mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Monstercross for short riders?

I'm 5'6" and am wondering if the monstercross set-up will work for me. I ride most of the time with my hands on the hoods. Since the top tube length on MTB are usually a few inches longer compared to road bikes, should I just stick with a frame that has more road geometry? I'd like the sloping top tube of MTB frames but it seems that you have to use a really angled and short stem when using drop bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    29ers have a tendency to a higher handlebar position so I think they work well for a drop bar setup. Specially for a small frame like you will need.
    I built a monstercross bike up on a frame I already had and found I used it a lot. I bought a size smaller than usual frame, transferred everything over and run a long seatpost - that helps reduce the handlebar reach. You would likely need a 14.5" frame to do that.
    The usual cross handlebar is less deep in the drops plus the brake levers are usually run higher on the bars, all of which help.
    Since I'm taller (and old), I still had to use lots of spacers and an angled stem.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien555 View Post
    I'm 5'6" and am wondering if the monstercross set-up will work for me. I ride most of the time with my hands on the hoods. Since the top tube length on MTB are usually a few inches longer compared to road bikes, should I just stick with a frame that has more road geometry? I'd like the sloping top tube of MTB frames but it seems that you have to use a really angled and short stem when using drop bars.
    If sized and setup accordingly, why wouldn't it work? Drop bar setups as you described get the bars to roughly where'd they be on a conventional mtb. Not really sure what all the "MC" is all about.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    thanks for the comments. Are there any drawbacks to having a long seat post? I ride a 16.5" frame normally.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The long top-tube on the mtb frames is to avoid toe overlap in the small sizes. You will get overlap on a cross style frame with big tires, I bet. Something to think about. It limits your technical riding a lot. A mtb frame with a short stem will probably get you in the right position.

Long seatposts are good, btw. More flex and comfort