Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nice marmot.

Misfit Psycles' diSSent 29'er. Thoughts?

Greetings.

So I came across this baby and i'm interested. Any thoughts? Experience? Knowledge?

http://www.psyclestore.com/products/...e.html#reviews
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My friend has one and really likes it. Fun company, easy to work with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have all the parts and just ordered the frame. I'm very excited about this buildup.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Look for the "Misfit Riders Unite" thread, all the information you could ever want.
    I have one and LOVE it. Great bike and a great company, Peter is the man!
    You can't go wrong with the Misfit diSSent frame.
    Enjoy !!

mtbr member
    I have an XL aluminum frame I want to get rid of if interested. Brand new, never built.

nice marmot.
    hey nubster...

would be interested, only, I'm 5'6" on good day.

Dorkimus Prime
    I think Peter does that Epic Breck race.

Just lie in ambush trail side, billyclub him up side of the head as he passes and take his ride. It may take you some time to get used to the large size frame. Better yet, take a 70mm stem with you, use that as a club and swap it out after the mugging is complete.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

I <3 29ers
    Here's a link to the "Misfit riders unite" thread ..... Misfit riders unite!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

nice marmot.
    posted up in the thread. i am VERY excited about this. the ironic thing is... i even have a canadian passport!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtnsinbreck
    hey nubster...

would be interested, only, I'm 5'6" on good day.
    Just get some inserts for your shoes and you'll be good to go

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Just get some inserts for your shoes and you'll be good to go
    on a good day means i remembered to put the inserts into my shoes. i'm always shorter in the summer because my inserts don't work in my flip-flops

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you're really only 5'6" I'd look elsewhere. I have a small dissent frame and fork - I'm 5'8, with size 9/43 shoes. The toe overlap on it is horrendous unless in the last few months they've re-designed the geometry. If you go to a medium frame the front-center measurement begins to look passable - I couldn't get any support from Misfit to do any kind of exchange to a larger frame unfortunately - I got no response from them. It is totally un-useable on singletrack so I ended up building a Dillinger instead. I couldn't sell the dissent so I built it into a drop bar 29 for rails to trails etc and winter road bike.
    Last edited by scot e; 04-26-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Off the back...
    For reference, I am 5'10"ish [5'11" on a good day], short torso, long legs. I'm on a medium diSSent and have no overlap issues whatsoever, even with an Ardent 2.4 up front. I could have gone with a large, but I like smaller frames. The difference between the medium and the small in terms of overlap is a little over an inch, so how one would get overlap trouble is beyond me. Huge feet? Pedalling via the heels?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No, seriously. Clipped in, cleat in about the middle, 170mm cranks, size 43 shimano shoes. Almost a full inch of overlap. My 43 sidis have a shorter toe on them but they still overlap. Just trying to help someone not make the same mistake. I know there are dissent lovers out there and I'm sure a medium or larger is just fine. I love the bike for how I've set it up - but it's more or less a straight line bike.

For the record I've two other 16" 29ers (Kona Kula 2-9 and Soul Dillinger) and I've got tons of room up there, tire doesn't come close.

V-Shaped Rut
    I'm in the diSSent thread, but just a repeat:

I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam, 10.5 or 11 shoe size. I ride a large, 0 overlap. Sucks to be a midget.

The bike itself, what can you say? It rocks, a lot. Great geometry, many folks have built up very non budget bikes for a semi-budget frame. Will run 80mm to 120mm, suspension or rigid depending on the ride you want.

Cons, early version like mine have sliders with a somewhat short adjustment range. A half link solves the issue. Also dealing with the chain, the chainstay is pretty close meaning you can't leave much slack without worrying about chainslap. I wouldn't feel comfortable much below 32/18 because of this, but I'm not that manly anyway. Chainslap on an SS? :-0

Other than those minor issues (I think they're been corrected on the newer models?) it is really an awesome bike. I'd trade it, but only for a pimped Ti frame.

I
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misfit Psycles' diSSent 29'er.  Thoughts?-firstride.jpg  

Ballstein Models
    OP is looking at a small frame. Scot E is talking about a small frame. While the Dissent may "rock" there is a potentially significant toe overlap on the small frame.

Again, this is only an issue on the SMALL frame.

scot e is not alone: Misfit riders unite!

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a small frame and no overlap issues. Specifics: height 5'6", size 42 sidi dominators, cleat almost all the way forward, eggbeater pedals on 170 mm Eno cranks. Have used the rigid fork and currently have a 100 mm Reba, 2010 model. Used a King headset and now a crank brothers stainless low profile model. Tires are WW2.55. I have had no overlap issues. Like the frame better than my medium I tried first. Both were workable and ARE workable if you are 5'6" but I like that this small feels easier to throw around. Chain/chain stay clearance is a plus on the small also.

One complaint: For people of normal height...like me... the head tube height makes getting the bars level or lower than the seat difficult. I ordered a "dimension" brand drop stem through my local shop who ordered it through QBP. You can use a regular stem, buy the FU Bar 2 and flip it, but on the medium the brake levers hit the top tube. Bought the small frame to try the flipped Fu Bar as the top tube is lower but have not tried it yet as I decided to try a Nu Bar instead. I would just get the frame. How can you go wrong with a price under $300?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The one size smaller shoe, the sidi vs shimano, plus the cleat all the way forward might be just the difference. I guess you got lucky, I didn't - must be a gamble. Peter did tell me via email that he had had another toe overlap complaint. Here's a photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misfit Psycles' diSSent 29'er.  Thoughts?-dsc04367-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a small frame as well, (5'6" size 9 shoe) getting a Fox fork with G2 Geometry solved any problems of toe overlap for me. These can be had on e Bay brand new ~400. Handling is great I love my Misfit highly recommend one.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by scot e
    The one size smaller shoe, the sidi vs shimano, plus the cleat all the way forward might be just the difference. I guess you got lucky, I didn't - must be a gamble. Peter did tell me via email that he had had another toe overlap complaint. Here's a photo.
    Well shiver me timbers - I stand corrected.

V-Shaped Rut
    I think everyone who can read realizes that.

Quote Originally Posted by hogprint
    OP is looking at a small frame. Scot E is talking about a small frame. While the Dissent may "rock" there is a potentially significant toe overlap on the small frame.

Again, this is only an issue on the SMALL frame.

scot e is not alone: Misfit riders unite!

Ballstein Models
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    I think everyone who can read realizes that.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I am sure your mother is proud of you.

Perhaps then your contribution regarding your Large frame was meant for another thread.

Finally it is always nice to throw in an ad hominem attack just for good measure.

V-Shaped Rut
    The OP asked for general info on the bike, not specific questions about the S. I gave some hopefully useful general info not related to frame size at all and didn't say anything about the toe overlap issue that others have already mentioned.

You then made an issue out of it even though nothing I posted had a thing to do with it other than a little friendly ball breaking about short guys. Literally the only reason why the frame size was mentioned at all.

In you weren't trying to make an issue out of it then I misunderstood your intent.

Ad hominem would mean I'm making an argument against your character in an attempt to discredit your (perhaps valid) point. I'm a little confused because you didn't really make a point, I didn't argue against it and I also didn't make any attempt to argue against your character.

Not interested in debate club, just wanted to give the OP some useful insights about the frame in general. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Toe lap will be an issue if you run rigid fork of 47mm or less offset on a small frame. What I did to fix this for my wives bike was go with G2 fox f29. Also helped map111158 on his too this is the cure for toe lap. My wife was never gonna ride rigid anyway so it was simple. Not sure if there is a ridgid fork with a 51mm offset but sure is worth investigating.

Ballstein Models
    double post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast