Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Mongoose XR-PRO at Walmart for $379, Anygood?

Hello everyone, I am currently in the market to buy my 15yr old nephew a mountain bike for his daily commute to school. He probably will be using it for some fun on XC trails with his friends as well.

His father (my Brother) passed away last year from a sudden massive heart attack and I have been looking out for him ever since. Funds are a little low since I have 2 boys of my own who are active in many sports and I have a tendency to spoil them. Now that I basically consider my nephew one of my boys I try to spoil him also. Really trying to find him something nice for under $500 if possible. I am providing this bit of personal information to keep the hardcore bike connoisseurs from turning this into a "never buy from Walmart thread".

I just want your honest opinions of THIS bike as if it was from an LBS.

If there are some parts that should be upgraded I can probably dish out another $200 on top of the bike. Though, I am hoping I do not have to do that so I can get accessories like a bike lights, lock, bike bag, pump, mirror, extra tubes and maybe a better seat, plus give him $100 to effectively make him feel spoiled (he might want to customize it since he is a skilled artist).

Thanks for any help you can give me.

UPDATE:
    Well I took the advice of some of the people here that said to explore other options like Craigslist. That has turned out to be the best advice EVER to find something affordable in my price range.

I came across a seller who was selling a 29" 2010 Epic Comp for $1500 in brand new condition. When I Googled the bike I realized this was a great deal, sold for $2800 in 2010. My sister bought me a Lenovo Y560 gaming laptop recently for my bday and I have not taken it out of the box since (we are not into gaming). So I figured I would send the seller a text to see if he would take $500 plus the laptop for the bike, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. To my surprise the seller text back saying he was very interested and wanted me to call him. We set up a meet for this morning in Calabasses.

When I got there with my boys (nephew included) we couldn't believe the condition of the bike. It was like he bought it and put it in his garage and never touched it again. It turned out he bought it for his own son but he never got into the mountain bike thing. The seller lives in a small palace on a hill over looking the city so money was not an object for them. All he really wanted to do was get rid of the bike so he doesn't have look at it anymore taking up space in the garage.

We kind of hit it off and started talking about other stuff, mainly about our kids. He was fascinated about the sports my boys are into (I got a feeling he was disappointed his son wasn't into sports). Since we were talking about family my Brother came up in conversation. He lost a sister to cancer 3 years ago so he understood why I was so persistent to find something nice for my nephew.

Long story short (that might be to late), The seller said I can have the bike for only the laptop since his son doesn't really want it (the laptop was for his son). I told him I don't feel comfortable doing that because I feel I'm taking advantage. He said he insists since his kid really just wants the lappy. After saying "are you sure" a few times the deal was done. We exchanged business cards also because I am a photographer and he was interested in using my services for some corporate event.

Thanks so much to everyone for giving me motivation and insight to look elsewhere and find something that will last a long time. My nephew is the happiest kid on the block.

BTW, since it was my sister who basically bought the bike I called to thank her and she didn't even remember giving me the lappy, her husband is freakin rich....lol

Just for your information, my nephew takes care of everything he owns and is an exceptional kid (150lbs, 5-10 tall, some of you might have been wondering). He was brought up by an active loving father who raised him extremely well. When my brother and I got married we made a pact to each other, there will be things in life we might fail at but we have absouletly no right to fail our children. He lived up to that pact till the day he died and I will honor his memory by living up it as well.

Thanks again
    Last edited by jaycarl; 08-21-2011 at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It's probably a better bike than what I had when I was 15 yo (back in 1985). It'll be fine for commuting to school and some light trail use. Does he need a full suspension bike? There would be fewer moving parts and fewer things that could break on a hardtail. I have a friend who has a couple of really nice bikes and a Mongoose hardtail he bought in grad school ~12 years ago. Every now and then, he'll bring out the Mongoose (complete with rear-mounted baby seat attached) to the trails just for kicks. It's held up well... I don't think he's ever even done a tune-up that bike. Your nephew should get a few years of riding on this bike before he outgrows it, or gets a car and starts driving everywhere, or goes off to college and leaves his bike chained to a bike rack in the rain/snow/sun/heat for months on end. I'd go ahead and buy it and hold off on upgrading anything. If something breaks, then deal with upgrades. You might also look at used bikes on Craigslist or eBay -- you might find a better bike in your price range. But then again, a shiny new bike would be more likely to make your nephew feel more spoiled.

The thing I find interesting is that the XR-Pro you mentioned isn't even listed on the Mongoose website. It's like they don't acknowledge its existence. I hope that isn't a testament to the build quality.
    Last edited by gearjunkie88; 08-18-2011 at 05:48 AM.

mtbr member
    These bikes are really not that bad; most of the issues I see are with the assembly. They are not intended for abuse - most of the suspension bits are a weak spot on these bikes. Add another $50 on top of that price to make sure its put together correctly and you are over $400. I think a nice hardtail for ~$400 at a shop would be a much better choice and more worthy of upgrades down the road. Also, there is always Craigslist - patience can nab you a nice used shop-quality bike.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

MTB B'dos
    I'm a somewhat bike snob, but I'l chime in anyways

That thing will probably be like a pogo stick with the suspension parts on it, I think you'd be better off looking at the local bike shop for a nicer Hardtail in that price range, much more likely to get a better bike with better components, as a $350 FS is generally "cheap", not "inexpensive" - trust me I went this route when I first started and wish I'd gotten a HT. Unfortunately the pic is not very big and they don't list the parts spec, so if you had a friend who could lookat it that knew bikes and then maybe look at what the loca bike shop had that would be helpful. If there's no local shop and your nephew likes it, then yes it would work, but I'd have it gone over by a good mechanic before you you let him ride it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

DynoDon
    They're giving you too much for your money, full suspension bikes that will last, and work cost much more, you'd better off going to the LBS, and buying a starter hardtail like a Specialized Hardrock, sure it'll cost a bit more, but you get free tune ups, fitting, and a bike that will last more than a month or two.
    While your in the LBS take a look at the bikes they're working on, lots of box store bikes, if they even will work on them. Good Luck
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    i that thing had name brand suspension and you squinted really hard, you'd never know it was a mongoose...

like was said above though... in that prace range try to stay away from sull suspension... get him a good HT (i know you said not to suggest anything else, but there are at least 2 bikes i can think of in your price range, that will LAST, and won't require the upgrading of any parts)

mtbr member
    Shipping Weight (in pounds): 47.0
    that is all

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For $500? Heres my experience with wal mart FS bikes....

Cheapo depot coil spring rear suspension, no real adjustment for rebound or rider weight, itll bounce all over the place. My box store FS bike bounced me over the nose more than a few times when I was a kid. The front shock will bottom out easily and again, theres no adjustment or lockout.

My suggestions?

Option #1. Specialized Hardrock Disc HT, $499 MSRP, and if you can find a 2010 laying around you should be able to get it out the door for under $500. Leaps and bounds better build quality, much lighter, will be worth more when he decides he wants a "real" bike. And for a 15 year old, Specialized has a little more status to it than mongoose, and that matters at that age.

Option #2: If you INSIST on a full suspension.....

2011 Airborne Zepplin
    •Frame: 6061 Aluminum 5" Travel Single Pivot Suspension MTB, w/Sealed Bearings
    •Fork: RockShox Dart 2 w/Turnkey Disc Specific, 120mm Travel
    •Rear Shock: Marzocchi Coil F
    •Headset: Ahead 1 1/8"
    •Brake Levers: Tektro Novela Sport
    •Brakes: Tektro Novela Sport Mechanical Disc
    •Rotors: Tektro 160mm Rotor
    •Shifters: SRAM X-5 Trigger 8-Speed
    •F Derailleur: Shimano FD-C050
    •R Derailleur: SRAM X-5
    •Cassette: SRAM PG-820 13-32t 8-Speed
    •Chain: KMC X-9
    •Crank: FSA Alpha Drive 22/32/42t
    •Bottom Bracket: FSA Power Drive
    •Pedals: NONE
    •Rims: Alex DP17 Double Wall 32h Disk Specific PV
    •Hubs: 32h Alloy QR Disc Specific
    •Spokes: Black 14g Stainless
    •Tires: KENDA 26 x 2.1" Front/Rear Specific
    •Handlebar: Kalloy Alloy 31.8mm Dia., 640mm Wide, Mid-Rise
    •Stem: Kalloy Alloy 31.8 Clamp Dial, +/- 7 Degree Rise
    •Saddle: WTB Speed V Saddle
    •Seat Post: Kalloy Alloy 30mm Dia., 350mm Length

Sun & Ski Sports has ti for $399 + tax and shipping, no shipping charges if you live near a sun and ski and can pick it up.

Airborne Zeppelin Full Suspension Mountain Bike 11 @ Sun and Ski Sports

workin' it Administrator
    I will say that unless he is really tall and needs a 29er bike or you only have 29er bikes and think it would be prudent to just send hand-me-downs to him (tires tubes etc) then there really is not reason to spend $500 on a full suspension 29er. As other have said there are numerous 26er HT bikes that would be a better and more durable and lighter buy than the mongoose.

Per what LnYx said, depending on your climate the suspension would most like start out really pogo-y but as soon as it got wet/dusty it would bind up and probably be like a hardtail anyway. Especially considering how little teenage boys maintain their bikes.

That said good on you for stepping up and standing behind this boy. I lost my father at an early age and could really have used a male role model to step in a help me become a man myself. It is a long and difficult road by yourself.
    Try this: HTFU

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Dang that Airborne has nice parts on it for $399! It's a 26er tho - not sure how much that matters to the OP.

I'd agree with most others on here - for the price range, a hardtail is a much better option and will last longer, be more fun (because it's lighter), etc. It also teaches better bike handling skills. There are a lot of options for hardtail 29ers under $500 - the previously mentioned Hardrock, Diamondback Overdrive (on sale everywhere for $499), Motobecane Outcast (have seen these on Craigslist too), Redline Monocog 29er (if he likes SS!), maybe some others in local shops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oops I skipped completely over the 29er bit. :facepalm:.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Oops I skipped completely over the 29er bit. :facepalm:.
    lol it's in the 29er forum

epic facepalm...

or facewall

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4runner View Post
    lol it's in the 29er forum

epic facepalm...

or facewall
    I pulled up the "new posts" and didnt bother to look at what section I was in. Its kinda like not paying attention and accidentally wandering into the ladies room then wondering where all the urinals are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

29er Hardtail forsure would be the best option

2011 GT Karakoram 3.0 Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes

something like this would be my suggestion.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

saddlemeat
    Give him your current bike and get a nicer new one for yourself. Win/win.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Hey it says Mongoose on it and it's "pro" how much more awesomeness do you need!
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Buy whatever you want. But just remember... this is a forum made up of guys and gals that give a ***** about things like head tube angle and 100gr of weight savings. So odds are you are not going to get a positive response from anyone.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    I pulled up the "new posts" and didnt bother to look at what section I was in. Its kinda like not paying attention and accidentally wandering into the ladies room then wondering where all the urinals are.
    been there

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I know many have said this already but go for a hardtail. I personally have never had or seen a good long term experience with a Walmart bike. This bike is my suggestion: Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Windsor Cliff 4900 Mountain Bikes

Motobecane, though a cheap company has a decent rep on this forum full of weight weenies and elitists. Their bikes are cheap but actually come with decent components. This bike is only slightly higher priced than what you were looking at already (still way within the extra $200 you were thinking of spending) but comes with quality components that will hold up and work smoothly. The only downside to this is that you have to do some assembly yourself, which may or may not be a big deal for you. If I was you I would definitely give this bike a look, you will make him a very happy camper.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    My buddy just bought a GT Karakoram 3.0 for $450 with tax at our lbs pretty decent bike really...

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    Buy whatever you want. But just remember... this is a forum made up of guys and gals that give a ***** about things like head tube angle and 100gr of weight savings. So odds are you are not going to get a positive response from anyone.
    I actually think the responses so far have been fairly helpful, with lots of info on other options and on what the OP can expect to get from the bike mentioned. Better than many other threads where someone asks, "what are the best wheels I can get for $300?" and people start recommending $800 wheelsets. The max budget mentioned seems to be around $500-600 for everything... all recommendations so far have been well beneath that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thank you very much for bring honest about this bike and giving me some great insight on other options. I'm going to spend some time exploring all these great options and check out the lbs with my nephew. Including him in the bike hunt will be something to do together and a learning experience for us both.

I will report back what we end up buying.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009

Please do!

Quote Originally Posted by jaycarl View Post
    I will report back what we end up buying.
    We'd love to see what your nephew ends up getting... and get a 1st ride report!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good luck! And be sure to look for last year model leftovers, I got a steal on mine because its an 2010.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    that is all
    My thoughts exactly...

At that weight thieves will have a hard time stealing it!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast