Working Man's Toilet

A Monster Ate My Milk Money!!!!

The birth story of a MONSTER...
    I moved further away from my local trail about a year ago. It is a 10min downhill and a 20min uphill ROAD ride to get the the same trail that was 5min flat road ride. My ride time is limited due to a cadre of ankle biters, and a quick 1 hour ride from home was perfect, now complicated by 30min road experience. The Milk Money SS sat and sat. I tried the SS money, but I could hear my knee cartilage dying a slow painful death, I attempted to drive closer, this was asinine. I wore out a set of Neves on my Behemoth, I love this bike, but steep switchback ROAD climbing is not one of its strong suits.

This started the wheels in my coconut turning. I needed a copier/fax. A machine that could hold it's own on road and trail, but be superb at neither of the two. I needed a MONSTER!!

This thing is a HOOT to ride. I have a crap eating grin every time I ride. It makes me feel like a kid again. I love it, I love it, I love it on toast!

Still shifts horribly. I have some old 8 speed STIs. I am going to go with a bar-end front shifter, leave the rear STI, that should quell most of the problems.

Used it mainly for my local road-trail-road ride, but the Moth was outta comish last week and did a 2 hour ride with a buddy, it was awesome. I did get sore wrists from being in the drops and on the hoods for so long. All in all it is AB-FAB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

rr
    I don't do PC
    Get some 2nd brake levers so you don't have to ride the hoods on the trails, I really like em on my crosser for trail riding.

mtbr member
    That's fantastic, I love it! What a neat looking bike.

Dinner for wolves
    Aghh! My eyes! They burn! What in the name of all that's sweet and juicy have you done, man? Desperate times call for desperate measures, but that is straight from the Island of Dr. Moreau. BTW, not counting YBB bikes, that may be the first FS monstercross bike I have seen on this forum. Thanks for proving it can be done...now for the love of God SWITCH IT BACK.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Thanks for proving it can be done...now for the love of God SWITCH IT BACK.
    OK swami, now it's your turn to take back the comment about my outre tendencies!

D3DO...This takes it to the next level...I love drop bar offroading but this is...something really special. Special as in small schoolbus special, but I mean that with all due respect!

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    100mm X 10deg stem, proper STI levers, and a Woodchipper Bar and you'd have a real winner there. That would position the drops, shifters, and you saddle in proper positions.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    100mm X 10deg stem, proper STI levers, and a Woodchipper Bar and you'd have a real winner there. That would position the drops, shifters, and you saddle in proper positions.
    Whose to say it doesn't fit like a glove right now?? (it doesn't and would love some help)
    100mm x10, check, what is wrong wit my STIs? Considered the woody, but thought it looked goofy- (can I say that in regards to this bike?!?!?)
    Do you think the woody would help fit?

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Aghh! My eyes! They burn! What in the name of all that's sweet and juicy have you done, man? Desperate times call for desperate measures, but that is straight from the Island of Dr. Moreau. BTW, not counting YBB bikes, that may be the first FS monstercross bike I have seen on this forum. Thanks for proving it can be done...now for the love of God SWITCH IT BACK.
    Too funny- here are some old photos for you to lament over....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    So you've got some Elixers and funky bar for sale? PM me if so. Cute baby girl!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    oy vey (the bike, not the kid)...in the words of Enel, "wow"

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Generally speaking riding offroad the drop portion of the bar offers a lot of comfort. It looks like you just swapped some road bars onto it. Without a shorter stem, the added reach of the road bars to get to the STI levers or tops of the drops probably add at least 20mm to your reach from the saddle. As you bike was set up as a 0mm offset seatpost, and a long, fat stem, your original position was probably fairly low and stretched out. Adding drops will probably just add to that, making you a bit low and long for comfort. I'm assuming a lot here, but I'm guessing it's close. Looking at you stem, a 100mm stem with some rise will probably bring the bars at least 30mm closer and 20mm higher in relation to your old position. This brings the drops to a more usable level, while returning you to approximately to where you were before.

A bar like the Woodchipper is designed specifically for this type of application. Much shallower drops, closer reach with bends to put the end of the STI levers easily within reach of the drops make it ideal for dirt drop riding. Long drop sections also provide two separate positions to stretch out on. Make sense?
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    did you swap out the regular bb7s for the short-pull "road" version?

personally, i'd have just switched the rubber, and maybe gone rigid. the drops offer some different hand positions for longer rides, but i never had a lot of fun riding drop bars on trails. i have j-bars for that now, and the bars on the prior build seem to offer some alt positions...

but, if you're lovin' it, i guess you oughta keep it. the guy above who recommended the chipper makes a good point; some drop bars with much shallower drops could help, too... it does look cool, in a rather extreme sort of way. don't know about positioning, though

hth
    -rob

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

... and if we just ...

Add a shorter, higher rise, stem (as noted by others), an On One Midge bar and bar cons to create monstercross-drop bar 29er-wierdness perfection.

These things are the best grin-inducing bikes I have ever ridden - I never thought anything would beat an SS crosser for that, but there you go...

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtezyflush
    So you've got some Elixers and funky bar for sale? PM me if so. Cute baby girl!
    Elixers are sold- hated them. Luv handles are stashed away for my next SS rig. Luvies are suh-weet- raw steel, custom length (extra long) and custom red ano spacer to make it 31.8. Check'em at groovey cycles.

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal
    did you swap out the regular bb7s for the short-pull "road" version?
    Road BB7, they work well- not as strong as hydros, but way better than Vs.