mtbr member

Monocog Hub with track cog ?

Also posted in the drive train forum but I know a lot of Monocog owners chill here. Will this cog screw onto the stock hub of the redline Monocog 29er? The monocog has the standard shimano splined hub only it won't fit a cassette. If not, Is there a screw on cog that will screw onto my hub?

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1293

There's always money in the banana stand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Eh?

You want to make your Redline a fixie? get a tomicog. tomicog.com

You want a different cog on the rear, for different gearing. Their are tons of options. Surly is nice and not too expensive.

Your redline and that dura ace cog are not compatible.

mtbr member
    I want to squeeze a third cog on the hub so I need something that screws on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There are some cassettes that separate into 3 and 6 cogs clusters. That is probably the solution you are looking for.

mtbr member
    I should have been more specific maybe. I have a bunch of cogs from a busted out casette. Right now I have two cogs on the rear hub but there doesn't seem to be room for 3 unless I screw the last one on. The rear hub of the Monocog is threaded even though it is also splined for standard shimano hubs. The part with the freehub that is shimano compatible is also too short for a whole casette. I just want to know if there is a cog that screws on the Monocog hub.

Recovering couch patato
    So, are you going to hang a derailer from it?

mtbr member
    I have a Hone derailer, I will put a longer axle on the hub. Right now it's a Dinglespeed with no derailer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you thread the cog on there will not be room for a lock ring, so it will unthread itself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
    If you thread the cog on there will not be room for a lock ring, so it will unthread itself.
    How

Its a freehub. What will unscrew it? The cog will be serving as the lockring.

-Rob.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thought about this thread a few minutes ago when I was changing gears on my Monocog, so I tried a track cog. Won't go the threads aren't even close.

Recovering couch patato
    I think track cogs come in various threads.

I use a Shimano IG end cog. This worked in the exact same way for early Shimano cassettes. 8spd spacing unless you manage mill it down some.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The old shimano cogs that cloxxki is describing will work as both a gear and a long ring. I have one on a formula hub that works fine. But you have to have another gear on there as well, or removal becomes tough.

mtbr member
    cool. It is going to be my 3rd cog. I'm guessing the reason you need another cog so that you can use two chain whips to get the track cog off.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by shishku
    The old shimano cogs that cloxxki is describing will work as both a gear and a long ring. I have one on a formula hub that works fine. But you have to have another gear on there as well, or removal becomes tough.
    That's an excellent tip I omitted to post in my earlier reference to this setup, simply had not considered it, only experience. Mine never got too stuick, luckily, and I do us other cogs with them, at all times. Not havig 2 chainwhips can make removal interesting already. But my reality has more often been loosening lock rings and IG cogs. Some smart good in the right places will probably reduce that issue to zero.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had one get stuck, because the hub was going bad and the freehub body locked up, causing me to really torque it on there. It is still there, but with a tomicog bolted to the disk mount.