between 78-79 degrees

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have seen it. I guess I need to try it before I shake my head at it. At some point I got to believe there will be some finishing returns-maybe I climbing??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind View Post
    Donít get caught up in the numbers... all companies measure differently. The Sentinel is more slack than a GG smash with a 160 fork (measured 75.2 supposedly), and also an Ď18 S Enduro. The Yeti is slightly more slack than the Smash but just barely.

Hisforever
    Thanks to all for the reply's.
    Ended up ordering a medium Sentinel x01. This was the quickest pain free ride available.
    Fitting an 11/6 stoked
    happy trails boys
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    Thanks to all for the reply's.
    Ended up ordering a medium Sentinel x01. This was the quickest pain free ride available.
    Fitting an 11/6 stoked
    happy trails boys
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29
    XMed GG Smash 29
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)