mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Moots MX Divide visits Bethel Cycle

Great day in Bethel CT. yesterday as the Moots demo van visited Bethel Cycle. Despite rain and temps in the 50's a hard core group of riders showed up to sample the Moots 29ers. I was lucky enough to spend an hour or so on the new MX Divide. The set up was pretty simple and I was able to "copy" the position from my 2012 XL Superfly 100 to the 20" MX. The MX Divide was set up with a full XX kit and FOX excellent 100mm Kashima Factory fork. The riding conditions where about as bad as it gets for bike testing. Wet roots and green slippery rocks and some pretty technical trails. Overall the MX Divide is a very solid bike and I felt right at home and very confident in its behavior. The suspension is very plush and has a bottom less feel and yet is very efficient when climbing (even when standing up on fire road climbs). The bike surprised me on several occasions as I cleared sections that are tricky even on dry days, this bike just kept going and the rear tire (Racing Ralph) just kept hooking up on the slippery roots and rocks. Obviously it takes longer than an hour to have a real valid opinion of a bike however I have owned a lot of bikes and this is one great bike out of the box. If I could swing the $$$, this would be my everything bike. No problem to race this bike (I race PRO/Open) and also use as a play bike. I wouldn't hesitate to slap a 120 or a Talas fork on it for some serious off season play. This bike is for anybody tired of scratched or cracked carbon frames, a MOOTS fanatic or anybody requirering a custom geometry. Yep, it is expensive but the craftsmanship and the product execution is second to none. Also, fully rebuildable rear suspension and you have a lifetime frame.
    Call Sean or Scott at Bethel Cycle in Bethel CT for a second opinion. Bethelcycle.com

Cheers,
    Johan

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow, I grew up in Bethel and got my first bike from them for christmas one year (probably mid 80s)...I believe it was a lime green diamondback bmx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just wish the price were more reasonable.

mtbr member
    Johan is an assasin on the trail...

Nice review.

Love the moots- but price is way high.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tiguan View Post
    Wow, I grew up in Bethel and got my first bike from them for christmas one year (probably mid 80s)...I believe it was a lime green diamondback bmx.
    I love that about the shop, for as much as we have grown the stories of people getting BMX bikes from us back in the day is great, that is when The MacKenzie's ran the shop. Seeing the old school Bethel Cycle stickers from bike 15 years+ old is fun and makes me happy to be a part.

As far as the Moots MX Divide, it is really amazing but I certainly see that it is a hard pill to swallow for the price and reserved for a small portion of the public. I certainly believe that their hard tails are a a great option for a life time bike and this FS bike is a great option for some one looking for a ultra durable alternative to many of the carbon wonder bikes that are through out the industry. The artistry of the bike is some thing to behold but the ride is really what is going to sell it! The bike is certainly a serious option for the cyclist who chooses to priorities such a purchase over off the shelf models. The price is not for every one but the ride quality and craftsman ship certainly is and I am proud to sell Moots at Bethel Cycle and it was a blast to have Matt lets us put them through their paces in the pouring rain on some vicious trails. The bikes are spot on for race/ trail oriented bikes, and I even think I heard one of our hardcore 26" proponents say the 29" Mooto X RSL would be his choice for his race bike over his Yeti FS bike!

Not a bad day at all on some seriously awesome bikes!

mtbr member
    Whats the figure on the price?

And how heavy was it compared to your Superfly 100? I am thinking of going Moots (MX DIVIDE that is) this year from my 2011 SF100 Elite LG frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Builds being equal, I would imagine about 1lb difference between carbon SF and MX. I didn't weigh the bike but it rides "light". If you have the money, I would pick the MX. Smoother travel and better quality of frame build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcraft29er View Post
    Builds being equal, I would imagine about 1lb difference between carbon SF and MX. I didn't weigh the bike but it rides "light". If you have the money, I would pick the MX. Smoother travel and better quality of frame build.
    I hear you. I very much like that bike as well as their custom fit and life time concepts.

What are the prices for their frames? Just found some number on here - 5K for just the frame, is that about right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A mere $4995 for a hand made USA made frame and rear Fox Kashima shock. Frame, a high end Fox fork to match, some nice hoops and a premium gruppo and this bike is quickly approaching 10k. Very much in line with a lot of other top tier carbon wonder bikes like a S-Works but certainly a bit more resilient to rock impacts and we have plenty of those around New England.
    The ride is dialed but it does sound like custom geometry will be an option once they get caught up on production of the pre-sold bikes.