Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Redline Bicycles
    Banzai,
    I have heard of some shops not wanting to stock 29er's on their floors yet, big bummer....

If you tell me where you are, I can point you in best direction to get one. Any shop that sells Redline Bicycles can order for you. Let me know.....

Craig - Redline
    Anaheim, CA <-----

The Top Cap Guy
    Craig -

Is the first batch of bike enough to fill the orders - or will there be outstanding orders on back order after the first batch of complete bikes arrive?

Thanks
    Fred
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    FF,
    I have been told that number of outstanding orders we already have out number the amount of units we have coming in on the first shipments. Our initial forecasts were blown out of the water....... are you from a shop???

Craig - Redline

I like endos

Thank God

I talked to my Redline rep today and he said I'll get one for sure. I was a bit worried.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

The Top Cap Guy
    are you from a shop???
    Craig - Redline
    No - BikerBob.com out of Ohio was getting me one - I ordered with him approx a month ago and didn't know how it worked if the orders were back ordered in the way they were placed - or they just show up instock and then its the mad dash to get a bike ordered....

Thanks
    Fred
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Crap. My shop hasn't called back to ask for the deposit so I'm sure they haven't even placed the order for mine. Bye bye bicycle.

Looks like I'll be getting that cross bike after all...

I like endos

No dude

Quote Originally Posted by sgrady11
    Crap. My shop hasn't called back to ask for the deposit so I'm sure they haven't even placed the order for mine. Bye bye bicycle.

Looks like I'll be getting that cross bike after all...
    My rep at SBS said tomorrow before official orders can be placed. They're not in the system yet today. Also, more coming May 1. Don't give up hope.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Gold Member
    Is the price really under $600?
    That is a sweet price for a good look'n 29r. Good going Redline!
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

Always Learning
    FF,
    I have been told that number of outstanding orders we already have out number the amount of units we have coming in on the first shipments. Our initial forecasts were blown out of the water....... are you from a shop???

Craig - Redline
    Wow! Don't stick a fork in it yet!

Not a bad problem to get blown out of the water on your initial forecasts. Looks like demand continues to pressure the supply.

BB

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    Is the price really under $600?
    That is a sweet price for a good look'n 29r. Good going Redline!
    The MSRP is under $500!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The MSRP is under $500!
    Well hot damn! I thought is was going to be more than the 26" version.
    Maybe I should've waited and saved myself some $$ from the OnOne.
    (Not to say I don't like the OnOne, but @ 1/2 the price!)
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Wow! Don't stick a fork in it yet!

Not a bad problem to get blown out of the water on your initial forecasts. Looks like demand continues to pressure the supply.

BB
    Redline even doubled the first shipments after positive responses in the 29" media (here). Something for other manufactueres to learn from. Before they do, we'll just all get an extra Redline which we dearly need for...well you know...
    Unfortunately the 29" climate in Europe is not yet such that we'll see them rolling here. People are not afraid to own 1+ bikes, and the price could really make them give 29" a go.

Perhaps we'll have to run a poll to see where these Monocog 29ers are going : extra bike for already-converts, or someone's first 29", perhaps first 29SS.
    I hope some also are for the actual shop floor, dealers that are converts themselves but don't have a public to sell expensive bikes to.

mtbr member
    Im new to the 29'er world, curious how this bike at this price relates to the "you get what you pay for" saying?
    Im interested in giving a 29'er a try, but want quality products, specially on the trail.
    My lbs can get me one as stated above for under 500$ which almost scares me...
    Drop the excuses and pick up a purpose, b!tches.

kung food
    Quote Originally Posted by DnA362

No worries.

While it's prudent to be wary of new products, the 26er Monocog has been on the market for years, and despite an even lower msrp than the 29er, has developed a favorable reputation and a strong following. You may sacrafice some durability at this price point, but more likely the only significant penalty will be weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If weight has been stated already, disregard my question but what is the weight of the 17" setup if available?
    Moving on up, selling my current bike (Turner Burner) for a 29er...

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Gears and suspension forks cost a lot. Leave them off and you can make a solid bike very cheaply.

If anyone in the East Bay (CA) gets one, come by and we can do a trail shootout with my BM Flyer. Retail cost is just about the same.

highly visible
    Agreed, the 26" Monocog has been around for a long time and is very well regarded. It (and its components) are built like a tank, which means it's quite heavy for a rigid V-brake singlespeed but also indestructible. I'm sure the 29" version will be a very hot seller.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Im new to the 29'er world, curious how this bike at this price relates to the "you get what you pay for" saying?
    Im interested in giving a 29'er a try, but want quality products, specially on the trail.
    The old adage "strong, light, cheap: pick two" applies here.

