mtbr member
    May 2005

Mooto-X Feedback - Lateral Stiffness?

Before you redirect me to a similar link, note the exisitng link on this topic is over two years old. I'm curious to know your experience on a Mooto-X. Specifically, does anyone have a problem with lateral flex in the rear triangle? If you don't have any problems,
    tell me how much you like your Mooto-X. I need prodding to drop this kind of coin!

I'm looking for an endurance race bike and am very attracted to titanium and the notion of a soft tail easing fire roads, long descents, etc. I'm 185 pounds and ride competitiely. I'd like to keep a build close to 25 lbs and have narrowed my search to a Mooto-X and Black Sheep HT. Thanks for any feedback.

Flight Junkie
    I've had mine for 1-1/2 yrs and have not noticed any problems with flex. I have had tires in the rear that fit tight and have never had rubbing with big torque. I like having the soft tail. That, and a layback post feels like a 2" travel bike. Bobbing is there slightly, but I don't think it makes a difference with such a minor amount. Pull up my threads and you can find pictures. I think Moots have the nicest welds in the business and that shows me they are artists when making their frames. I like the look of the Blacksheep too, but for endurance racing, I think the YBB Mooto-X would be the ticket.
    ROTOR HEAD

mtbr member

I have had both bikes.......

I would go with the Blacksheep. Made to fit your body like a glove.

mtbr member

I have both

I bought a Moots Mooto X hardtail last year and loved it. Trust me flex will not be an issue. It does have the titanium feel but it is stiffer than any ti bike I've owned/ ridden. (I have owned several and ridden a few more) I just took delivery of my Blacksheep about a month ago and the difference is night and day. The BS was noticeably more compliant in my driveway and truthfully I thought "Oh no this thing is gonna be a noodle". Out on the trail my fears were put to rest. This bike climbs just like the Moots, but has this really nice cushiony (is that a word?) feel in the rear. They both feel the same as far as lateral flex, unnoticeable. (I am 6'2" 175 and both bikes are in the 19.25-19.5 seat tube/23.5-24 ETT range) I am mistified at how different the two bikes ride, and the geometry / spec is nearly identical (both have laid back Moots seatposts, sliders and the same saddles). My guess is the wishbone rear in the Moots gives it more stiffness and that the curvy tubes add to the BS comfortable ride. I love both of the bikes alot but I'd probably have to pick the BS for the longer rides/ endurance racing and the sheer esthetics of the tubes. I would give a very very slight edge to Moots for the welds. Don't forget the BS ti fork, lighter than the Pace carbon and much better ride qualities. Oh, and the BS headbadge upgrade is worth every penny. Sorry for the novel, but I felt my 2c were justified since I have both.

Oh, and one more thing to consider. The BS is fully custom for about the same price, and James delivered the goods faster than Moots, FWIW.
    Last edited by tibiker325; 11-29-2006 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

... and if we just ... MootoX

This is a good thread. I am just about to part with coinage for a demo MootoX in Australia and like you I had to ask lots so as not to get it wrong!!!! By the time I get this frame and build it up you will more than likey have one so I will just post the pics....eventually. Good luck The Moots/BS choices are both available hee but the cost is horrendous i.e. add a $1000 for each of the frames and thats US $ yes you read that right. Hence the requirement to get it right 1st time!

Good luck
    Can't wait for mine now

Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have ridden a YBB for several years and went to the Mooto X two months ago....couldn't be happier! I weigh 215 and do not have a problem with flex, there is certainly vertical compliance but I never have the feeling that energy is being wasted in the frame. Moots did change the geometry for the Mooto in '06...don't know how much of a change it was. Mine built with a decent mix of parts with out getting stupid light (sram x-9 stuff, xtr cranks, etc) weighs in at 25.75.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just to clarify, you have the Moots HT, correct? I would rather go with the BS, but like/want the soft tail ride of the Moots.

THANKS for sharing your experience.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Gearguywb....what size if your frame and what psi are you riding the rear shock at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti 1x1
    Just to clarify, you have the Moots HT, correct? I would rather go with the BS, but like/want the soft tail ride of the Moots.

THANKS for sharing your experience.
    Yep both mine are hardtails, no YBB rear end on my Moots. I have ridden them before and it would definitely be more plush than either of the HT models you're considering. Also, be aware that James @ BS has a soft tail, it's called the Fastas. There's a 26 in version on the website, don't know if he does it in a 29er or not. I would assume he does. The one pictured actually has a shock but knowing James, you could probably get it w/ a spring like a YBB. He's pretty flexible when you speak w/ him about bike design.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Frame size is an 18....no psi it is a spring and bushing.

Just go ride!

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Not much for me to say. I love my Mooto-X YBB. Comfortable enough for all day (or all week) in the saddle, and try as I might, I haven't been able to break it yet! I'm sure I'd be happy with a BS too, but I really can't say enough good things about my Moots. It really is all I've ever wanted in a bike.

P.S. I've never experienced major lateral flex in the back. I've taken it off of 3' drops with 2.3" Exiwolves with no tire rub at all. Maybe this is good? Maybe this is bad? But, like I said, I haven't been able to break it yet...

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    P.S. I've never experienced major lateral flex in the back. I've taken it off of 3' drops with 2.3" Exiwolves with no tire rub at all. Maybe this is good? Maybe this is bad? But, like I said, I haven't been able to break it yet...
    No rubs with the 2.3"? That's nice. How's the clearance with them on? What year is your Mooto-X?

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSwami.com
    No rubs with the 2.3"? That's nice. How's the clearance with them on? What year is your Mooto-X?
    Yep. Clearance is ~ 1/4" at the YBB, and a tiny bit more around the chainstays. I don't have 'em on right now, and this is the best pic I could find.

Would the wheel rub be more of a wheel build stiffness issue rather than a frame lateral stiffness issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti 1x1
    Before you redirect me to a similar link, note the exisitng link on this topic is over two years old. I'm curious to know your experience on a Mooto-X. Specifically, does anyone have a problem with lateral flex in the rear triangle? If you don't have any problems,
    tell me how much you like your Mooto-X. I need prodding to drop this kind of coin!

I'm looking for an endurance race bike and am very attracted to titanium and the notion of a soft tail easing fire roads, long descents, etc. I'm 185 pounds and ride competitiely. I'd like to keep a build close to 25 lbs and have narrowed my search to a Mooto-X and Black Sheep HT. Thanks for any feedback.
    I have a Moots Mooto-X and a Black Sheep hardtail. Both were built for me, to my specs. Both are what I consider 'flexy', or 'noodly' or even 'whippy'. And that's precisely why I bought them. I wanted them that way to keep me from getting beat up on longish rides. To me, a stiff frame isn't much fun to ride after the first hour, and I never ride for any less than two.

I love the supple, compliant ride of my Black Sheep HT and James was great to work with. But for endurance riding or racing I'd never use anything less than a softtail. As I age I find myself thinking only about more travel, but my Moots has been so perfect for me that I have a hard time crossing the bridge to replace it.

Good luck with your project.

MC