mtbr member

Monk vs Buzz Bomb FS

I'm trying to get more info on less expensive, full suspension 29ers on the market. I've ridden a 292 and liked that relatively well, but any comparison I've read here on the Monk vs the 292 seems to lean toward the Astrix, saying it's more plush and such (a good thing for my aging back and part of the reason I'm considering FS).

Has anyone ridden both the Buzz Bomb FS and the Astrix Monk that can give a decent comparison of the two? I ride singletrack, but I often seek out more technical trails and tend to bomb through rough sections, but no jumping to speak of or wild FR stuff. Oh yeah, and I'll admit to being a Clyde.

Perhaps I should also include the Fisher Race Day Supercaliper in this, but I'm not sure if there's enough of them on the trails yet to get any kind of comparison.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I'd spend the extra $$$ and go with a 4" Leviathan (just my $0.02 worth).
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    I know the Levs supposed to be a great bike. For some reason I had it in my mind that it was closer to $2k for the frame, but I just checked and see I was off. Does have any specifics to offer on why this would be better than something like the Monk? Keep in mind that one of the things that appealed to me about the Monk was that I read it was more plush and I wasn't aware the Lev had a rep for that.

BTW, I know the Reba is the obvious choice for bang-for-the-buck in forks, but I really haven't heard much about the lower-end Tora. Is it worth consideration if I'm doing a budget 29" build?
    Last edited by bhutata; 06-23-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    I know the Levs supposed to be a great bike. For some reason I had it in my mind that it was closer to $2k for the frame, but I just checked and see I was off. Does have any specifics to offer on why this would be better than something like the Monk? Keep in mind that one of the things that appealed to me about the Monk was that I read it was more plush and I wasn't aware the Lev had a rep for that.

BTW, I know the Reba is the obvious choice for bang-for-the-buck in forks, but I really haven't heard much about the lower-end Tora. Is it worth consideration if I'm doing a budget 29" build?
    I'll be able to shed a little light on the subject in a week or so. I have a Monk on the way to build up as a loaner/demo. I have a Leviathan and my buddy Jeff has a Asylum and we are always having friends wanting to ride that don't have a bike or someone that wants to try a 29er, so we are building the Monk for that. Should have some input in about a week.

Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

buzz bomb/ 292/ lev

I have been lucky enough to own a Buzz bomb, a 293, and 3" Leviathan. I would say the Buzzbomb is also more plush than the 293 by a good measure. I believe the Horst-type suspension is largely responsible for this feature.

The levi is quite plush too, and on both it and the Buzzbomb I found I needed to pump the shock up pretty firm to get the pedaling qualities I like. (I weighed 220 at the time) On the Lev, I had to pump it up so much that I never really used full travel. Biggest difference between those two IMHO is 2 pounds of frame weight and probably close to a grand in price difference. Both are nice and stiff laterally.

Make sure you call Van Dessel and get a quote- their web prices were wrong for a long time (too high).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyg
    Make sure you call Van Dessel and get a quote- their web prices were wrong for a long time (too high).
    What was their quoted price for a Buzz Bomb FS Frame only - even ballpark will suffice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

price

I think it was around $750-800 for frame+Float R rear shock last summer.

mtbr member
    I have been lucky enough to own a Buzz bomb, a 293, and 3" Leviathan. I would say the Buzzbomb is also more plush than the 293 by a good measure. I believe the Horst-type suspension is largely responsible for this feature.
    This is great to hear. Sounds worth checking out.

The levi is quite plush too, and on both it and the Buzzbomb I found I needed to pump the shock up pretty firm to get the pedaling qualities I like. (I weighed 220 at the time) On the Lev, I had to pump it up so much that I never really used full travel. Biggest difference between those two IMHO is 2 pounds of frame weight and probably close to a grand in price difference. Both are nice and stiff laterally.
    How would you compare the Lev and the BB FS? Do you consider the Lev worth the extra money, and if so, why?

BTW, my weight is definitely a concern if you were having trouble. My weight's in the 250-260 range, so I'll need a bike that can stand some abuse. I don't have enough opportunities to get to the trail as often as I'd like so I'm in the process of resurrecting my old road bike just so I can get some more miles in to work on my gut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    I'll be able to shed a little light on the subject in a week or so. I have a Monk on the way to build up as a loaner/demo. I have a Leviathan and my buddy Jeff has a Asylum and we are always having friends wanting to ride that don't have a bike or someone that wants to try a 29er, so we are building the Monk for that. Should have some input in about a week.
    I look forward to reading your report.

Does anyone know anyone with a FS 29er anywhere near St Louis that would be willing to let me demo? Sounds like it might be time for me to start digging into the Demo/Loaner thread.

mtbr member

Choices

DONT GET A TURNER!!!!!!

Sorry wrong thread

That is a tough one. I donít think you could go horribly wrong with either one.

Good Luck !

mtbr member
    I think it was around $750-800 for frame+Float R rear shock last summer.
    Damn that's not too shabby price-wise!

mtbr member
    Dang, I totally forgot another question I meant to include in this thread. What kind of tire clearance do any of the frames in this thread offer? Will they be able to handle the wider 29" tires coming out? I probably wouldn't go 2.5", but I'd like to have clearance for at least an honest 2.35" if that's possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

tire clearance photo

SPAM Van Dessel Buzz Bomb FS frameset

Is my old spam from when I sold the bike- it includes a photo of the rear tire clearance. I am 95% sure that was a Nano 2.1, hope that helps. FWIW, I doubt you will really need to run a super wide rear on the 29ers particularly, with the added cush, traction, etc.

For a big guy like you or I, I'd save the cash and buy some super nice wheels and components instead. The Buzz bomb was at least as stiff as the Lev, in my estimation. Outta be, for two more pounds, eh? But who's counting? $1000 should theoretically save 1000 grams of weight in my redneck upgrade conspiracy theory*, which would beat out the 2 pounds of frame weight anyway...

*On any given component, the price differential between midrange and high end is usually equivalent to about a buck a gram.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    Dang, I totally forgot another question I meant to include in this thread. What kind of tire clearance do any of the frames in this thread offer? Will they be able to handle the wider 29" tires coming out? I probably wouldn't go 2.5", but I'd like to have clearance for at least an honest 2.35" if that's possible.
    My Monk has plenty of room left with a Exi on it. Ryan, the designer at Astrix said it was designed to handle a 2.5" tire. When we get one that is.

29erchico

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tire info. I usually run 2.1s on my 26" bike, but I'd like the room there if I need it.

I know well enough to invest in durable components and not get hung up on weight. There's a fair chance if I buy just a frameset that I'd just build my own wheels. The ones I've been riding the last couple of years have held up fine with some reasonably hard use by an unreasonably large guy.