Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Expert Crasher
    Nice - another 'RSL' in their line up. http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/08/19/...ium-road-bike/
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Any mention on what Moots is charging for this new offering?

mtbr member
    Reminds me of the Specialized S-Works Hardtail in Ti. Little steeper seat tube angle, little slacker head tube angle, little longer chainstays. Looks really nice. I don't really think heading towards a 30.9mm seatpost is a great idea, but that is coming from someone who rides a 30.9mm post and weighs 160lbs (and wishes for a frame built around 27.2mm. Funny that Specialized made that change for 2011). I am sure it will feel great under anyone heavier than I am.

jms
    mtbr member

USE reducer bushing

Quote Originally Posted by ia_ss157
    I don't really think heading towards a 30.9mm seatpost is a great idea, but that is coming from someone who rides a 30.9mm post and weighs 160lbs (and wishes for a frame built around 27.2mm. Funny that Specialized made that change for 2011). I am sure it will feel great under anyone heavier than I am.
    We agree. And that's why USE 30.9 x 27.2 reducer bushings were invented, and I'm using one on my Kish, along with a Moots 390mm Ti post.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrack
    Any mention on what Moots is charging for this new offering?
    It won't be cheap
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow- I'm suprised this flew under the radar and only had 6 replies. I sort of feel its going to be a price vs. the standard moots. I also don't feel the marketing on the moots page is very informative. Is it all straight gage? Usually butted tubes are in the first few lines of the description, same with the 6/4 (as the Vamoots RSL has in its seat stays) It pretty much seems to be the same as the Mooto but has a bent down tube so you don't gash your fork on it - which is a terrible design flaw. It has an inset hs - wich honestly looks out of place. It has a slight geo tweak. On the other hand, I know they will sell, but do you think its worth the extra 1+k$?

breathing helium
    This is a great option (albeit expensive) for racers who don't want to go carbon. I'd love to ride one.

Geordie biker
    awesome bikes, best welds i have seen on a bike, i miss my rigormootis.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    $3500, which is ~$500 more than a Mooto-X.

Inset/ZS 44mm headset which allows for a tapered steer tube if desired.
    Bent DT
    30.9 seat post with larger diameter ST and press-fit BB30

All of these things make for a more rigid platform. It looks pretty nice... Some of the features would be nice to bring into the standard Mooto-X.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Just saw this at interbike. While it was in the stand I was able to make the bb flex with very little effort. At that price id want something stiffer. Great looking bike though.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    Just saw this at interbike. While it was in the stand I was able to make the bb flex with very little effort. At that price id want something stiffer. Great looking bike though.
    I'd want to ride it before I made a call on the stiffness. That's part of the magic of Ti for me. It stays stiff where it needs to be and flexes in all the right places.

Expert Crasher
    In the stand Sure it wasn't the stand moving?

mtbr member
    I have no reason to lie and no it wasn't the stand. I like moots products but the bb was flexy.
    C-DALE BB1

Spear & Magic Helmet
    I have no reason to lie and no it wasn't the stand. I like moots products but the bb was flexy.
    So what was the rear tire clearance? From drevil's flickr page it looks pretty tight with a 2.1 Hutchinson (Python? looks like it). Granted, being aimed at racer types that might not be the biggest consideration, but people do race in the mud. I've gotten addicted to the fat rubber. Be-that-as-it-may, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Beautiful bike.

Expert Crasher

I'm confused.....

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm Punctuation...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I'm confused.....
    Properly punctuated, it would read:
    "...no, it wasn't the stand..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er
    Properly punctuated, it would read:
    "...no, it wasn't the stand..."
    That's what I get for using my phone to post. For you skeptics and doubters, the bike was on display at the Moots booth. The display is fixed to the wall and the bike is standing on the wheels in channels. While holding the crank arm at the 3 o clock position and the seat post I was able generate significant bb flex when I pressed downward. True, I did NOT ride it but I have done this test to several bikes including the new Salsa Spearfish. The Moots bike had a lot of visual flex. I'm sure the bike rides great but I wouldn't spend that kind of cheddar on a "race" frame with that much flex. However, feel free to disregard this post and buy the bike only to find out for yourself...
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGray
    So what was the rear tire clearance? From drevil's flickr page it looks pretty tight with a 2.1 Hutchinson (Python? looks like it). Granted, being aimed at racer types that might not be the biggest consideration, but people do race in the mud. I've gotten addicted to the fat rubber.
    Yes please - be great to get an indication of clearance from someone who's seen the prototype in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. BB Flex...

I currently own the Mooto-x Hardtail that I race. The bottom braket flex ...well, I pushed and pulled on my NON-RSL frame and it was really non-existent. I should have my NEW RSL in about 30 days (ordered last year). I saw the MootoX RSL and noticed increase stiffness on the prototype. I currently have the Vamoots RSL and it's amazing.

I would consider the flexiness claim as bogus. There is NONE in my standard MootoX and with double butting on the new RSL it is stiffer.

I'll post a picture of the new bike when I get it in a month.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    As nice as this bike looks, I just don't get the attraction of a Moots hardtail. For less than $3500 I could have any number of custom Ti builders make a frame that fits me perfectly and offer any of those options (tapered or oversized headtube, BB30, etc.). Go ahead and flame me, but that's my opinion!

Now if I was looking for a Snoots, that's a different story!

Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

not gunna flame you...

Just because someone else can make something doesn't make it worth spending the money. You could give me 200,000 dollars and I can make you a car but it doesn't mean it's going to be a ferrari

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile not gunna flame you part 2

Sorry I accidentally hit send before I was done. None of the guys could make you a bike is the same quality as a Moots RSL. It doesn't mean it'll be a bad bike but, it's the difference between a chevy and a ferrari. A better example is the difference between a ferrari kit car and an actual ferrari.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    You completely missed BikeNy's point. To put it clearly, there are MANY established Ti frame builders with a stellar reputation that will build you a full custom frame for the price of a stock Moots. Same goes with their components like seat posts for example. $300 for a Moots or $235 for an Ericksen?

I will come right out and say it, but Moots asking price for a straight gauge tubed production fame has become outrageous. I will take a custom IndyFab for less $$ thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelhurst1
    Just because someone else can make something doesn't make it worth spending the money. You could give me 200,000 dollars and I can make you a car but it doesn't mean it's going to be a ferrari

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast