Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ~~~

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts

I've been waiting a long time to start this new bike build thread! The planets had aligned, and I was finally able to order that custom dream bike I've been waiting for all my life. Being a NorCal native, and resident still, I quickly narrowed down my list of potential builders. It really became a no-brainer, when all I had to do was drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, and in a short time, be sitting down in the shop of the legendary Steve Potts. I had an awesome visit with Steve back in July, and we chatted about bikes and everything else for about 2 hours. I even played doggie soccer with Cowboy, his Jack Russel, in the shop. Just the visit itself was priceless. But more than that, I just agreed with his philosophy of bike building. Pure and simple. I appreciate and enjoy all of the improvements in cycling with modern technologies, but I'm also a bit of a retrogrouch at times. For example, the Santa Cruz Highball was actually high on my list, but carbon fiber just doesn't move my soul like a custom ti frame. This is going to be one to take to the grave. I have already told my wife to bury me with my Potts.

Okay, so fast foward 5 months, and now my bike build is in the works. During the last 5 months, I found that there is really not that much information (bike p0rn) out there with Steve's more recent creations. A few pictures here and there when the bike is new, but it seems the typical Potts customer is not one to spend much time on the interwebs posting pictures of their pride and joy. Well, I hope to change that with this thread. Rather than posting my build spec and pics of the final product, I thought I'd share my build process with you as I get parts together, and as the frame gets built.

I'm 5'6" with a 29.25" inseam. I don't race, and I have a Nomad for bigger hit stuff, so I wanted this bike for all around XC trail riding with intermediate gnar thrown in. I definitely wanted a Type II fork. I knew I would kick myself later if I didn't get this bike with the Type II. I also definitely want a 2x10 geared bike, so no sliding drop-outs, and it needed space to accomodate a front derailleur. I described my riding style to him, and deferred the number crunching and geometry design to him. Here is the preliminary drawing that he came up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0242.jpg  

~~~
    I debated for a bit whether to have the bike built for me, or do the build myself. Steve works with Mike at Black Mountain Cycles, and I would not hesitate turning the frame over to Mike for a truly professional build. But during the wait, I did a lot of on-line shopping, and I ended up buying pretty much everything I needed. So the motivation hit me full on, and I will be assembling everything myself. Parts have been trickling in from Brown Santa.

Here are the Shimano Deore XT M785 brakes. I chose the 29er compatible silver color.

Everything pictured here weighs in at about 655 grams. That's before the hose gets cut down to size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0125.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0128.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0122.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0130.jpg  

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    29ers are a fad.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Looks awesome tburg. Looking forward to seeing this thing come together. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know Steve Potts was still actively building custom bikes. Ti too? How many organs did you have to part with for this bike?

Snowjnky McDreamy
    subscribe
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    probably got a discount since he only sacrificed an arm

its gonna be awesome

rho
    Life is strange
    This is gonna start making me want a 29'er again...

mtbr member
    What's a 29er?
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    what's a 29er?
    A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-29er.jpg
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

NedwannaB

Less then 655 grams?

Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Here are the Shimano Deore XT M785 brakes. I chose the 29er compatible silver color.

Everything pictured here weighs in at about 655 grams. That's before the hose gets cut down to size.
    Dang that shortening should drop it down by what, 2 or 3 Alpineberries?

All seriousness aside, that build you got planned should turn into an awesome bike. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    What's a 29er?
    Don't worry about it. It's not small enough for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You must have ordered about the time I got mine. You are not going to be sorry, it really is the nicest bike I have ever been on. The first time I got on the bike my legs didn't just burn but my face did also due to all the smiling. I road it with the type II for about three months and then tried a Reba on it, while still a nice riding bike it lost some of its magic. Reba came off an will never go back on. You really would have kicked yoursel if you didn't get one. Have fun with the build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1324352589.277949.jpg  

Mtn Biker Machinist

Subscribed

Steve is #1 on my dream builder list. I will have to wait a long time to own a bike of his, but someday I will.

Looking forward to the build. Thanks for letting us all experience this vicariously through you!

frog

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim View Post
    29ers are a fad.
    Stay tuned. There will be a special surprise for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    How many organs did you have to part with for this bike?
    Joke's on him. I traded my liver.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Dang that shortening should drop it down by what, 2 or 3 Alpineberries?
    LOL. This is not gonna be a weight weenie build, but I play one on TV sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    You must have ordered about the time I got mine. You are not going to be sorry, it really is the nicest bike I have ever been on. The first time I got on the bike my legs didn't just burn but my face did also due to all the smiling. I road it with the type II for about three months and then tried a Reba on it, while still a nice riding bike it lost some of its magic. Reba came off an will never go back on. You really would have kicked yoursel if you didn't get one. Have fun with the build
    Yes! I remember seeing your frame on Steve's blog. It was very cool to see it show up on the forums here.

mtbr member
    Stay tuned. There will be a special surprise for you!
    650b?
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

aka baycat
    I would prefer you getting a medium sized bike so I can objectively test ride it.

Natural body armor
    I'd recommend a basket for carrying the goodies on the trail
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

mtbr member
    Potts makes amazing bikes- I think one of his kids rides a 29er in and around the headlands...either that or there is a teenager with a totally *****ing ti Potts worth close to 10k ripping it up.

Good luck with the build- If I was still close to Black Mountain Cycles I would get my bike built there: so much history in that shop.

~~~
    A few odds and ends for happy wrists and a happy butt. And possible inspiration for the color scheme on the fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0109.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0135.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0137.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Best saddle ever

Trail Ninja
    Some fancy packaging there for those parts.

What's his wait list like? I recommended him to someone else not too long ago and was just curious.

JB
    Steve who?

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Some fancy packaging there for those parts.

What's his wait list like? I recommended him to someone else not too long ago and was just curious.
    Geez. No kidding. I paid a premium for that plastic packaging! Flite saddle in brown had to be a stupid anniversary edition. That logo should wear off with a few good rides.

Back in July, Steve quoted me 4-5 months. I assumed 6-7 months was more likely the case. He just contacted me last week to say my bike is in the works. I think the few people ahead of me in the queue had wait times anywhere from 6-9 months. But during that entire time, he always replied to my emails very promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Steve who?
    Pots. He makes custom non-stick cookware. Amazing stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was quoted 4-5 months and had it in my hands in 7 which was faster than I expected. Although his estimate was off I wouldn't hesitate to wait it again, Steve also responded quickly to any questions and kept me updated throughout the wait.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Looks shiny!

Those brakes look nice. Good choice.

Did you get the rest of the drivetrain yet?

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com View Post
    Those brakes look nice. Good choice.

Did you get the rest of the drivetrain yet?
    Thanks! I should be getting a big box delivered tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Looks exciting!

~~~
    Big box received right in time for Festivus!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0300.jpg  

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

you just need.....

....a bigger tree.

And a frame to hold all those parts together.

JB
    Thats a serious looking bachelor pad!

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29er.jpg 
Views:	4518 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	660753

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Thats a serious looking bachelor pad!
    His wife is the best baker ever

mtbr member
    tburger, best Christmas, ever.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

~~~
    I got my big box of parts from Bikerbob yesterday. Spent some time last night checking everything out, and then I geeked out and had some weight weenie fun putting everything on the kitchen scale. I can post actual weights if anyone is interested. Took some photos today to share with you all.

More silver bits in the mix. Not much to say about the Cane Creek 110 headset. The interlocking alloy spacers they come with are kinda neat. I chose the White Industries MI6 hubs because they were a good compromise between cost, quality, weight, and performance. Plus, they're another good local company. These are going to be built into a nice reliable wheelset with stainless steel spokes.

The Shimano drivetrain looks pretty slick. I went with the slightly more expensive shifters with the integrated mounts. It should make for a nice clean look while still providing lots of adjustability. The weight of all the Shimano stuff is pretty close to what's advertised, except for the cassette. This 11-36 cassette weighs in at a portly 345g.

I'm off work next week, and it looks like I may be able to squeeze in a visit to the shop while Steve does some work. It would be awesome if I could actually see some work on tubing that will eventually become my bike. I'll try to take pics if this pans out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9220.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9221.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0321.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9222.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0336.jpg  

~~~
    Major progress update! The frame has already been built. I was also able to work out some time to visit Steve for a couple of hours while he worked on welding the rear brake mount and stay bridges. He showed me a ton of stuff, and it's amazing the amount of thought and work that goes into everything he makes. He showed off his steady hands and attention to detail while I hovered over his shoulder. The remaining welding and cable guides were attached after I left, and the fork should be built over the weekend. Once I get the color scheme for the fork sent to him, off it goes to the painter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9224.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9225.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9226.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9227.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9243.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9256.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9259.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9262.jpg  

~~~
    Few more shots of the weld detail at the major tube junctions. I also received the Jones Ti Loop Bar on Friday. And the final shot is the color scheme for the fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9273.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9276.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9279.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9284.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9285.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-typeii_peter.jpg  

~~~
    And one final treat for you all...

<object width="600" height="450"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34400390&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autop lay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=34400390&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autop lay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="450"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Very nice. Did you swing through Black Mountain while out in Point Reyes? I stopped by to say hi to Mike yesterday and per the usual he had one Potts in the stand and a couple others waiting in the wings.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    What a treat to see this. Very cool. I

Looks like it could be unhealthy for an old guy though. Your take?

mtbr member
    Wow...very cool!...I have Tig welded my whole life and never would have thought of that to get into the tight spaces....Steve is an artist for sure!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    cool to see that even Steve Potts uses foil
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Very nice. Did you swing through Black Mountain while out in Point Reyes? I stopped by to say hi to Mike yesterday and per the usual he had one Potts in the stand and a couple others waiting in the wings.
    Unfortunately I didn't have time. I've only exchanged emails with Mike, but I need to meet him in person. That guy is a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com View Post
    What a treat to see this. Very cool. I

Looks like it could be unhealthy for an old guy though. Your take?
    Not sure what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    cool to see that even Steve Potts uses foil
    I seriously considered Vertigo, too! I love your frame designs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Unfortunately I didn't have time. I've only exchanged emails with Mike, but I need to meet him in person. That guy is a class act.
    You really should stop in his shop if only for the bike history lesson. He always has a couple Cunninghams, Potts, WTBs etc hanging around.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I seriously considered Vertigo, too! I love your frame designs.
    I appreciate that. Steve is a jewel of this industry and is on my own short list of builders. I had #11 of one of the first batch of ti frames (if not THE first batch) he built at WTB in the mid'90's and I still kick myself for selling it. One of these days I'll take him up on his offer and I'll head down for a visit.

Plan #123-D
    This thread is seriously like porn to me. Unreal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    those are some clean welds!

mtbr member
    what does the foil do?

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    what does the foil do?
    It acts as a heat sink, I'm guessing.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It traps the inert gas flowing out of the welder to keep the weld zone more saturated in whatever welding gas you are using.

It also transmits secret messages to aliens and/or the CIA.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Mostly. Usually it's to keep the backside or sides of a weld area bathed in argon. When you have argon blowing past an edge, or are welding small diameter tubing like on a stay bridge, it helps to have some kind of backer to keep oxygen out of the weld. Sometimes they're passive like the foil, sometimes they're purged.

I'd love to see more shop photos if you have them. This is VERY interesting.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Isn't that what I said???

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    It traps the inert gas flowing out of the welder to keep the weld zone more saturated in whatever welding gas you are using.

This. I used to work with Steve and this is what he said.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post

I thought it blocked transmissions to aliens and/or the CIA. Or is that only when molded onto a colander and worn on one's head?

Mostly. Usually it's to keep the backside or sides of a weld area bathed in argon. When you have argon blowing past an edge, or are welding small diameter tubing like on a stay bridge, it helps to have some kind of backer to keep oxygen out of the weld. Sometimes they're passive like the foil, sometimes they're purged.

Most of my photos were taken during this welding session, so it's pretty much the same stuff seen above. He also showed me some of the tools he uses to make the bends in the tubes, and some of the tools he made to measure and align the pieces for the Type II forks, but I didn't take pictures of those.

You can see a lot of the fork building process on his blog here:

stevepottsbicycles: May 2010

stevepottsbicycles: June 2010

~~~

I went thru my pics again to try to find a few more worth posting. I know it's pretty much more of the same, but these additional pics may have a few more things of interest.

The big metal cylinders on the workbench were a place for him to rest his hands and stabilize his posture. For those who don't know how these torches work, what you can't see is that he's also operating the torch with a foot pedal.

Another shot of the brake mount. I brought him some home baked goodies from my wife, and he liked it so much, he had to write down her blogspot site.

There were various vintage bikes hanging from the rafters that I didn't really have time to ogle. There were also some ti rear triangles hanging around. Not sure what they were for. Could be for some of Castellano's bikes. Notice the shop is filled with natural light. We're on a hillside facing North with a really nice view of Tamales Bay.

And finally, here's a pic of Cowboy, Steve's Jack Russel. He dragged his bed over to join us at the table when we were talking. And he kept tapping me on the foot for more play time. But he pretty much just chilled whenever Steve was working.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9230.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9241.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9245.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9252.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9254.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9269.jpg  

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Thanks!

Most of us make a lot of our own tools and they're typically born in a vacuum without much discussion with other builders. It's always great to see another builders tools (especially someone like Steve) because by looking at the design of the tool, you can infer a method of thinking which helps make the mental toolbox bigger.

Tube bending methods should be of particular importance to anyone who bends their own tubes and it's something that's always on my mind. I know Steve uses a micrometer during the bend process and I've always been curious how exactly it works for him as I have my own methods of making symmetrical bends. I see he has an Anvil bender mounted to his mill table and the sideways mounting of the main tube mitering fixture is interesting as well.

Thanks for the pix.

~~~
    In my never ending quest to find more Potts bike p0rn (during my free time), I stumbled across the Singletrackworld forums where a recent UK customer just received his frame a couple months ago and started a thread over there. Unfortunately, the pics were either removed or aren't shared properly, so there's not much to see. There are, however, some very entertaining comments that I had to pass along!

"errr. Am I missing something, I dont get the excitement.
    It's a basic hardtail with disc mounts."

"It does look nice.
    Not sure it's 'that much money' nice, but if you can afford it, then hey, why not!!??
    The only thing I don't like is the name on the down tube. Most people are just going to think you are called Steve Potts."

"Beautiful frame, but I can't help thinking the guy should have called the company something different. If your name is Enzo Ferrari by all means go ahead, but Steve Potts? LMAO."

"If you had any idea what you were talking about, you'd buy a Steve Potts frame over a Ferrari!"

"very very nice indeed.
    a lot of the oicks on here nowadays will not know who steve potts is............ "

"I laughed at the clueless twunks who wonder why it's got some blokes name on it and not some trademarked, made up brand name!
    Anyway, fair play to the OP for knowing his onions getting something of this quality."

~~~

Time to Lace 'em Up

This was a great weekend for Niners football, beer drinking, and wheel building. My frame and fork should be ready very soon, so this weekend I dug out the wheel building tools, refreshed my memory by re-reading the literature, and went at it.

The build consists of:
    DT Revolution Spokes
    Alloy nipples
    Stans Crest Rims
    Stans rim tape and valves with removable cores

Front wheel weighs in at 770g, rear wheel is 885g.
    Front tire weighs 830g, and rear tire weighs 795g.

Tires are Ardent 2.4 and 2.25, and they both aired up with a floor pump. I haven't added sealant yet, and the front is actually holding air. I'll hold off on sealant for the rear until I get the frame, just in case I have clearance issues with this tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0391.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0393.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0397.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0399.jpg  

mtbr member
    It's beyond me why there aren't more Potts out on the trail. They are all kinds of awesome.

Did anyone notice the five WTB URT rear triangles hanging on the wall? What were those abominations called again? I want to say "Trailmaster" but I'm not sure....
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    guess they could have been destined for bon tempes or castelano (sp?) frames?

as for the potts...agree, beautiful stuff!

mtbr member
    In my never ending quest to find more Potts bike p0rn (during my free time), I stumbled across the Singletrackworld forums where a recent UK customer just received his frame a couple months ago and started a thread over there. Unfortunately, the pics were either removed or aren't shared properly, so there's not much to see. There are, however, some very entertaining comments that I had to pass along!
    [snip]....

Singletrackworld forum can be pretty 'robust' unless you fit into the full suspension mould (did anyone mention England's mountains ), 29ers, singlespeed etc. is greeeted with a little sceptism!

Enjoying the progress! Looks a nice bike
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Ah yeah, Bon Tempe, that was it.

I'm admittedly one of the strange dudes that actually enjoyed URTs when I had them.

mtbr member
    So much anticipation!! That's going to be one sweet ride!!

Enjoy the wait and the build!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    You need to write me an article about this whole process and love affair. You have a ton of content and photos already.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine View Post
    It's beyond me why there aren't more Potts out on the trail. They are all kinds of awesome.

Did anyone notice the five WTB URT rear triangles hanging on the wall? What were those abominations called again? I want to say "Trailmaster" but I'm not sure....
    The Trailmaster was a model he was building for Koski around a year after WTB started offering ti bikes in the mid 90's.

mtbr member
    Shoulda got DT Supercomps... The 1.8 nips are stronger...

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    if the spokes are long enough, it's a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Actually, no, it can matter. The, thinner the spoke, the thicker the nipple. That's ok you build frames, not wheels.

mtbr member
    Oh wait, you do build wheels. Well, no my wheels at least.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    Sure, I thought about that. I was originally going to use DT Comps, but after doing more reading, I was willing to "risk" trying the Revs for myself. Keep in mind, I'm a lightweight at 140 lbs., and I've never broken anything (without crashing ).

if the spokes are long enough, it's a non-issue.
    Yep, spokes extend thru the threaded part of the nipples. Tensioned up pretty nicely!

Rotors and cassette installed today. One thing is for sure. The Shimano cassette is not nearly as pretty as the Sram cassettes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0416.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0417.jpg  

Last edited by tburger; 01-16-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    sheesh. tburger, I can't wait to see your complete bike. It'll be a stunner.

mtbr member
    Looks sharp. Excited to see the end result.

The Swiss Guy
    Hi tburger. As a Swiss Potts 29er owner I'd like to congratulate you for this awesome thread. I especially like the video and the pics about the welding process! The silver / titanium approach seems very promising and I am looking forward to the final product. This reminds me that it is time to order a nice titanium frame for my wife. Keep going with your build...

For those who understand some german or for just some pics see my Potts - Ti29-40 posts on my blog.
    see more at my blog ...

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissSpoony View Post
    Hi tburger. As a Swiss Potts 29er owner I'd like to congratulate you for this awesome thread. I especially like the video and the pics about the welding process! The silver / titanium approach seems very promising and I am looking forward to the final product. This reminds me that it is time to order a nice titanium frame for my wife. Keep going with your build...

For those who understand some german or for just some pics see my Potts - Ti29-40 posts on my blog.
    Thanks Spoony! Potts frames are showing up all over the world. Slowly, but surely.

mtbr member

A 29er frame

designed and by a legendary builder?. It just does not get better than that imho. Nothing against the many newer builders, but when you combine mastery of ones craft with decades of experience perfecting every minute detail you get something that I don't think can be duplicated by someone who hasn't done the same. This is explained beautifully in the book by Malcolm Gladwell called "The Outliers". Hard to dispute his argument, but I am sure some knucklehead on this forum probably will.
    I think that precious few builders meet up to the standard outlined in the book. Steve Potts obviously mets the standard . I am subscribed .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    this is serious porn.
    VERY tidy welding! so clean!
    Bike will be EPIC.

Hurry up

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow, I've been lurking in the 29er forum for a few weeks now but this thread has motivated me to register.

That is one really nice looking frame and the bits to hang off aren't too shabby either. Nice to see a master at work.

I've been thinking about building my own 29er and this has got me salivating.

Looking forward to seeing this built and some trail shot...

mtbr member
    Wow- I can't believe I've looked past this. Great write up so far and I look forward to following your progress. I really dig the photos and video- thanks for sharing! I've never met anyone nicer than Steve so it's great to see so much recognition and appreciation for his work.

Here are some photos of mine:
    Socket Set Cycles: 2008 Potts

Thanks again for the thread!!

mtbr member
    This will be the bike of all bikes. you can sell all the rest. :-) When I get my new one you will have to come ride the forbidden forest with me.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by stan lee View Post
    Wow- I can't believe I've looked past this. Great write up so far and I look forward to following your progress. I really dig the photos and video- thanks for sharing! I've never met anyone nicer than Steve so it's great to see so much recognition and appreciation for his work.

rim brakes!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Ride and Smile suckas
    This thread should be titled... YOU'VE GOT TO SEE THIS
    Can't wait till your frame arrives.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

mine is on order

I ordered one a while ago after my Mariachi was stolen

Hopefully, it will be ready in mid-Summer. My build idea was similar to yours!

I am very excited. Steve's brother was my middle school teacher, and I met him a few times while in high school, riding by the garage in which he was welding on my way up Mt. Tam.

Have fun!

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by stan lee View Post

HOLY Smokes! That's quite a collection of vintage bikes you've got there!

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    rim brakes!
    Yeah, he seems to do lot of rim brake bikes, still. A lot of fans of the roller cams and Cunningham's linkage brakes. As we said in the 90's, they're "Trick"!

Quote Originally Posted by deardorff8x10 View Post
    I ordered one a while ago after my Mariachi was stolen

Hopefully, it will be ready in mid-Summer. My build idea was similar to yours!

I am very excited. Steve's brother was my middle school teacher, and I met him a few times while in high school, riding by the garage in which he was welding on my way up Mt. Tam.

Have fun!
    Very cool! It will be fun to meet up and ride if you're still in the Bay Area!

~~~

BIG Update!

It's been a while since I've had any updates to share. After my visit with him in December, he still had to add all the finishing touches to the frame, and he also had to build the fork. I knew he was busy working on many projects. So I waited. It turned out he had several forks to make, so he saved set-up time by making several at once. The fork is with the painter this week, so it should be done very soon.

If you've been following Steve's blog, you know he's been cranking out a bunch of new stems. A few weeks ago, he emailed me to see if I had ordered a stem. (He was about to head into the shop to do some mitering, and he wanted to make sure he didn't forget anyone. I had not ordered a stem.) After a couple more email exchanges with him... attached below is a picture of my new stem.

I knew Steve was going to get really busy around this time of year as he prepares for the NAHBS in March. I was just hoping to get my bike before the show. He sent me the pic of the stems last night with a note saying the fork is being painted this week. So I went to bed very happy, knowing that I'll be getting my bike any day now. This morning, I get another email from Steve:

"I have an opportunity to show your bike at the NAHBS. I have been asked to enter a 29er for best titanium and best tig welded bike. It can be shown as a frame or complete bike. The show is March 2,3 and 4th. Let me know if this is something you would like to do."

Looks like I'll be going to Sacramento for the handmade bike show this year!

Edit: Photo credit goes to Steve. Check out his blog here: stevepottsbicycles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-dsc04135-1-.jpg  

Last edited by tburger; 02-08-2012 at 12:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just sent off an email for a stem for mine. If yours fits as well as mine does you will be a very happy man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Subscribed. Can't wait to see the story unfold.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Awesome thread! I've been very pleased with my Silk Ti 29er and have been considering adding a rigid at some point. And now the stems (drool!)

mtbr member
    [I]"I have an opportunity to show your bike at the NAHBS.]
    Great news for you (and Steve)- Congrats! I can see why he choose your bike to display since it will have the frame, fork and stem. I'm sure you already mentioned this earlier in the post but will you run his bars as well?

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    rim brakes!
    - a blast from the past!
    Last edited by stan lee; 02-08-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Crazed Country Rebel
    it's been a while since i've had any updates to share. After my visit with him in december, he still had to add all the finishing touches to the frame, and he also had to build the fork. I knew he was busy working on many projects. So i waited. It turned out he had several forks to make, so he saved set-up time by making several at once. The fork is with the painter this week, so it should be done very soon.

if you've been following steve's blog, you know he's been cranking out a bunch of new stems. A few weeks ago, he emailed me to see if i had ordered a stem. (he was about to head into the shop to do some mitering, and he wanted to make sure he didn't forget anyone. I had not ordered a stem.) after a couple more email exchanges with him... Attached below is a picture of my new stem.

I knew steve was going to get really busy around this time of year as he prepares for the nahbs in march. I was just hoping to get my bike before the show. He sent me the pic of the stems last night with a note saying the fork is being painted this week. So i went to bed very happy, knowing that i'll be getting my bike any day now. This morning, i get another email from steve:

"i have an opportunity to show your bike at the nahbs. I have been asked to enter a 29er for best titanium and best tig welded bike. It can be shown as a frame or complete bike. The show is march 2,3 and 4th. Let me know if this is something you would like to do."

looks like i'll be going to sacramento for the handmade bike show this year! :d :d :d

edit: Photo credit goes to steve. Check out his blog here: stevepottsbicycles
    do want!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

~~~

Almost there!

First of all, sorry, I don't have more interesting pics to share yet. As you can imagine, the painter has been slammed with work as the handmade bike show draws near. But the fork is painted and back in Steve's hands as of today, and I can go pick everything up tomorrow! I'll just have a few days to enjoy it in my hands, though. I'll be building it up over the next few days, then it will go back to Steve for the trip to Sacramento for the bike show. While waiting for everything to get done, I've just been thinking about the build, and making sure I have all the tools and parts I need to do a proper build. I won't have much time to make those frantic last minute trips to various bike shops looking for stuff like inserts and olives for Shimano brake hoses. I believe I have all my ducks in a row and I'm really rearing to go!

So get ready folks! I may not have much time to put together coherent posts, but I will be updating the thread with lots of pics over the next few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_9298.jpg  

mtbr member
    As long as you post pictures your lack of coherency will be overlooked.

mtbr member
    The fact that Potts pulled a bike out of the regular queue for NAHBS just elevated him, in my mind, to the top of an already distinguished field
    Looking forward to the rest.
    Cheers,
    M

~~~
    Got the frame, fork, and stem today. The frame is a beauty, and I'm so happy with how the fork turned out. The color is great. Looks a bit reddish in the photo, but it's a really nice classic orange and cream. Rick at D&D really nailed it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330216868.706292.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330216898.336954.jpg  

nothing to see here
    Why is the brake hose guide on the front of the fork?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Why is the brake hose guide on the front of the fork?
    Where else would it be? That's where I had mine on my Type II. The cable came down to the guide and wrapped inside the fork perfectly. Never budged and was tucked out of the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Those are the photos you had time to snap and upload WTF. More!!!
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Cool, D&D are still around?? I had a Sycip done by them 'back in the day', really nice paint.

Orange and cream was a classy choice.

mtbr member
    Will you run his bars as well? That would be a nice touch on one of his show bikes! Did Rick run the crown paint onto the legs or is that just the picture?

mtbr member
    whooa really really classy !

Mister Potts is a master

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krinkncrank View Post
    Awesome thread! I've been very pleased with my Silk Ti 29er and have been considering adding a rigid at some point. And now the stems (drool!)
    So how do you like your silk ti. What are you running in the front? I have been thinking a silk ti ss would be a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    So how do you like your silk ti. What are you running in the front? I have been thinking a silk ti ss would be a sweet ride.
    It IS a sweet ride. I have been running the same Maverick SC32 fork on the front that I first installed. No complaints, except that if I change out the fork at some point, I'll have to change out the King hub axle too as the Maverick runs a 24mm axle.

I'm also keeping an eye on the forks out there and wondering if the new over-sized 1.5" lower headset size will become more standard. Steve said if I wanted to he could replace the steerer tube and swap in the 1.5x1.125 size. I'm still waiting and seeing.

I had juicy sever brakes originally, which sucked. I've moved up to Saint calipers and levers, with 203mm front, 180mm rear rotors. Brakes are now awesome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast