Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monocog 29er

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Great first post Chuck, welcome to the forums and thanks for the weight info! Is that with the stock pedals installed?

It's getting time for the first purchased-Monocog 29er pics to surface...

Congrats on breaking 8000 posts, Cloxxki! good thing they pay you so well for posting here.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Law
    Congrats on breaking 8000 posts, Cloxxki! good thing they pay you so well for posting here.
    $1 per new-member welcome
    $2 per useful post or answer to a question
    $3 per deleted thread
    $5 per unasked for rant
    Double in the weekend.
    Can't complain!

mtbr member

The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!

Your name in print! Thats the kind of spontaneous publicity somebody needs!

Ok, well not quite.

But my LBS just called and he just finished assembling my Monocog! I can't believe it. I was too excited to listen to much of what he is saying, but I guess they tried to spread them around the country, and since his rep knew my order existed, they hooked it up!

I don't want to fight traffic to get there now so tomorrow morning first thing. And if the weather cooperates I think there might be a bit of dried out singletrack I know of...

I won't be sleeping tonight...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    First post on MTBR, My Monocog 29 is here. Just picked it up tonight, quick ride around the subdivision and it's great.

Thanks to Main Street Bikes in Carpentersville Illinois for getting it and setting it up quickly for me
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Monocog 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Clyde
    First post on MTBR, My Monocog 29 is here. Just picked it up tonight, quick ride around the subdivision and it's great.

Thanks to Main Street Bikes in Carpentersville Illinois for getting it and setting it up quickly for me
    Man, I'm jealous, dude - that's a sweet lookin' bike!!! cmon 2nd batch!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeti clyde, i was in the shop today and saw your bike in the back o fthe shop. Sorry, but I did sit on it as I wanted to check the size out for myself. I'm 6'2" and wasn't sure if 21 was going to be too big and your ride helped answer that question. Nice pedal choice, not too much brake clearance though. Enjoy the bike, it seemed to be a nice one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Unsuspended,

Glad my bike could help you out. Actually I wasn't sure about the size either, this bike is for my son and I to share. Hes' 6' 1" and I'm 6'. Depending on how I like it I may buy anothe one for myself.

I have a 17" Monocog 26 with discs. Discs will probally be the first upgrade as there is not alot of brake clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    hey eric...

so i brought the bad boy home today. it's sweet!
    as for sizing, i have the 19" frame. i am 5'11" with a 32.5" inseam.
    it fits me fine. i do not feel stretched out on the bike. BUT...all my friends say i ride bike that are too long for me.

i'll take it for a ride this weekend and see how it goes....

BTW...there are only 2 things i see room for improvement : the seat and the brake cable clearance over the tire.

OH!!! I bought the bike from Calabazas Cyclery in San Jose. They are getting 4 more in their next shipment (2 weeks) that are NOT spoken for yet!

Recovering couch patato
    Yeti, your bike looks like green bronze or something in that light!

I think the bikes with their stock gearing have the wheel a bit down the horizontal dropouts? any change in gearing should allow you to put the wheel more forward, thus create more brake cable clearance. On my KM it doesn't reallyhelp, but it's always going to be hard with diagonal seatstays and horizontal dropouts, I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks Cloxxki,

I didn't think of that. I was going to oder a 17 & 18t cog anyway. The stock gearing is a little low. I run 2:1 on my 26", so I wanted to get something close to that. With a 17 or 18 that should give me a little more brake clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NEthingbutlast
    hey eric...

so i brought the bad boy home today. it's sweet!
    as for sizing, i have the 19" frame. i am 5'11" with a 32.5" inseam.
    it fits me fine. i do not feel stretched out on the bike. BUT...all my friends say i ride bike that are too long for me.

i'll take it for a ride this weekend and see how it goes....

BTW...there are only 2 things i see room for improvement : the seat and the brake cable clearance over the tire.

OH!!! I bought the bike from Calabazas Cyclery in San Jose. They are getting 4 more in their next shipment (2 weeks) that are NOT spoken for yet!
    Thanks for the info. Bike looks great!

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Clyde
    Thanks Cloxxki,

I didn't think of that. I was going to oder a 17 & 18t cog anyway. The stock gearing is a little low. I run 2:1 on my 26", so I wanted to get something close to that. With a 17 or 18 that should give me a little more brake clearance.
    Also, not all V's are born equal. I *think* Shimano's are longer than Avid's for instance. My rare Vuelta's are really long.
    V technology being so simple, the metal trash bin at the LBS may contain perfectly fine rear V arms which are a bit longer than the stock ones on the Monocog. You could measure them, and ask on the Brake forum which options might make a worthy upgrade. But just using a half link or different gear ratio might open things up enough to make you feel quite comfortable.