The Monocog (26 and 29) is not light. The parts are reasonably durable and mostly house branded. They will do the job. No bling. Few special features (no EBB or sliding dropouts, no shaped tubing, no suspension). You do get a disc ready bike which is a cool at this price point.

The main thing you get with more expensive bikes is less weight and more features.
    This is a bike (like the 26er is) many will buy to test the 29er waters. If and when they like the big wheels (and singlespeed) they upgrade to a fancy bike.

Then there are the bike junkies like me who are getting one as a "backup" bike because it is such a good deal and it can be loaned out to friends. A bike to ride and trash and not worry about.
    mtbtires.com

WWYD?
    I've had a 26 monocog for several years now. I bought the frame and fork for like an unreal $109 bucks online. Parts off a busted stumpjumper and liked singlespeeding but now its my modified 3-speed with a Nexus wheel. Nice bike with a kick brake!

The steel frame rides really smooth. I didn't notice a weight gain compared to my old stumpjumper, even though it was about four pounds heavier at around 27 pounds on a bathroom scale. But I was more concentrated on adjusting to a singlespeed style, and I feel the 29er is going to be a lot of fun. I like the 32-20 for the hills in Marin, maybe a 22 for the ridges.

My LBS said later this week.
    Last edited by Cloxxki; 04-12-2006 at 01:33 AM.

Master of the Obvious
    Well It doesn't look like I am in the first round of Monocog fun

Just touched base with the LBS that handles Redline and they weren't sure if they where going to be able to get one from the first batch (even though I put a Deposit down on Jan 16th) It probally has alot to due with the fact its a small low volume bike shop, and they are nice but laid back , meaning no Balls.....

I heard him call his rep or distributor or whatever they have and he just kindly asked, and was told his order wasn't near the top of the list he basically said ok and left it at that.

if I don't get it quick I might just wait for the Haro Mary SS....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. I'm going to go find out about this Haro Mary right now.

I called my LBS twice over the weekend, they said they would call Redline and get back to me if I need to bring them the deposit cash, still no word. They don't seem too interested in helping me out, I don't know if they realize how popular of a bike this is turning out to be.

Maybe I'm going to have to look on the Redline site and find a different dealer.

Until then, the cash is currently going to be set aside to order an IRO Rob Roy...just waiting for the LBS to call and tell me they can't get one...(yes I am being very positive about this)

Quote Originally Posted by Angus

Just touched base with the LBS that handles Redline and they weren't sure if they where going to be able to get one from the first batch (even though I put a Deposit down on Jan 16th) It probally has alot to due with the fact its a small low volume bike shop, and they are nice but laid back , meaning no Balls.....

I heard him call his rep or distributor or whatever they have and he just kindly asked, and was told his order wasn't near the top of the list he basically said ok and left it at that.

The second shipment of MCs is due May 1.

The target date for the Mary is August assuming not too many changes are needed from the preproduction frames.
    mtbtires.com

WWYD?

Hope Bummin :^(

Quote Originally Posted by Angus

I paid the whole amount in the middle of March for the monocog.

Now, my LBS called me again today just to say that I'll have to wait another two weeks instead of the end of the week before I can get my sweaty hands on this bike. Nice shop manager taking care of his customers.

Thank God its been raining like a MF, so its not too bad waiting....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

... and if we just ...

I'm just like this guy only difference is that I'm new to the SS design as well!! I'm thinking of buying this bike but had a few questions like where in the site can I find out the standover and TT legnth? WHat is it for the 17", 19 or Medium for the 29ers?

I have two Jamis w/these top tube #s
    17" 05 XLT=22.5"
    19" 03 dakar=23.75" <--great help from my friend Kam

I'm 5-9 and weight 210 pounds (or somwhere around the ballpark )
    second question is can u put a diff fork on this bike to make it semi plush?

again, I'm very new to the Design and only been on the trails for a little over 5years!! this will be my first stiff SS bike so I got very little knowledge.

Recovering couch patato
    Are your top tubes measured effectively or actually? Sounds like you want the 17" Redline, it will be fine. If will handle wour weight no-problem, it's got lots of steel in it.
    The fork is suspension-corrected. For semi-plush you may also just consider different handlebars. At least Ti H-Bars did that for me on my Surly.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast