willtsmith_nwi

Mixed 29er Omen ... RST forks

I just noticed this on the JensonUSA.com. An RST Suspension fork for 29ers, only $86.75.

It would seem to me that this combined with a cheap aluminum frame could push geared 29ers under $500 and push them into the front line of bicycle sales. Certainly an entry level 29er user would increase the number of 29er tires, rims as well as the general availability of tubes.

However is this also a mixed message. Will 29er general acceptance end the "sterling" status of a 29er which now is considered a "premium" product in the marketplace?

luckiest of the unlucky
    The way I see it, this could be nothing but a good thing. I cannot tell you how many customers I would have put on a 29er had they not been out of their budget by several hundred dollars. An RST fork will finally bring 29ers within reach of anyone who wants one. The more options the better, including cheap. Certainly most of us would not be satisfied with these forks, but many people just getting into mountain biking would.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Jenson site says the fork doesn't come with a steerer tube? I've been riding for a long time, but I need to go back about a decade to get to a place where steerer tubes weren't pressed into the crown. Where does one buy a steerer tube?

luckiest of the unlucky
    Quote Originally Posted by NAHTNOJ
    Where does one buy a steerer tube?
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rer+Tubes.aspx
    So it's actually a $97 fork.

In FTF We Trust
    RST has had that fork available for at least 3-4 years; pretty sure it's been in the Quality catalog. It's more of a "hybrid" fork than a 29er fork.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

go chase the sunset
    There is an RST 29er fork, the Vogue. I've ridden it, it's AWFUL, don't touch with a pole if you've the option.