mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Money in pocket.... Niner Rip9 or Giant Trance X?!?!?!

I'm torn between a 2012 RIP9 w/ full XT build w/ Fox shocks front and rear (Talas front, not sure which rear), carbon bars and other juicy bits for just under 4k. The bike is new.

Or, Giant TranceX for around 3k w/ room to upgrade? Trance has S7/S9 build w/ typical Giant home-brew bits. Fox Float CTD front and rear and dropper post. Giant has better warranty.

I'm ready to buy one, just don't know which to go. Both suit my riding style. Either would be replacing my 04 Stumpy that I never came to grips with, but I want something to supplement my HT and SS.

I miss the good old days when I couldn't afford nice bikes and my choices were limited!

Any thoughts?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by nmeofun View Post
    I'm torn between a 2012 RIP9 w/ full XT build w/ Fox shocks front and rear (Talas front, not sure which rear), carbon bars and other juicy bits for just under 4k. The bike is new.

Or, Giant TranceX for around 3k w/ room to upgrade? Trance has S7/S9 build w/ typical Giant home-brew bits. Fox Float CTD front and rear and dropper post. Giant has better warranty.

I'm ready to buy one, just don't know which to go. Both suit my riding style. Either would be replacing my 04 Stumpy that I never came to grips with, but I want something to supplement my HT and SS.

I miss the good old days when I couldn't afford nice bikes and my choices were limited!

Any thoughts?
    You really want the new RIP. The alloy builds are here:

RIP 9

$4199 for XT
    $2999 for X7

Underskilled
    The rip might not have the best warranty on paper, but it will have the best customer support. Niner treat their customers right.

Not tried the Giant, but nothing I have tried rides like a RIP. It is the do everything bike that is fun to ride. Only thing to add is get a SHORT stem. 4/5 cm seems good. It makes it nimble (long stems make it a steamroller).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Go with the niner for sure. The CVA suspension design really works and niner takes care of their customers.

DFMBA.org

Giant's Trance X 29-1 is $2775 (I paid $2600) list with Fox suspension, an X9 rear der, and a slight upgrade on he brakes (elixir 3). Frame and shock weight is just over 5.5 lbs which is incredible for an AL frame. The oem P-XC2 wheels are nearly the same weight as my older Stan's Arches and they're easy to set up tubeless with Gorilla Tape. Oh, it also comes stock with a dropper post. Bang for the buck, it cannot be beat.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    haha buy my trance and save a lot more and do even more upgrades! I loved it but I am racing and riding a lot more xc and the wife wont let me keep three bikes or else I would. so I am keeping my superfly and my ss. bike is in the classified section... haha just a idea. either way you go your going to have a great bike be more then happy with it.
    WHEN IN DOUBT?!?! PEDAL OUT!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well I just got home from a demo ride on the Giant Trance X1. I've never ridden a full suspension 29er before, but I must say I think I'm hooked! The bike is only slightly slower than my hardtail on the climbing and it was ridiculously easy to go faster on the down hill. The DH characteristics blow away my old Stumpy FSR. I had a grin ear to ear at the bottom of each hill.

Both bikes feel about the same in parking lot rides, but I don't think I'm going to get to ride a Niner RIP9 anytime soon. My LBS is offering me 10% off and no sales tax on any Giant I choose, so that definitely sweetens the pot. I called the other shop and they can't budge on the "custom build" Niner. They have room to move on production bikes, but not the custom.

I could get the top of the line TranceX out the door for less than the Niner but minus a Talas fork (I don't think I need that), carbon post and bars. I hate decisions like this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Buy a new Yeti SB95 carbon

Carbon & Ti rule
    The Rip9 for sure, the Trance is a nice bike but the Rip9 are awesome & pedal better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No experience with the rip 9 I am sure it's a nice bike... However I have the trance 29er X1 and I love it it does everything very well. It's so nice my friends who is extreamly cheap! He rode an old mongoose for 2 years and I am talking low low end mongoose like $149 ten years ago. Well, he rode my bike and spent the $ it's that good, lol! I paid $2530 out the door Tubeless. Good luck I think you'll be happy either way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ive owned several giants and also recently purchased a niner jet9 rdo. Ive owned trance x 26er, anthemX 29, and XTC 29er. Both companies make great bikes, and I'm sure you'll get the loyal guys recommending one over the other. Both companies have good customer support and back up their products. What I've always liked best about the giants was the price. When compared to a similar bike, you usually save enough to upgrade the wheels...which is always my favorite upgrade. The RIP looks like a great bike and I almost bought one...ended up with the jet9 rdo and sticking a 120mm fork on it. It's an extremely versatile bike.

If your not worried about the price difference...then my vote would go for the rip9. Only because niner is a smaller company based out of CA who is dedicated to the 29ers. I like to support the local companies whenever possible. Both bikes are equally as capable and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the trance x...and I don't think you'd regret your decision. I'd have a fat grin on my face while riding either bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Ive owned several giants and also recently purchased a niner jet9 rdo. Ive owned trance x 26er, anthemX 29, and XTC 29er. Both companies make great bikes, and I'm sure you'll get the loyal guys recommending one over the other. Both companies have good customer support and back up their products. What I've always liked best about the giants was the price. When compared to a similar bike, you usually save enough to upgrade the wheels...which is always my favorite upgrade. The RIP looks like a great bike and I almost bought one...ended up with the jet9 rdo and sticking a 120mm fork on it. It's an extremely versatile bike.

If your not worried about the price difference...then my vote would go for the rip9. Only because niner is a smaller company based out of CA who is dedicated to the 29ers. I like to support the local companies whenever possible. Both bikes are equally as capable and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the trance x...and I don't think you'd regret your decision. I'd have a fat grin on my face while riding either bikes.
    How is Giant cheaper? He is comparing a full XT build to an X9/7 mix. Now make that Trance the full XT build and it's $4200 and it still comes with a bunch of Giant parts including the wheels, so its not cheaper. Apples to apples.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well I just got home from a demo ride on the Giant Trance X1. I've never ridden a full suspension 29er before, but I must say I think I'm hooked! The bike is only slightly slower than my hardtail on the climbing and it was ridiculously easy to go faster on the down hill. The DH characteristics blow away my old Stumpy FSR. I had a grin ear to ear at the bottom of each hill.

Both bikes feel about the same in parking lot rides, but I don't think I'm going to get to ride a Niner RIP9 anytime soon. My LBS is offering me 10% off and no sales tax on any Giant I choose, so that definitely sweetens the pot. I called the other shop and they can't budge on the "custom build" Niner. They have room to move on production bikes, but not the custom.

I could get the top of the line TranceX out the door for less than the Niner but minus a Talas fork (I don't think I need that), carbon post and bars. I hate decisions like this.
    You are about to drop 4K on a bike, the bike shop needs to let you take it out for a real demo ride. Even if you have to pay them $50 to do it. If they love the bike, one of their shop techs must own one or they must know someone who would be willing to let you try it out.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    How is Giant cheaper? He is comparing a full XT build to an X9/7 mix. Now make that Trance the full XT build and it's $4200 and it still comes with a bunch of Giant parts including the wheels, so its not cheaper. Apples to apples.
    I often make the same mistake, because often when people I talk into the giant are talking about the cheapest Trance/Anthem & often other brands can't match them.

But as you go up in spec the Giant looses a lot of its cost advantage over other brands.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Woah Woah...Sorry...Should have rephrased it a little better. First, the OP said the tranceX he was looking at was $3k and the RIP9 was $4k. Id say thats a significant savings without much sacrifice in performance. When comparing 2 similar priced bikes...TranceX1 and Rip9 1-star package...the TranceX has a better component group, and still a couple hundred less. Nicer suspension, dropper post, and x9/x7 group..instead of x5/x7. I like the wheelset on the RIP9 better...but still feel like the giant is a better value when comparing bikes in the same price range. Im not trying to say one is better then the other...I ride both brands and even recommended the RIP9 if he didnt mind the extra cash. I would be stoked to see the OP own either bike.

Second, I was more or less referring to the less expensive models giant offers. When Ive bought all my giants..I opt for the X3, X4, 2, etc....same frame, slightly lower component package. Gives you the opportunity to have a solid bike from the get go, and upgrade components when the addiction sets in. Of course, when you start comparing the top shelf builds...your gonna have similar pricing across the board...but the OP wasnt talking about buying a full XX1, XX, X0, XTR spec'ed bike.

mtbr member

The Trance 29'er frame is lighter 5.89 pounds vs 7 pounds for the 2013 Niner RIP and 7.5 for the older RIP Model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for all the help guys. I've been reading / watching reviews for weeks now and only posted here after I narrowed down my search. I parking lot rode the RIP9 (I know it's not a true feeling for the bike) and I demo'ed the TranceX1.

The RIP9 custom build was at Jenson and in the showroom at the Corona store. They were able to cut deals on most bikes but they were hard on their price at $3950. Plus tax would have put me at about 4200 out the door. I reminded them that it was a 2012 and was made obsolete by the 2013 but they said, "we've already reduced it enough". The bike has been there for at least two weeks while I was looking at it and it was still there yesterday. I'm wondering if Niner buyers are skipping it for the 2013.

Anyway, I went to my LBS that sells the Giant and had a great conversation with the managing partner and some of the staff. I decided to demo the Trance x1 w/ SRAM group. I took it to one of my standard loops and absolutely loved it! Put it through the paces both climbing and descending. According to my timing, I was only a couple of minutes slower on the biggest climb and was several minutes faster on the downhill (compared to my HT). The biggest difference was how easy it was to go fast. I was grinning from ear to ear.

After my ride I called Jenson again and confirmed that they were firm on their price, and they were. I returned to the bike shop and started talking with the manager about buying the X1 and upgrading the brakes from Elixir 3 to XT and then maybe some wheels as well. Finally I just ask for the lowest possible OTD price on the X0. After some math, the OTD price on the full XT build w/ better wheels/hubs, fork, seat and other bits came to $3600. I decided to support the local bike shop and their great service and bought the bike.

I'll agree that the color scheme may not be the best, but I've never been one to let the color of something sway me unless it was my pants. I got the bike set up for me and took it out today. The difference between the X1 and X0 was quite noticeable. I was even faster than on the X1! Stiffer / lighter wheels and slightly better fork may be responsible for that, or I was just jazzed to have a new bike!

After the ride I was grinning from ear to ear. I told my riding buddy that it was great to feel good after a first ride instead of disappointed and searching for solutions like I was the first time I rode my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR so many years ago.

I'm sure I would have been happy with the Niner as well. The money worked out to be cheaper with a mostly comparable build. I appreciate all the input offered here. I love reading all the opinions!
    Thanks Again!

Money in pocket.... Niner Rip9 or Giant Trance X?!?!?!-trance2_zpsf8db2dae.jpg

mtbr member
    Congrats. I"ve never owned a Giant, but always thought they made good bikes. Nice choice

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sweet bike good luck and enjoy! Everytime I see a X0 and all the XT parts carbon wheels I get a little jelous. I had a hard time pulling the trigger on the X1 but love the bike and prefer the X1 or X2 color. Not that that would stop me....maybe next year!

two wheel whore
    Congrats, and sounds like you did some great shopping. Ride safe!

Trail Ninja
    Nice. I haven't dropped into a shop with Giant bikes for a couple months now. Dropper post and clutch RD as standard? I like.

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Good process you went through.
    Congratulations on the new ride.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Glade you are happy with your bike.

One of my friends has just sold his Trance x1 & built up a Rip9 Alloy & is very happy with his new bike.

It is a shame you never got a better ride on the Rip9, But then if the money was not right then it wasn't right.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been reading / watching reviews for weeks now and only posted here after I narrowed down my search. I parking lot rode the RIP9 (I know it's not a true feeling for the bike) and I demo'ed the TranceX1.

The RIP9 custom build was at Jenson and in the showroom at the Corona store. They were able to cut deals on most bikes but they were hard on their price at $3950. Plus tax would have put me at about 4200 out the door. I reminded them that it was a 2012 and was made obsolete by the 2013 but they said, "we've already reduced it enough". The bike has been there for at least two weeks while I was looking at it and it was still there yesterday. I'm wondering if Niner buyers are skipping it for the 2013.

Anyway, I went to my LBS that sells the Giant and had a great conversation with the managing partner and some of the staff. I decided to demo the Trance x1 w/ SRAM group. I took it to one of my standard loops and absolutely loved it! Put it through the paces both climbing and descending. According to my timing, I was only a couple of minutes slower on the biggest climb and was several minutes faster on the downhill (compared to my HT). The biggest difference was how easy it was to go fast. I was grinning from ear to ear.

After my ride I called Jenson again and confirmed that they were firm on their price, and they were. I returned to the bike shop and started talking with the manager about buying the X1 and upgrading the brakes from Elixir 3 to XT and then maybe some wheels as well. Finally I just ask for the lowest possible OTD price on the X0. After some math, the OTD price on the full XT build w/ better wheels/hubs, fork, seat and other bits came to $3600. I decided to support the local bike shop and their great service and bought the bike.

I'll agree that the color scheme may not be the best, but I've never been one to let the color of something sway me unless it was my pants. I got the bike set up for me and took it out today. The difference between the X1 and X0 was quite noticeable. I was even faster than on the X1! Stiffer / lighter wheels and slightly better fork may be responsible for that, or I was just jazzed to have a new bike!

After the ride I was grinning from ear to ear. I told my riding buddy that it was great to feel good after a first ride instead of disappointed and searching for solutions like I was the first time I rode my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR so many years ago.

I'm sure I would have been happy with the Niner as well. The money worked out to be cheaper with a mostly comparable build. I appreciate all the input offered here. I love reading all the opinions!
    Thanks Again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trance2_zpsf8db2dae.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	798018