mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Mid Travel Front, Short Travel Rear Full Sus

Hey all,

I am interested in trying out a 29er with a short travel rear end and longer front fork. I was always interested in the Kona Process 111 but they don't make it anymore. What else is out there right now besides the Santa Cruz Tallboy?

mtbr member
    Pivot mach429
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    The Niner RKT 9 RDO has 90mm in the back, and the factory builds all spec a 120mm fork. I just posted a thread looking for opinions on this bike. If that is too XC for you, the Pivot Mach 429SL is 100mm in the back and can be run with a 120mm fork, itís a very popular bike, it would be a great descending XC bike.

mtbr member
    Banshee Phantom

MTB B'dos
    This is my preference when it comes to FS and I have the Banshee Phantom (105mm rear/130mm front), mine turns 4 this year, still very happy with it. If you want carbon, then there's the Yeti SB4.5 with 115mm rear and recommended from 130-150mm front. The key to me is good geo and both of these have it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    The Niner RKT 9 RDO has 90mm in the back, and the factory builds all spec a 120mm fork. I just posted a thread looking for opinions on this bike. If that is too XC for you, the Pivot Mach 429SL is 100mm in the back and can be run with a 120mm fork, itís a very popular bike, it would be a great descending XC bike.
    I have a 130 on 429SL and Pivot's official word is the frame is designed for 100-120 and 130 is the max. The 130 is great on the bike. I put a large volume spacer in the Fox shock and the rear end works well with the front. Without the spacer I blew through the travel on the shock too fast. Makes it a great XC to medium duty trail bike.

mtbr member
    Is the Phantom the shortest travel bike in this segment? The non-XC agro geometry FS bikes. Does anyone use less than 105mm?

Personally, I keep thinking about a Phantom, long shock Fox DPX2, and an offset bushing to run it at 120mm rear with a 140mm fork. Probably with a -1 headset as well. Just can't get it off my mind. If only the stack height wasn't so low...

MTB B'dos
    Far as I know it is, can't think of any other with this travel, geometry and adjustability with the changeable drop outs. Not so sure on the long shocking thing though, know the designer fairly well and take him to be an honest guy and he recommended against running a longer 190x50 shock, despite the frame having enough room. FYI, if you were thinking of doing that to get that shock to work, you don't have to, it comes in a 7.25"x1.75", which is what the Phantom uses 184x44

Explore DPX2 Bike Shocks | FOX

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Is the Phantom the shortest travel bike in this segment? The non-XC agro geometry FS bikes. Does anyone use less than 105mm?

Personally, I keep thinking about a Phantom, long shock Fox DPX2, and an offset bushing to run it at 120mm rear with a 140mm fork. Probably with a -1 headset as well. Just can't get it off my mind. If only the stack height wasn't so low...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Evil Following MB is a choice.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post

Former Phantom rider here. Take a look at Guerilla Gravity's Trail Pistol. Off the top of my head, what you're looking for is there in a TP. And a water bottle holder inside the front triangle! I've found the TP to be better for me in every way to the Phantom, which was awesome in its own right.

mtbr member
    RM Element F=120mm/R=100mm
    https://youtu.be/ymm3NuS1qR0
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I love the Phantom. If only it had a bottle mount in the cage.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    Former Phantom rider here. Take a look at Guerilla Gravity's Trail Pistol. Off the top of my head, what you're looking for is there in a TP. And a water bottle holder inside the front triangle! I've found the TP to be better for me in every way to the Phantom, which was awesome in its own right.
    Agreed. I'm way in love with my Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol. It's an American made aluminum frame with a threaded bottom bracket. GG's geometry means it ascends as well as it descends -- which is very good. Guerrilla Gravity | Trail Pistol | Info, Geometry, and Specs
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Other bikes you should ride:
    Pivot 429 Trail not SL
    116/120 or 116/130

Intense Primer
    130/130 115/130

Both of these are DW link bikes like the Tallboy VPP but slightly different design

Yeti SB4.5
    114/140

Switch infinity of course. I find the tune setup has to be perfect on this bike to not feel like riding a waterbed.

I went with my XC roots and preference for light bikes. Trek Top fuel and will put a Fox 34 120mm up font. I'm a peddler and dont feel I need as much travel to ride off similar terrain to the majority of my compadres.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Other bikes you should ride:
    Pivot 429 Trail not SL
    116/120 or 116/130

Intense Primer
    130/130 115/130

Both of these are DW link bikes like the Tallboy VPP but slightly different design.
    Primer is not dw link.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My bad, VPP, hence rides similar to tallboy IMO or even LT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    My bad, VPP, hence rides similar to tallboy IMO or even LT.

My nephew used to ride Maestro and currently has a 429Trail. He demoed a Primer and loved it on the ups and downs. Said it pedaled just as good as my old Turner Czar and his Pivot 429 Trail everywhere. My cousin ended up with a closeout Primer after demoing Yeti, Pivot, etc. The JST Tuned Intense and V3 VPP are night and day better than old VPP.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Mid Travel Front, Short Travel Rear Full Sus

I rode the primer and felt it was wallowy and sloppy. It wasn't the bikes fault. I bought an ABP full floater trek.

The funny thing about demoing bikes is they are usually not set up at all to where they need to be and you make rash judgements on bikes when it's all in the shock tune and your settings.

All of these bikes work well. Not everyone knows how to dial in a suspension specific to their style and preference until multiple rides on the bike. We all know that the guy at the demo truck is setting it up off some spec that may be way out of whack.

My first ride in the trek was pretty terrible. 5 hard rides and one race later it's Dialed and the bike is fantastic.

All of these bikes will be a blast. It usually comes down to price, fit, and aesthetics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Iím surprised no one has mentioned the Yeti SB4.5. Love mine and the only place I feel outgunned on it is at the bike park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringfork View Post
    Iím surprised no one has mentioned the Yeti SB4.5. Love mine and the only place I feel outgunned on it is at the bike park.
    Or the Ripley LS.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not sure what you mean by short travel but my Pivot Mach 429 Trail is 116 rear and can be ran with up to 140mm in front. I also looked at the Following and the Yeti 4.5SB. It's a good combo for midwest trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I looked at pivot 429 trail, yeti 4.5 and Ripley LS...also the following...was going to order a yeti turq 4.5, but went with a Ripley LS x01 build from cc...40% off...hard to beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    40% off? Industry purchase? That wasn't on my radar when I bought my Pivot but that's one awesome looking bike and should be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    went with a Ripley LS x01 build from cc...40% off...hard to beat!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Fatty View Post
    40% off? Industry purchase? That wasn't on my radar when I bought my Pivot but that's one awesome looking bike and should be perfect!
    Left over 2017 in xl. I thought i was 6 ft tall, but after measuring I am 6í 1 1/2Ē...xl was then in play for me. Figure it is about $3,000 less than the yeti x01 4.5 I was going to order...I couldnít pass it up

2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Fatty View Post
    CC = Competitive Cyclist, and I'm guessing the 40% off includes Active Junky cash back?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    CC = Competitive Cyclist, and I'm guessing the 40% off includes Active Junky cash back?
    Active junky doesnít give cash back on ibis or yeti anymore. 40% off was straight discount from competitive cyclist...think they still have some left? I wanted black xl and those were gone, so I took an orange xl

2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29"

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Here it is

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/i...F0MTAwMjA3NTk3

2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29"