nice marmot.

Misfit Psycles' diSSent 29'er. Thoughts?

Greetings.

So I came across this baby and i'm interested. Any thoughts? Experience? Knowledge?

http://www.psyclestore.com/products/...e.html#reviews
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My friend has one and really likes it. Fun company, easy to work with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have all the parts and just ordered the frame. I'm very excited about this buildup.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Look for the "Misfit Riders Unite" thread, all the information you could ever want.
    I have one and LOVE it. Great bike and a great company, Peter is the man!
    You can't go wrong with the Misfit diSSent frame.
    Enjoy !!

mtbr member
    I have an XL aluminum frame I want to get rid of if interested. Brand new, never built.

nice marmot.
    hey nubster...

would be interested, only, I'm 5'6" on good day.

mtbr Decade+
    I think Peter does that Epic Breck race.

Just lie in ambush trail side, billyclub him up side of the head as he passes and take his ride. It may take you some time to get used to the large size frame. Better yet, take a 70mm stem with you, use that as a club and swap it out after the mugging is complete.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

I <3 29ers
    Here's a link to the "Misfit riders unite" thread ..... Misfit riders unite!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

nice marmot.
    posted up in the thread. i am VERY excited about this. the ironic thing is... i even have a canadian passport!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtnsinbreck
    hey nubster...

would be interested, only, I'm 5'6" on good day.
    Just get some inserts for your shoes and you'll be good to go

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Just get some inserts for your shoes and you'll be good to go
    on a good day means i remembered to put the inserts into my shoes. i'm always shorter in the summer because my inserts don't work in my flip-flops

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you're really only 5'6" I'd look elsewhere. I have a small dissent frame and fork - I'm 5'8, with size 9/43 shoes. The toe overlap on it is horrendous unless in the last few months they've re-designed the geometry. If you go to a medium frame the front-center measurement begins to look passable - I couldn't get any support from Misfit to do any kind of exchange to a larger frame unfortunately - I got no response from them. It is totally un-useable on singletrack so I ended up building a Dillinger instead. I couldn't sell the dissent so I built it into a drop bar 29 for rails to trails etc and winter road bike.
    Last edited by scot e; 04-26-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Off the back...
    For reference, I am 5'10"ish [5'11" on a good day], short torso, long legs. I'm on a medium diSSent and have no overlap issues whatsoever, even with an Ardent 2.4 up front. I could have gone with a large, but I like smaller frames. The difference between the medium and the small in terms of overlap is a little over an inch, so how one would get overlap trouble is beyond me. Huge feet? Pedalling via the heels?
    dgsmills.com
    #pinkrobeyyc
    CMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No, seriously. Clipped in, cleat in about the middle, 170mm cranks, size 43 shimano shoes. Almost a full inch of overlap. My 43 sidis have a shorter toe on them but they still overlap. Just trying to help someone not make the same mistake. I know there are dissent lovers out there and I'm sure a medium or larger is just fine. I love the bike for how I've set it up - but it's more or less a straight line bike.

For the record I've two other 16" 29ers (Kona Kula 2-9 and Soul Dillinger) and I've got tons of room up there, tire doesn't come close.

V-Shaped Rut
    I'm in the diSSent thread, but just a repeat:

I'm 5'11" with 33" inseam, 10.5 or 11 shoe size. I ride a large, 0 overlap. Sucks to be a midget.

The bike itself, what can you say? It rocks, a lot. Great geometry, many folks have built up very non budget bikes for a semi-budget frame. Will run 80mm to 120mm, suspension or rigid depending on the ride you want.

Cons, early version like mine have sliders with a somewhat short adjustment range. A half link solves the issue. Also dealing with the chain, the chainstay is pretty close meaning you can't leave much slack without worrying about chainslap. I wouldn't feel comfortable much below 32/18 because of this, but I'm not that manly anyway. Chainslap on an SS? :-0

Other than those minor issues (I think they're been corrected on the newer models?) it is really an awesome bike. I'd trade it, but only for a pimped Ti frame.

I
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misfit Psycles' diSSent 29'er.  Thoughts?-firstride.jpg  

Ballstein Models
    OP is looking at a small frame. Scot E is talking about a small frame. While the Dissent may "rock" there is a potentially significant toe overlap on the small frame.

Again, this is only an issue on the SMALL frame.

scot e is not alone: Misfit riders unite!

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a small frame and no overlap issues. Specifics: height 5'6", size 42 sidi dominators, cleat almost all the way forward, eggbeater pedals on 170 mm Eno cranks. Have used the rigid fork and currently have a 100 mm Reba, 2010 model. Used a King headset and now a crank brothers stainless low profile model. Tires are WW2.55. I have had no overlap issues. Like the frame better than my medium I tried first. Both were workable and ARE workable if you are 5'6" but I like that this small feels easier to throw around. Chain/chain stay clearance is a plus on the small also.

One complaint: For people of normal height...like me... the head tube height makes getting the bars level or lower than the seat difficult. I ordered a "dimension" brand drop stem through my local shop who ordered it through QBP. You can use a regular stem, buy the FU Bar 2 and flip it, but on the medium the brake levers hit the top tube. Bought the small frame to try the flipped Fu Bar as the top tube is lower but have not tried it yet as I decided to try a Nu Bar instead. I would just get the frame. How can you go wrong with a price under $300?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The one size smaller shoe, the sidi vs shimano, plus the cleat all the way forward might be just the difference. I guess you got lucky, I didn't - must be a gamble. Peter did tell me via email that he had had another toe overlap complaint. Here's a photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misfit Psycles' diSSent 29'er.  Thoughts?-dsc04367-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a small frame as well, (5'6" size 9 shoe) getting a Fox fork with G2 Geometry solved any problems of toe overlap for me. These can be had on e Bay brand new ~400. Handling is great I love my Misfit highly recommend one.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by scot e
    The one size smaller shoe, the sidi vs shimano, plus the cleat all the way forward might be just the difference. I guess you got lucky, I didn't - must be a gamble. Peter did tell me via email that he had had another toe overlap complaint. Here's a photo.
    Well shiver me timbers - I stand corrected.
    dgsmills.com
    #pinkrobeyyc
    CMBA

V-Shaped Rut
    I think everyone who can read realizes that.

Quote Originally Posted by hogprint
    OP is looking at a small frame. Scot E is talking about a small frame. While the Dissent may "rock" there is a potentially significant toe overlap on the small frame.

Again, this is only an issue on the SMALL frame.

scot e is not alone: Misfit riders unite!

Ballstein Models
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    I think everyone who can read realizes that.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I am sure your mother is proud of you.

Perhaps then your contribution regarding your Large frame was meant for another thread.

Finally it is always nice to throw in an ad hominem attack just for good measure.

V-Shaped Rut
    The OP asked for general info on the bike, not specific questions about the S. I gave some hopefully useful general info not related to frame size at all and didn't say anything about the toe overlap issue that others have already mentioned.

You then made an issue out of it even though nothing I posted had a thing to do with it other than a little friendly ball breaking about short guys. Literally the only reason why the frame size was mentioned at all.

In you weren't trying to make an issue out of it then I misunderstood your intent.

Ad hominem would mean I'm making an argument against your character in an attempt to discredit your (perhaps valid) point. I'm a little confused because you didn't really make a point, I didn't argue against it and I also didn't make any attempt to argue against your character.

Not interested in debate club, just wanted to give the OP some useful insights about the frame in general. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Toe lap will be an issue if you run rigid fork of 47mm or less offset on a small frame. What I did to fix this for my wives bike was go with G2 fox f29. Also helped map111158 on his too this is the cure for toe lap. My wife was never gonna ride rigid anyway so it was simple. Not sure if there is a ridgid fork with a 51mm offset but sure is worth investigating.

Ballstein Models
    double post

Ballstein Models
    argument against your character
    Was referring to the short folks comment in reference to scot e

Not interested in debate club
    and neither am I

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat
    Toe lap will be an issue if you run rigid fork of 47mm or less offset on a small frame. What I did to fix this for my wives bike was go with G2 fox f29. Also helped map111158 on his too this is the cure for toe lap. My wife was never gonna ride rigid anyway so it was simple. Not sure if there is a ridgid fork with a 51mm offset but sure is worth investigating.

And therein lies the rub - I was building a rigid singlespeed using Misfit's own fork - which got good reviews on 29 inches but was used with a larger frame size. I think if there were more people riding the small frames and using Peter's fork (or most rigid forks for that matter) you'd here more of this.

Because of the head tube angle, the wheel base on the misfit, at least on small frames, is WAY shorter than other 29ers on the market today. Most vendors have slacked the HTA out for small frames I think, to deal with the old 29er problem of 29 inch wheels reaching too far back when the front geometry is short. I think Misfit missed this and I hope they will correct it. Both my other 29ers (one rigid, one hardtail, neither G2, both small) have a wheel base a good two inches longer than my dissent.

So hopefully my advice is a bit more qualified now. The rigid singlespeed I built instead is a gen 3 Dillinger which so far I can't say enough good things about and there are no geometry concerns whatsoever, except the small may still be pushing it for someone who is 5'6".

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Im also looking to take my first step in the 29er world, and due to being short, 5'2" and spending many work hours (!) looking through the threads here i've decided on the misfit diSSent small frame. Although i have now come across the above toe overhang problem.

Im looking to go front sus, 1x9 geard and my SPDs are a size 6 (US). My questions are this: Am i going to have this problem? Is going the front sus my old option (to have the above 47mm offset).

cheers

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was almost ready to buy a small Dissent as well, at least until I read about the toe overlap issues people are having on the small frames. I wanted to purchase their rigid fork as well. Are there any rigid forks that a greater offset than the Dissent rigid fork.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by scot e
    If you're really only 5'6" I'd look elsewhere. I have a small dissent frame and fork - I'm 5'8, with size 9/43 shoes. The toe overlap on it is horrendous unless in the last few months they've re-designed the geometry. If you go to a medium frame the front-center measurement begins to look passable - I couldn't get any support from Misfit to do any kind of exchange to a larger frame unfortunately - I got no response from them. It is totally un-useable on singletrack so I ended up building a Dillinger instead. I couldn't sell the dissent so I built it into a drop bar 29 for rails to trails etc and winter road bike.
    you bought the wrong size. 5'8" is a medium.
    5'6" might even re-look at the ETT of the medium and see as well.
    these frames do not have stand-over issues so people need to return to buying frames based on fit not crotch contact.
    for the record: if you are looking at a diSSent DO NOT conclude "I ride a 16" with XYZ therefore I am a 15" with Misfit".

ETT is the best way to size a frame. ALL seat tube designators (of size) should DIE.

43 shoe on a small? NEVER.
    i anticipated 38 to 40...maybe a stretch beyond dependant on setup.

the small geometry will not see a change for this reason.
    the small was designed for small riders and not medium riders who like small frames.

there are too many (ride) characteristics i wanted to maintain on the frame that would be compromised by increasing the wheelbase or ht or whathave you.
    what i need is i NEED to be more specific on limitations and expectations for each size...project for June.

scot - RETURN POLICY
    no response? suppose it could happen but i'd suggest you didn't try that hard, i'm a lot of things, unresponsive isn't usually one.
    the answer (sadly for some time) is simple, medium frames are out of stock (due to arrive June 30+-). we can make you a deal to get a medium frame when they arrive...i won't eat the small but i will be fair.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Misfit Psycles
    YES.
    since i initiated the closeout on older frames (specifically the Small and XLarge) i have seen a dramatic instance of MIS-FIT issues, logic says this is people compromising their proper size to save $ and NOT the result of issues surfacing on a 4 y/o design.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Dudette
    Exactly. I went on a small based on my size (just under 5'4") and ETT. The medium seemed like that it would just be too long. I knew I might have some minor toe overlap issues with the small, which I do...but like I said, they are minor. Overall I absolutely LOVE the fit and feel of this frame - never had anything better. My latest posts have solely been on interest of putting a suspension fork on and what people's experiences have been and recommendations. I want some squish and like the idea of a little more offset...but not at the cost of totally compromising the geometry/fit/feel of this bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat

What size shoe does your wife wear?

mtbr member
    I have to say out of the last 25yrs of mountain biking that the customer service I have gotten from Peter has been top notch. The man has passion and will share it when you call. On that note I personally would not purchase a bike that I would not be able to test ride, touch or smell unless I had gotten all my answers from the person who directly deals with them. The best part when I first thought of going with dissent was that Peter pick up the phone numerous times to answer all the mindless questions before purchase. Win for me and Peter as I was the first in NJ to own one and now have no less then 4 more with a few I know waiting on inventory. I offer my advice on the small as I have put two together but really the Man up in the great white north helped me along the way. Call him he can be a pleasure to talk to if you catch him on a good day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Can you not feel the love with over 37,000 hits?
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jam001
    Hello,
    I came across your ad and I'll like to know the following questions
    regarding the ad.

Q#1. How long have you owned it?
    Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? No b) If not how many previous owner?
    Q#3. Why are you selling it?
    Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of condition is it?
    Q#5. Any available photo? Yes,
    Q#6. How much are you asking for it?
    Q#7. Do you accept a Cashier Check as a mode of payment.
    I'll like to have the response to these question in
    your earliest convenience. Hope to hear from you
    soon.
    You forgot question 8: Will you ship to Nigeria?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    You forgot question 8: Will you ship to Nigeria?
    I'm not sure about that. I think his business agent will contact him to arrange pick up/shipping.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This is a awsome frame!! I went with a medium. 5' 8" 43 shoe size. Overlap not a issue. Peter was great in fielding my questions and helped with recommendations on the build as I went along.Great customer service, in fact I think I will be doing another build , this one for my son because he keeps stealing my SS Dissent and leaving me a Trek Fuel non-29er . This has to come to a end.
    The bike is silly fast, it just rolls over obstacles and carves the corners.

Dissent -Medium
    Rock Shox Tora 318
    Race Face crank -34T
    BB7 brakes
    Cod gear 20 T
    Hope -Seat collar and Skewers ( Gold Bling of course )
    Crank Brothers -Eggbeaters
    WTB Laser Disc -rims
    Tires Kenda-Nevegal and WTB -Rampage

mtbr member
    +1 to RAVEN7's comment.

I'm 5' and 8.75" (about 175#) with a 44ish shoe size running the 2010 FOX 100mm 29er. Overlap not an issue at all for me. Even when I'm stopped and trying to figure out if it could be an issue. Sorry to hear some folks have that problem. No, it's not a perfect frame but the bike is simply wonderful. It comes alive when you're hauling azz. It wants more. It's smooth, it's nice, it's feels f-ing alive. Like a bike worth lots of $$$ more. Misfit build kit was on the money. Not the lightest but it's been solid and well performing with minimal and nominal amount of wear and tear that one would expect from heavy riding. Customer service and no-BS responses from Peter are great, of course keeping in mind he's just one dude and can't always respond real quick.

It felt all weird but I did buy this totally sight unseen, never smelled, nothing. And I got a good deal on one of the last Mk.i's in a medium. I'm not even sure there's still another or many misfits within the state of NC. But man oh man, I did not go wrong! The bike's a freaking religion! If I'm allowed to make such a comparison it is like the trailbike of the 29'er SS world.

I could go on....

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN 7
    This is a awsome frame!! I went with a medium. 5' 8" 43 shoe size. Overlap not a issue. Peter was great in fielding my questions and helped with recommendations on the build as I went along.Great customer service, in fact I think I will be doing another build , this one for my son because he keeps stealing my SS Dissent and leaving me a Trek Fuel non-29er . This has to come to a end.
    The bike is silly fast, it just rolls over obstacles and carves the corners.

Dissent -Medium
    Rock Shox Tora 318
    Race Face crank -34T
    BB7 brakes
    Cod gear 20 T
    Hope -Seat collar and Skewers ( Gold Bling of course )
    Crank Brothers -Eggbeaters
    WTB Laser Disc -rims
    Tires Kenda-Nevegal and WTB -Rampage

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This is a sam Peter....any **** from Nigeria is a scam. I have alerted MTBRs team several times about these dick heads paying with cashiers checks and shipping that sounds like a ****ing retared trip. Sorry to sound so racist/biased but these guys have now stared coming into our bike forums to ruin our habits. I have gotten tones of emails for my sale listing in the past....al BS. Find out more from scams on mtbr. Beware of these guys and there outrageous emails!!!! and its all nigerian ****ers

mtbr member
    May 2009
    **** off you bloody nigerian scammer

V-Shaped Rut
    Uh..... What? I get that you're mad, but the atrocious spelling and grammar clouds any other meaning. Are you from Nigeria?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I had deferent experience with them

Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    My friend has one and really likes it. Fun company, easy to work with.
    www.psyclestore.com shipping cost for a frame over sea is 350$ !!!
    So I emailed them asking if they could add another (sane one) shipping option.

They never returned my Email…

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey big slaker...was in a hurry and had enough of these guys. BTW I am trying to help white dudes like you not get ****ed in the ass by guys like this. So spelling & grammer aside, sip your beer and relax....this has nothing to do with you. Be grateful that there are guys like me on the watch out for punks trying to scam others!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drorl

I know you're overseas...which makes calling quite expensive, but I've never gotten a returned e-mail either. I almost always get through when I call though.

Kinda frustrating for you, but a cheap calling card is all I can suggest.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Drorl

shipping is the biggest single PIA we deal with on a daily basis.
    i hate UPS but the options are worse...we've tried fedex (ground), dhl, LTL freight...from canada shipping (cost, service, value) is just idiotic - ANYWHERE.

one frame from TO to LA costs us 120$ (of which we pass on only 65$ and complaints about THAT are in the 75% range). that same box from NY, about 35$...
    the international (overseas) rates shown are calculated, ****ty and entirely accurate on the website. 350 overseas...YES.

sorry Drorl, unless you have an account that can do better, is what it is.
    btw: looked back to June 1 and still don't see an email unless you are in Hong Kong looking to by 10 pieces ULTEGRA GROUP and pay by moneygram...

if you want to source around by all means, maybe i missed something.

BOX 42x9x21" 8lb (make sure you use the dims as it is cubed - dim weight approx 50lb)
    PICKUP Bolton ON CANADA L7E4T1
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by waspirate
    Hey big slaker...was in a hurry and had enough of these guys. BTW I am trying to help white dudes like you not get ****ed in the ass by guys like this. So spelling & grammer aside, sip your beer and relax....this has nothing to do with you. Be grateful that there are guys like me on the watch out for punks trying to scam others!
    Hahaa! I'm a network security guy, I fight the good fight against Nigeria, RBN, korea and other scourges of the internet. Chill bro, there are pros on the job.

And as usual I'm just ****ing around. I wish I could drink a beer right now but I'm teaching n00bs to also fight the bad guys, they'll be ready for battle in like....... 10 years at this rate.

I'm just messing with you
    I'm teaching n00bs to also fight the bad guys, they'll be ready for battle in like....... 10 years at this rate.
    Give them a quick start -> http://419eater.com/ and/or http://ebolamonkeyman.com/
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    shipping is the biggest single PIA we deal with on a daily basis.
    i hate UPS but the options are worse...we've tried fedex (ground), dhl, LTL freight...from canada shipping (cost, service, value) is just idiotic - ANYWHERE.

one frame from TO to LA costs us 120$ (of which we pass on only 65$ and complaints about THAT are in the 75% range). that same box from NY, about 35$...
    the international (overseas) rates shown are calculated, ****ty and entirely accurate on the website. 350 overseas...YES.

sorry Drorl, unless you have an account that can do better, is what it is.
    btw: looked back to June 1 and still don't see an email unless you are in Hong Kong looking to by 10 pieces ULTEGRA GROUP and pay by moneygram...

if you want to source around by all means, maybe i missed something.

BOX 42x9x21" 8lb (make sure you use the dims as it is cubed - dim weight approx 50lb)
    PICKUP Bolton ON CANADA L7E4T1
    Thanks for this replay I appreciate it.

I ended up with a redline D440 for now and happy with it.

I have a self imposed annual MTB budget that I follow and still need to do some shopping before buying another frame this year.

Last time I check www.likinbikin.com didn’t have a dissent frame in stock (I have being checking them for 4 months) but now they seem to have them.
    The shipping cost from there is OK so that's problem solved…

Thanks again,

Future customer Drorl