Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1555
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    457
    i may go ahead and give a carbon fork a try on mine ... about the 'roughest' thing i do on my bikes is some light downhill (on fire roads) so nothing big and no jumps at all ...

    i assume a carbon fork will have a little more give then a CroMo right? ...

    itching to build mine up now .. but gotta order in a few parts and get the wheelset built up first...

  2. #27
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,461
    Abusing mine in Jamacia, it gets a little muddy here:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    119
    The trigger has been pulled and the Frame has been sent. Now, for those of you that are running ENO cranks. What size bottom bracket did you go with. I'm thinking of going with a W.I ti bb.

    I think Peter said a 113 would work. I don't want to bug Peter anymore with stupid questions so I thought I would throw out to you guys.

    Thanks in advance.

  4. #29
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by corner_stuffed
    I think Peter said a 113 would work..
    73X113...you may have to wait for the 73...a few days tops but its not typically stock.
    and why would you doubt Peter?

    aside: if you go WI...proper installation is key.
    I have had enormous success with that bb...BUT...it is VERY easy to crush the daylights out of those bearings during the installation process.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    119

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    73X113...you may have to wait for the 73...a few days tops but its not typically stock.
    and why would you doubt Peter?

    aside: if you go WI...proper installation is key.
    I have had enormous success with that bb...BUT...it is VERY easy to crush the daylights out of those bearings during the installation process.
    I would never doubt Lord Peter, that Cat is the bees knees.

    My computer crashed at home and that is where I left the message on the Bottom Bracket sizeing. I didn't want to call and bother you...er..I mean him with anymore questions. I figured these fine folks on the MTBR board would be able to answer the question.

    And when you say proper installation. I assume you mean, tighten the non drive cup so it's snug then tighten the lock ring? Or is there another method ?

    Thanks Peter........er I mean no gears here dude.

  6. #31
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by corner_stuffed
    And when you say proper installation. I assume you mean, tighten the non drive cup so it's snug then tighten the lock ring? Or is there another method ?
    the directions HERE are good.
    it is possible to snug the non-drive cup nicely...BUT...when you start to snug up the lock-ring IT WILL OVERTIGHTEN THE CUP and cause binding.

    when installing, you should leave the bb tool installed in the cup (once its at the proper depth) and use it as leverage to ensure that tightening the lockring (with the other hand) doesnt move the cup - AT ALL - (remember there is ONLY 1/8 or 1/16th of change from perfect to too tight).
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  7. #32
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,361
    I'll post a review on his site, but the FUBars are my favorite handlebars. Not only are they comfortable and great on climbs, but they look ace too.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattybfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    512

    so damn happy

    Since I got my diSSent in early dec. I have been riding 4-5 times a week all winter long and coudn't be any happier with my descion for my first 29er ss. I was lucky to come across this fourm and find a little mention about Misfit Pscycles and I pulled the triger on one. Peter was the prefect gentleman to answer all my calls. I love the fact that I got the bike with the shizzle and quite possibly the only one in N.J. to own one, that of course is going to change because my riding partner who rides an outcast just may put in an order after spending some trail time on mine.He is just stoked about how the bike just plain excels right from the start, he says "it's just fast!". Oh yeah this was what else he said when I first got the bike you are gonna want to get rid of those bars {FU bars} well today he said" I really like them", funny how things can change. So Peter look out another Jersey order coming your way. By the way where your complete builds everything I got in my nice build is holding up well. If your looking at what to buy in the 29er SS world do yourself a favor look no further Misfit DiSSent RULES!

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat
    Since I got my diSSent in early dec. I have been riding 4-5 times a week all winter long and coudn't be any happier with my descion for my first 29er ss. I was lucky to come across this fourm and find a little mention about Misfit Pscycles and I pulled the triger on one. Peter was the prefect gentleman to answer all my calls. I love the fact that I got the bike with the shizzle and quite possibly the only one in N.J. to own one, that of course is going to change because my riding partner who rides an outcast just may put in an order after spending some trail time on mine.He is just stoked about how the bike just plain excels right from the start, he says "it's just fast!". Oh yeah this was what else he said when I first got the bike you are gonna want to get rid of those bars {FU bars} well today he said" I really like them", funny how things can change. So Peter look out another Jersey order coming your way. By the way where your complete builds everything I got in my nice build is holding up well. If your looking at what to buy in the 29er SS world do yourself a favor look no further Misfit DiSSent RULES!
    It only counts with pictures. Post up!

    Unfortunately after I bought mine three other friends did too after seeing mine so I don't have the only one in town. As more people see it I'm sure there will be more. Peter needs to step it up on the titanium version so I can be the first kid on the block again.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15
    Here is mine. I bought the frame used. I haven't ridden it very much yet because we have 3 feet of snow.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10
    Great pictures.
    I'm on the fence about buying one or a Niner One 9. Any one ride both to compare??
    When you post pictures please note your frame size.
    Thanks!!

    mc

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattybfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    512
    You are gonna get a lot of one sided answers asking in the misfit tread, but I ask you would you like a genric Molson or would you like a fine microbrew like Bohemian Czech Lager? I maybe flamed for my response but didn't care for my test ride on a niner it felt like I was riding to high on top, Misfit is a twentysix feel with a in the bike ride. Just my 2 cents.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11
    I'm using the 113 as well, seems to fit the bill. I'm using the phil wood with my Eno cranks and even though i don't have more than 50 miles on it, it feels great. I actually put 15 miles on it today...hard pack snow. One thing I've noticed with the Eno's cranks is that the crank bolts loosen up fairly easy. I've even used the blue lock tight and it still happens. Any suggestions on keeping those bad boys tight? I read somewhere plumbing tape may help that problem, I certainly thought the lock tight would do the trick. Let me know your thoughts, thanks guys!

    BH

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bluebeat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    254
    I'm seriously considering this bike. I love it's looks and it seems as though no one has a bad thing to say about them. I often hear people talking about how fast and stiff the bike is, which would be good for my tight flowing East Coast trails with steep climbs. I wonder if it's equally at home on technical terrain. My riding style consists of me going up, over, and off of everything I can find on the trail. Does anyone ride their Dissent this way? Comments?

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattybfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    512

    East coast here!

    I ride North Jerseys most techinical trails and ridged with carbon fork and the bike handles spot on. Don't wait another second order up! Represent East Coast!!

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Celt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    129

    chain slap?

    Hey guys,

    Read some mtbr reviews of the dissent and a couple of folks talked about chain slap as a weakness in this design.

    Any idea what that's about, because I'm not sure how this frame chainstays are much different than any other. It was mentioned a couple of times by different owners.

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/m...2_1548crx.aspx
    Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

  17. #42
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt
    Hey guys,

    Read some mtbr reviews of the dissent and a couple of folks talked about chain slap as a weakness in this design.

    Any idea what that's about, because I'm not sure how this frame chainstays are much different than any other. It was mentioned a couple of times by different owners.

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/m...2_1548crx.aspx


    Interesting. I hadn't considered this until I read this post. I see how it could happen. If you run a smaller ring/cog combination and let the chain get slack, but in my example, I would be throwing the chain off before I got chain slap.

    The problem is a product of the "paragon" type sliding drop outs, which place the chain stays higher in relation to the rear axle than on a design with a EBB or track ends.

    I would not think I would ever see this issue as I run bigger rings and cogs than a lot of folks do, but 32 -17 or 32-18 would be pretty susceptable to doing that chain slap thing.

    Of course, you could just keep your chain in adjustment.

    I don't know,maybe that's just a crazy thought.

  18. #43
    Ultraglide In Black
    Reputation: charmicarmicat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    112
    Another carbon, rigid rider here. I tackle anything that's connected to the ground (skinnies, um, no, but that's due to my own freakish fear of wood cut in a ladder-like pattern that hovers above the cold, cold ground). That includes all manner of big rocky, rooty things, and getting my occasional jump on (within reason - not hitting the doubles, you know?).

    I read the chainslap thing too, and yeah, there isn't a ton of clearance there, but as long as your tension is good (mine has not always been), it's a non-issue.

    I have the budget-ish 'Nice' build variety... no bling, just a blue-collar work horse.

    Here's a (non-glamorous) shot between laps at a 12 hour from this past weekend:

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    111

    New Dissent Build

    Just finished slapping it together as a 1x9 since my other bike is set up rigid SS. Not sure I will be able to utilize the 2 smallest cogs due to chainstay interference, but will be happy with a 1x7. I am also going to run a 39t chainring, so that should help out with clearance a bit. I am really digging the way this frame feels (and looks...sexy) rolling around the yard...as if you are sitting in the bike and not on top.

    Thanks to Peter for quickly resolving an ordering snafu and answering my questions as quickly as I could ask them.

    Picture 024.jpg

    Picture 025.jpg

    Picture 026.jpg

    Picture 027.jpg

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    457
    good to see one setup as geared .. had thought about that .. but just using a few cogs instead of a full casset.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    907
    Very nice. I do believe its the first Misfit that I've seen that someone actually put gears on. I bought the derailleur dropout but don't think I'll ever use it.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bobbotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8xscape
    Just finished slapping it together as a 1x9 since my other bike is set up rigid SS. Not sure I will be able to utilize the 2 smallest cogs due to chainstay interference, but will be happy with a 1x7. I am also going to run a 39t chainring, so that should help out with clearance a bit. I am really digging the way this frame feels (and looks...sexy) rolling around the yard...as if you are sitting in the bike and not on top.

    Thanks to Peter for quickly resolving an ordering snafu and answering my questions as quickly as I could ask them.
    Nice! What stem length are you using on it?

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    111
    Stem is 90mm w/ 5 degrees of rise, which is way too short with the Fu-bars. I will be swapping it out for a flat 110 or 120.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bobbotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8xscape
    Stem is 90mm w/ 5 degrees of rise, which is way too short with the Fu-bars. I will be swapping it out for a flat 110 or 120.
    Yeah, I have Fu-bars as well, so I'm curious how other people set them up, and what stem length they use. I would suggest going with a 4 bolt stem. I had mine set up with a 115 mm stem, could use longer.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    111
    Yeah, I think the 110 that I have laying around will be too short, so off to buy a new one. Now I will have 3 Thomson stems to sell, or mabye just an excuse to build a couple more bikes. I like the looks of the Misfit offering, but wish they had a flat version.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •