Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ~~~

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts

I've been waiting a long time to start this new bike build thread! The planets had aligned, and I was finally able to order that custom dream bike I've been waiting for all my life. Being a NorCal native, and resident still, I quickly narrowed down my list of potential builders. It really became a no-brainer, when all I had to do was drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, and in a short time, be sitting down in the shop of the legendary Steve Potts. I had an awesome visit with Steve back in July, and we chatted about bikes and everything else for about 2 hours. I even played doggie soccer with Cowboy, his Jack Russel, in the shop. Just the visit itself was priceless. But more than that, I just agreed with his philosophy of bike building. Pure and simple. I appreciate and enjoy all of the improvements in cycling with modern technologies, but I'm also a bit of a retrogrouch at times. For example, the Santa Cruz Highball was actually high on my list, but carbon fiber just doesn't move my soul like a custom ti frame. This is going to be one to take to the grave. I have already told my wife to bury me with my Potts.

Okay, so fast foward 5 months, and now my bike build is in the works. During the last 5 months, I found that there is really not that much information (bike p0rn) out there with Steve's more recent creations. A few pictures here and there when the bike is new, but it seems the typical Potts customer is not one to spend much time on the interwebs posting pictures of their pride and joy. Well, I hope to change that with this thread. Rather than posting my build spec and pics of the final product, I thought I'd share my build process with you as I get parts together, and as the frame gets built.

I'm 5'6" with a 29.25" inseam. I don't race, and I have a Nomad for bigger hit stuff, so I wanted this bike for all around XC trail riding with intermediate gnar thrown in. I definitely wanted a Type II fork. I knew I would kick myself later if I didn't get this bike with the Type II. I also definitely want a 2x10 geared bike, so no sliding drop-outs, and it needed space to accomodate a front derailleur. I described my riding style to him, and deferred the number crunching and geometry design to him. Here is the preliminary drawing that he came up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0242.jpg  

~~~
    I debated for a bit whether to have the bike built for me, or do the build myself. Steve works with Mike at Black Mountain Cycles, and I would not hesitate turning the frame over to Mike for a truly professional build. But during the wait, I did a lot of on-line shopping, and I ended up buying pretty much everything I needed. So the motivation hit me full on, and I will be assembling everything myself. Parts have been trickling in from Brown Santa.

Here are the Shimano Deore XT M785 brakes. I chose the 29er compatible silver color.

Everything pictured here weighs in at about 655 grams. That's before the hose gets cut down to size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0125.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0128.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0122.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0130.jpg  

dude with orange car
    29ers are a fad.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Looks awesome tburg. Looking forward to seeing this thing come together. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know Steve Potts was still actively building custom bikes. Ti too? How many organs did you have to part with for this bike?

Snowjnky McDreamy
    subscribe
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    probably got a discount since he only sacrificed an arm

its gonna be awesome

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    This is gonna start making me want a 29'er again...

mtbr member
    What's a 29er?
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    what's a 29er?
    A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-29er.jpg
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

NedwannaB

Less then 655 grams?

Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Here are the Shimano Deore XT M785 brakes. I chose the 29er compatible silver color.

Everything pictured here weighs in at about 655 grams. That's before the hose gets cut down to size.
    Dang that shortening should drop it down by what, 2 or 3 Alpineberries?

All seriousness aside, that build you got planned should turn into an awesome bike. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    What's a 29er?
    Don't worry about it. It's not small enough for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You must have ordered about the time I got mine. You are not going to be sorry, it really is the nicest bike I have ever been on. The first time I got on the bike my legs didn't just burn but my face did also due to all the smiling. I road it with the type II for about three months and then tried a Reba on it, while still a nice riding bike it lost some of its magic. Reba came off an will never go back on. You really would have kicked yoursel if you didn't get one. Have fun with the build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-imageuploadedbytapatalk1324352589.277949.jpg  

Mtn Biker Machinist

Subscribed

Steve is #1 on my dream builder list. I will have to wait a long time to own a bike of his, but someday I will.

Looking forward to the build. Thanks for letting us all experience this vicariously through you!

frog

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim View Post
    29ers are a fad.
    Stay tuned. There will be a special surprise for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    How many organs did you have to part with for this bike?
    Joke's on him. I traded my liver.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Dang that shortening should drop it down by what, 2 or 3 Alpineberries?
    LOL. This is not gonna be a weight weenie build, but I play one on TV sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    You must have ordered about the time I got mine. You are not going to be sorry, it really is the nicest bike I have ever been on. The first time I got on the bike my legs didn't just burn but my face did also due to all the smiling. I road it with the type II for about three months and then tried a Reba on it, while still a nice riding bike it lost some of its magic. Reba came off an will never go back on. You really would have kicked yoursel if you didn't get one. Have fun with the build
    Yes! I remember seeing your frame on Steve's blog. It was very cool to see it show up on the forums here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Stay tuned. There will be a special surprise for you!
    650b?
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

aka baycat
    I would prefer you getting a medium sized bike so I can objectively test ride it.

Natural body armor
    I'd recommend a basket for carrying the goodies on the trail
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Potts makes amazing bikes- I think one of his kids rides a 29er in and around the headlands...either that or there is a teenager with a totally *****ing ti Potts worth close to 10k ripping it up.

Good luck with the build- If I was still close to Black Mountain Cycles I would get my bike built there: so much history in that shop.

~~~
    A few odds and ends for happy wrists and a happy butt. And possible inspiration for the color scheme on the fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0109.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0135.jpg  

A Modern Classic - Steve Potts-img_0137.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Best saddle ever

Trail Ninja
    Some fancy packaging there for those parts.

What's his wait list like? I recommended him to someone else not too long ago and was just curious.

JB
    Steve who?

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Some fancy packaging there for those parts.

What's his wait list like? I recommended him to someone else not too long ago and was just curious.
    Geez. No kidding. I paid a premium for that plastic packaging! Flite saddle in brown had to be a stupid anniversary edition. That logo should wear off with a few good rides.

Back in July, Steve quoted me 4-5 months. I assumed 6-7 months was more likely the case. He just contacted me last week to say my bike is in the works. I think the few people ahead of me in the queue had wait times anywhere from 6-9 months. But during that entire time, he always replied to my emails very promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Steve who?
    Pots. He makes custom non-stick cookware. Amazing stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was quoted 4-5 months and had it in my hands in 7 which was faster than I expected. Although his estimate was off I wouldn't hesitate to wait it again, Steve also responded quickly to any questions and kept me updated throughout the wait.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Looks shiny!

Those brakes look nice. Good choice.

Did you get the rest of the drivetrain yet?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast