Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can someone tell me what tools are necessary and the basic procedure I'll need to follow in order to replace the 20T rear sprocket on my RL Monocog 29er. If I go to an 18T sprocket will I need to shorten my chain or is there enough play in the horizontal dropout to accomodate this minor change? I typically rely on the LBS for maintenance on my full suspension bike but I with my new single speed, I plan to experiment with different gear ratios and would appreciate some help on the basics. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    All I did was use a small hammer and screwdriver. Gently tapped the lockring until it loosened. Didn't take much effort. Switched out the factory cog with a 15 and reversed the process. I didn't have to shorten the chain, but I don't have a lot of room left. This was on a 21" frame, if that makes a difference. I know I should have bought the proper tools, but I had to ride!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i switched to an 18 last week on my cog. did the same as last poster. small punch and a hammer. one light tap it was off and on as easy. i had to move the wheel axle from the front hole to the rear to keep it where i had plenty of space for adjustment.
    you are gonna love that gear. first ride with the new gear i was overshooting ever corner due to the increased speed and i swear it climbed easier with more gear in it. i dropped my previous best time on my trail by 2 minutes after realizing that i was going to have to change my normal braking points due to moving faster. my goal is to put more gear in it till i have to start pushing the hills. good luck and enjoy!

Proud Mary-achi

New question here. rear cogs?

Quote Originally Posted by buconine
    i switched to an 18 last week on my cog. did the same as last poster. small punch and a hammer. one light tap it was off and on as easy. i had to move the wheel axle from the front hole to the rear to keep it where i had plenty of space for adjustment.
    you are gonna love that gear. first ride with the new gear i was overshooting ever corner due to the increased speed and i swear it climbed easier with more gear in it. i dropped my previous best time on my trail by 2 minutes after realizing that i was going to have to change my normal braking points due to moving faster. my goal is to put more gear in it till i have to start pushing the hills. good luck and enjoy!
    Where are guys getting your spare rear cogs? LBS or online?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Got my Surly cog at Webcyclery online. Got it very fast.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pwuerstle
    Can someone tell me what tools are necessary and the basic procedure I'll need to follow in order to replace the 20T rear sprocket on my RL Monocog 29er. If I go to an 18T sprocket will I need to shorten my chain or is there enough play in the horizontal dropout to accomodate this minor change? I typically rely on the LBS for maintenance on my full suspension bike but I with my new single speed, I plan to experiment with different gear ratios and would appreciate some help on the basics. Thanks
    You need a chain whip (or just keep the wheel in the bike) and a lockring wrench, though I usually use a big pair of channel lock pliers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i used my lbs. ss is starting to really take off around here and they stock quite a selection of gears. nothing fancy but my search begins for a set of boone cogs for my explosif 2-9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm

Just want to post a quick report of how I've been doing on my NOt soo NEW MC 29er!! It has been almost 2 months seince I got it I think (not sure) and ALL I can say is YEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAA!!! freaking kick ass bike!! I have got sooo much better on the trails and have become stronger on the climbs b/c of all the SS riding I've been doing!! I love this bike and even with the minor probles (seat and headset) I can still call this a great buy!! No disk brakes yet so if anyone sees any specials pls hook me up w/the link? I know I keep askig but just been too busy to look. The only time I got free is to ride so I cant complain there!! l neways last night was my first semi big ride w/a friend of mine and the MC29er. if anyone knows about Souther Cali well I think they call this the Whitting/STT/Luge ride and it can be a little tuff if not in shape but I did good and it felt even better!! allot of climbs and semi tech drops sure made this a ride to remember!! One think for sure and I'm trying to hang with out it is the fork!! ohh mann!!! it can be very bumpy @ times!! but over all good times!!

mtbr member
    Hell ya... I have had mine for about the same amount of time and am loving it as well. It took me awile to get into the rigid thing... after a letting about half my tire pressure... well... lets just say that made a world of difference. The head set is a pain... but I think I finaly crushed it to my will. I went on my first epic about 2 weeks ago with my buddy who was on his iron horse MK III... about 75 miles through fast windy branch and root infested trails... it was definantly epic... I was supprised at how well I kept up with him (espechially becasue he is crazy fast to begin with). anyways... more or less I have the same opinion as you... killer bike... killer deal... ohh yeah... I got to ride the monocog flight a few days ago... that thing is crazy light! espeshially compared to the 29er.

mtbr member

New question here. Paging Redline Bicycles

I'm interested in test riding the Monocog 29er but I can't find a dealer in Toronto from
    the Redline website or Google - BikeZone is not responding and Bayview does not carry you guys anymore.

Help !

Mudplug.

I'm gonna sell my 26" and grow me a throat beard. Yeah.
    raise the prayer flags of the temple of one gear.

slowvelo

TRACKDADDY
    I just talked to my Seattle Bike Supply rep today and he said the Monocog 29er Flight would not be out for about three more weeks. Should hit the shelves after Inter-bike! I can't wait!! I have personnally seen the original Flight 29er and 26er 853 orange prototypes and they are beautiful!! Unfortunately using the Reynolds 853 was to expensive for the price point so they went with the Japanese Sanko Double Butted Chromoly frame instead still a great bike!!!!
    "On yere Bike!!!!",

Brandon Lockwood, KCH Inc.
    [SIZE="5"]Track Daddy Blog[/SIZE]

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9