mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Minitou tower pro on GT karakoram 3.0?

I posted this in the shocks section but I figured more 28er people would check it out here.

I have a GT karakoram 3.0. I've been thinking about upgrading the fork. Could I put a manitou tower pro on it? I'm new to MTBiking and especially the fork stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes an excellent choice. Fully tunable with the shim stack.
    Manitou uses a longer top piece for 120mm travel and cuts it down to save weight for 100mm and 80mm. The travel is set by the ride kit rod. So if you got a 120mm travel fork and a 100mm ride kit with a softer or firmer spring(the springs interchange) based on your weight, you'd have some added future travel and ride adjustability.
    There's a Manitou tuning thread in Suspensions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the response. I weight around 165 and I'm 5'11". I think my current shock has 100mm travel. Will it hurt the bike if I go to 120mm? Would I have to get a new front wheel or anything? I guess I'm kind of confused with the pull out axle. Right now I have a quick release but my axle doesn't come out.

mtbr member
    I have Karakoram 3.0 as well. I looked hard at the manitou and almost pulled the trigger. However, everything I read about the tower pro you couldn't change the travel from 120mm to 100mm.

The stock sun tour has a 100mm travel. Most seem to say that going up to 120mm is fine. I didn't want to take the chance plus 100mm is fine for my aggressive riding style.

If the fork you are looking at getting has a 15mm axle you will have to get a new wheel. The stock rim is not ccompatable.

Take a look at the x-fusion slide 29 fork. I love mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VuDoo11 View Post
    I have Karakoram 3.0 as well. I looked hard at the manitou and almost pulled the trigger. However, everything I read about the tower pro you couldn't change the travel from 120mm to 100mm.

The stock sun tour has a 100mm travel. Most seem to say that going up to 120mm is fine. I didn't want to take the chance plus 100mm is fine for my aggressive riding style.

If the fork you are looking at getting has a 15mm axle you will have to get a new wheel. The stock rim is not ccompatable.

Take a look at the x-fusion slide 29 fork. I love mine.
    I will take a look at that fork. Thanks.

How do I know if it has a 15mm axle?

mtbr member
    Are you looking at the manitou on Jenson? Those are 20mm axle. Look at the descriptions it should tell you what axle the fork uses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Are you looking at the manitou on Jenson? Those are 20mm axle. Look at the descriptions it should tell you what axle the fork uses.
    Yes, I was looking at the one on Jenson. I wanted a black one though... Is there a benefit to different axle sizes? If I were to buy a new fork what axle size should I try to get etc.?

mtbr member
    The tower pro do not come in black. The tower experts do.

You will need to get a new front wheel that has a hub that can support a 20mm axle if you get that fork from Jenson.

The only advantage of a 15 and 20mm axle is that it stiffens up the front end for cornering and what not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The tower pro do not come in black. The tower experts do.

You will need to get a new front wheel that has a hub that can support a 20mm axle if you get that fork from Jenson.

The only advantage of a 15 and 20mm axle is that it stiffens up the front end for cornering and what not.
    Dang, my whole bike is black... White for and black bike might look pretty funny, especially because the decals are all red.

I guess I'll have to do some research with the two.

Would I have to replace both my wheels or just the front one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiebs915 View Post
    Dang, my whole bike is black... White for and black bike might look pretty funny, especially because the decals are all red.

I guess I'll have to do some research with the two.

Would I have to replace both my wheels or just the front one?

Ok, unless I'm not seeing something this guy has a black tower pro.

Manitou Tower Pro Review - 29er fork test - YouTube

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    personally, I'd get the Manitou, not that the Xfusion isn't good, but with the 20mm axle there is a really noticeably better/stiffer front end.

you will need to get a new wheel (or re- lace to a new hub with 20mm) but you can get those fairly cheaply these days. Unless you have hubs with the pop out tips in the hub (not likely but ya never know with out looking)

color will look fine with the white fork, might actually look better having it stick out a tad.. (but that's all personal )

The Xfusion will be a nice upgrade over the Suntour,.. end up a tad cheaper, but be heavier and not quite as stiff (though again, a major improvement over the stock fork)

really either will be a noticeable feel and you'll be happy either way. Just the Manitou is an extra step up for a reasonable price increase .
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    personally, I'd get the Manitou, not that the Xfusion isn't good, but with the 20mm axle there is a really noticeably better/stiffer front end.

you will need to get a new wheel (or re- lace to a new hub with 20mm) but you can get those fairly cheaply these days. Unless you have hubs with the pop out tips in the hub (not likely but ya never know with out looking)

What do you mean by this? What is re-lace? How do I know if I have the pop out tips? haha

color will look fine with the white fork, might actually look better having it stick out a tad.. (but that's all personal )

We'll see. I'm thinking only the 26" one is the black tower pro...

The Xfusion will be a nice upgrade over the Suntour,.. end up a tad cheaper, but be heavier and not quite as stiff (though again, a major improvement over the stock fork)

really either will be a noticeable feel and you'll be happy either way. Just the Manitou is an extra step up for a reasonable price increase .

Thankf for the info!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    What do you mean by this? What is re-lace? How do I know if I have the pop out tips? haha
    re-lacing is taking the hub out and changing to a new one.. "Lacing" is basically the act of taking the hub and lacing the spokes so the little pieces of wire support the pressures applied to the hub abd floating it inside a hoop, or rim

We'll see. I'm thinking only the 26" one is the black tower pro...
    there is no 26" Tower... Manitou changed the Names of the 29er forks all to tower as people were getting confused with the Minute models in both sizes or some such thing. Basically the Tower Pro is the old Minute 29er, and the Expert is the Old Drake 29er... Anything labeled "Tower" is a 29er fork
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    re-lacing is taking the hub out and changing to a new one.. "Lacing" is basically the act of taking the hub and lacing the spokes so the little pieces of wire support the pressures applied to the hub abd floating it inside a hoop, or rim

there is no 26" Tower... Manitou changed the Names of the 29er forks all to tower as people were getting confused with the Minute models in both sizes or some such thing. Basically the Tower Pro is the old Minute 29er, and the Expert is the Old Drake 29er... Anything labeled "Tower" is a 29er fork
    So, if I bought a new hub instead of a whole new wheel how or where would I get it re-laced onto my existing wheel?

mtbr member
    Just get a new wheel. Trust me.... The stock Alex rim is not worth saving and rebuilding. It will save you more money just buying a new wheel.

If I were you I would just go to blueskycycling and get the 2011 Reba they have for the same price as the manitou and is a very good fork without all the hassle of buying new springs, and wheel(set).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just get a new wheel. Trust me.... The stock Alex rim is not worth saving and rebuilding. It will save you more money just buying a new wheel.

If I were you I would just go to blueskycycling and get the 2011 Reba they have for the same price as the manitou and is a very good fork without all the hassle of buying new springs, and wheel(set).
    Thanks! The reba seems nice too. Does the larger axle really make much of a difference? I'd upgrade if its worth it.

mtbr member
    People say that 15mm axle is enough and don't see much of a difference going from 15 to 20, but notice a difference from the 9 to 15. The larger axles are becoming the norm for bikes just as the tapered steerer. Since the Karakoram comes with a straight steerer and standard QR, I would say just stick with the same setup. Being new to the sport it will be enough for a while and by the time you get your skills up you will most likely be ready to get a better bike.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya.. he's probably right, after you spend the $$$ to re-lace you might as well just get a better wheel..

well I'm replacing my Reba with the Manitou. I pretty much hate the Reba, one of the worse forks I've ever owned, multiple rebuilds in the first yr. I will say the newer ones seem to be much better.. (mine's a 2007-8 model)Personally, I'd take the Xfusion over the Reba for the $$$ but any of the choices aren't going to be bad and will be a MAJOR improvement over the one you have now

mtbr member
    Thomllama is right, any fork is an upgrade. I weighed the sun tour fork before installing the slide. The suntour weighs 5.6 lbs... The slide weighs 4 and the tower pro is 3.75lbs. No more pogo stick on the trail and floats over roots and bumps. Totally changes the feel of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Manitou on their site has a parts list for Tower pro forks. You can change a 120mm fork to 100mm travel by using a rod from the 100mm ride kit. At your weight I would order a medium spring 100mm ride kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Manitou on their site has a parts list for Tower pro forks. You can change a 120mm fork to 100mm travel by using a rod from the 100mm ride kit. At your weight I would order a medium spring 100mm ride kit.
    Why not buy a 100mm fork ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Would having 20mm of extra travel be that bad?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    bump

mtbr member
    It will change the way the bike handles. If too much it could do damage to the frame.