Edit : why doesn't anyone correct me? You'd have to slide the wheel AFT in the dropout to get better brake clearance, duh!
    Last edited by Cloxxki; 04-21-2006 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

... and if we just ...

well u guys are lucky for finally getting yours!!! I still dont know when I'll be getting mine!! It looks like 2nd batch for me!! freaking sucks!

ohh well had a question. whats a nice cheap set of disk brakes to use on this bike? any ideas out there?

btw howcome I cant see the pics everyone is posting? I'm semi new to this forum so not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
    Last edited by ShinKen; 04-21-2006 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinKen
    well all u guys are lucky for finally getting yours!!! I still dont knwo when I will be getting mine!! It looks like 2nd batch for me!! freaking sucks!

ohh well had a question. whats a nice cheap set of disk brakes to use on this bike? any ideas out there?

btw howcome I cant see the pics everyone is posting? I'm semi new to this forum so not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
    Avid BB7's seem to be the most highly rated, inexpensive, reliable mechanical disk brake.
    no idea about why you cant see the pics.

Recovering couch patato
    Someone tippid a particular set of cable discs. I think it was Shimano. Really affordable. You get to use the V levers that came with the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    are the decals removable, or are they under clear coat?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Someone tippid a particular set of cable discs. I think it was Shimano. Really affordable. You get to use the V levers that came with the bike.
    I believe those were the Shimano Deore mechanical disc brakes, Cloxx.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mister pibb
    are the decals removable, or are they under clear coat?
    They are water transfer decals. Can not be peeled off or be removed easily.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinKen
    well u guys are lucky for finally getting yours!!! I still dont know when I'll be getting mine!! It looks like 2nd batch for me!! freaking sucks!

I suggest avid as well. If you are realy on a buget the bb5s are great for the money. the main difference is that on the seven you can easily adjust both pads with little red weels on the side. on the five you only have pad adjustment but set up properly it doesnt matter that much. the 5s are also a little heavier... but they are a little bit cheaper I got my last pair for 50 each when bb7s are more like 75 each. I have had a pair of each (prior to the bb5s that are on my nice new monocog) and I think it all comes down the price you are willing to pay. I didnt have a whole lot of money so I opted for the bb5s. My past experience with them is that the bb7s are just a little nicer but the difference isnt huge. if you have the money get them... if not... get bb5s witch rock for the price.

mtbr member
    I have not used shimano mecs so I dont know how they compare...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

29er

I picked up my Mc 29er on Thurs. Its been on the trail 3x. Great bike for the price. I decided to sell my $1500 29er (cant afford an expensive SS as a 2nd bike) and put more money into my Blur LT and pick one of these up. no regrets, i love riding it! the only thing I changed immediately were the narrow bars. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago, got it last week, and paid $399 out the door.

mtbr member
    narrow? sh*t... I guess they are a little. they feel ultra wide for me though. I have been riding twenty inch flat bars for about 4 months. I was even thinking of choping the MC's handle bars by about 1.5 inch on eather side. It feels a little too streched to me. I like it alot though. My LBS didnt do the best job of putting it together... I think he rushed it and Iv had to make some adjusments on the brakes and a few things like that... great bike though. Its going to take some getting used to. the bike that I have been riding alot latly is a realy compact cyclocross bike with ultra fast handling and acceleration. Iv only had a chance to take the MC on trails once.... this is my first 29er and the one thing that I dont think I like about them is the long chasis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I like wider bars, especially on an SS for out of the saddle riding. I have never liked bar ends but on an SS they feel great for control in the climbs, helps to really crank on the bars. I also tossed the pedals, and the next upgrade will be the brakes. after that it will probably stay stock until parts start breaking. I am really impressed with this bike for the $. Everytime time I ride it i cant believe I only spent that much money on it.

mtbr member
    i totaly understand were you are coming from on the bars... Im just not used to them. its been such a long time since iv ridden with wide bars. I tossed the stock breaks and put on avid mechs... and put on an old set of mallet pedles but I think they are about to break in witch cass I have to buy some new ones. the next step is a new saddle. the one that came with is not very comfortable.

never wrong
    Aug 2004
    I had the inaugural weekend on mine this weekend, and I freakin' love it. It's my first 29er, and my first dedicated SS frame...
    Just some random observations after 8hrs in the saddle yesterday:

My seatpost slipped down an inch, but I was trying to keep with a group and didn't want to stop. 10min later I realize that it seems low, but feels awesome. I'm 6' w/ a 34" inseam riding a 19" frame. I guess it was just the sweet spot...

Glad I got a shorter stem - it felt long when I test-rode, so I got a 90mm TruVativ XR. Killer. More upright position, front end comes up easier, more comfy off the back...

Clunky headset. I just couldn't get it right out on the trail, but it didn't seem to get any worse...
    Squeaky rear brake - my mech couldn't dial it either. But who needs a rear brake? The squawk is a good sign that you're not riding clean.

Didn't really mind the stock saddle, but I have a good chamois and taint of steel.

I've never felt so "in" a bike. Once I got used to the different handling characteristics, I realized I could carry way more speed through turns than I was used to - got me in trouble a couple times, but got me out more often. It felt like my center of gravity was lower.

Big wheels DO roll over everything! I cleaned rock gardens I never had, and I didn't get that feeling of the front wheel getting "stuck" between logs while going over piles. Just up and over - lovely.

I'm gonna have a great time with this bike. I hope you guys all dig yours as much.
    Later,
    ~A

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i just discovered my fork is bent. Anyone else encountered this? I thought the brakes needed adjusting. But it turns out the right fork leg is slightly more forward than the left. Anyways Im sure Redline will take care of it. I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same problem.

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaroneous
    Clunky headset. I just couldn't get it right out on the trail, but it didn't seem to get any worse...
    Squeaky rear brake - my mech couldn't dial it either. But who needs a rear brake? The squawk is a good sign that you're not riding clean.
    That's funny - I have a 19" also and I'm 6'1" and love it... I never had any seatpost slippage but the headset and rear brake did the same for me... clunk and squeak... I have a set of Avid mechanicals I'm throwing on there!

Sweet ride... can't beat that deal!

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    well... looks like I'll be out of the saddle for some time... I just took my first bad spill on it. Scraped about four inches of flesh off my arm, nearly broke my finger, and got some realy bad bruising on my hip and sholder. cause.... the f*cking seat is too narrow, riding no hands... went over a bump and ussually I just stand up and clench the seat with my legs to give my self some abiliy to absorb the shock... the damned seat was narrower than I expected and I fell off the back of the bike... ohh well.... It was my own stupidity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

what about us???

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Bicycles
    Captaind,
    I'm keeping the Monocog 853 somewhat tight lip'd until I have the samples in my hand later this month. I can say it's going to use a mix of chromoly's including a Reynolds 853 front triangle. As we get a little closer I'll release more information. From what I have seen so far, it's looking pretty sweet......Stay tuned.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Craig- Redline

Hi Craig,

I am from Singapore and I have been drooling over the Monocog for the past 3 years....
    started with the 26" monocog........925......then 29".....& now 853 29" Monocog.
    I always wanted to get a Redline bicycle BUT no one is shipping them into Singapore.
    Currently I am riding a Kona Unit & On-one Inbred SS.

Redline really impress me because you guys build bicycle for all the men on the street......
    Good price & tough bikes....keep on the good job......& pls ship some monocogs & 925 to Singapore.

Recovering couch patato
    Same for all of Europe. The local distributors daren't commit for a minimum quantity of a given adult bike model, so the bikes never hit shops, ever. sad, as the worldwide potential is huge, IMO. Not just for the legendary BMX line.

banned
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sholack
    well... looks like I'll be out of the saddle for some time... I just took my first bad spill on it. Scraped about four inches of flesh off my arm, nearly broke my finger, and got some realy bad bruising on my hip and sholder. cause.... the f*cking seat is too narrow, riding no hands... went over a bump and ussually I just stand up and clench the seat with my legs to give my self some abiliy to absorb the shock... the damned seat was narrower than I expected and I fell off the back of the bike... ohh well.... It was my own stupidity.
    NOT "cause" the phuking seat is too narrow. It isn't "too narrow". It is fine. You wrecked because you were being foolish.... but I guess you know that.

I like the seat. I was surprised I did.

Are you back on the steed yet?

mtbr member
    haha... yeah... I had another crash not long after... this time I wasnt "just being foolish" and cliped my handle bars on a tree in some tight single track. That took me out of the running another few days but It's preaty hard to keep me off my bike for too long espesially since I dont drive, I have to ride every where. Rain or shine. I am almost fully healed up and have been riding hard recently, mountain and road.

banned
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sholack
    haha... yeah... I had another crash not long after... this time I wasnt "just being foolish" and cliped my handle bars on a tree in some tight single track. That took me out of the running another few days but It's preaty hard to keep me off my bike for too long espesially since I dont drive, I have to ride every where. Rain or shine. I am almost fully healed up and have been riding hard recently, mountain and road.
    Nice!

I can only call you foolish because I am a bigger fool!

Very nice to get back on the bike and feel healthy after even a short time off.

mtbr member

Good job!

Took mine out for her maiden voyage, definately a different ride! Been riding an old school Mongose 26" for the last year.
    The bike tracks well and rolls over some decent stuff. Climbs pretty well and overall is a GREAT bike for the price. First rigid MTB ride and I can say I didn't mind it. I'll wait and see, but I still imagine I'll want a fork in the future. Brakes aren't great, but they did get the job done. Handlebars felt a bit wide for my taste and I did tag 2 trees. Poor fingers once, poor brake lever once. Fell straight on my back once too, but that was on a climb and caught up to a geared fellow rider and tried to stay on, but ended up falling over
    The 29" ride is something to get use too. Once I get a few more rides in I think I'm going to love this bike. I hope so too, seeing as this is my first MTB purchase. It fit the bill... SS, Hardtail, in my price range, good frame geometry, upgradeable, good for all around (trail/rode) and great out of the box!!
    Attached Images Attached Images