Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

MBA's review of 26 vs 27.5 vs 29ers

Totally sh1ting on the 29er now! Now its the up and coming 27.5 thats the king of the mountain, with 26 in second and our beloved 29ers falling short in every category (climbing, corning, and descending)! Funny how the marketing "new" products thing works!
    Last edited by dogo; 05-26-2012 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    i'm interested to give this b wheel thing a try. i'm 6'3" so i feel like proportionately a 29er bike would feel the same to me as a B or 26er to someone else but i do notice a bit of sluggish cornering with the 29ers i've ridden.

could be a "happy medium" type dealy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I understand completely wanted to try something new, shoot thats the reason why i bought my 29er. I also understand not every wheel size is going to fit everyone, hence the 29er being better suited for larger folk, but cmon the way they pooped on 29ers in the review was hard to swallow..

AZ
    banned
    When did Mountain Bike Fiction become relevant?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great thread...I'm excited to see where it goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    When did Mountain Bike Fiction become relevant?
    I agree, it's just the total marlarkey of pushing a new product thats bothersome.. I know when 29ers first hit the scene there was a market push, but 3inchs is a lot out on the trail.. Is +/- 1.5 really going to be that ground braking?? Please correct me if I'm wrong..
    Last edited by dogo; 05-26-2012 at 04:05 PM.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo View Post
    I agree, it's just the total marlarkey of pushing a new product thats bothersome.. I know when 29ers first hit the scene there was a market push, but 3inchs is a lot of the trail.. Is +/- 1.5 really going to be that ground braking?? Please correct me if I'm wrong..
    Not even a new product.
    650B has been round for ages.
    Seriously I REALLY dont get it.
    All these people suddenly "discovering" 650B??
    The concept has been around for about the same amount of time as 29ers and has basically been ignored.
    In all that time they still have bugger all tyre and rim choice, not to mention fork choice.
    I dont get why it is suddenly "awesome".

It is plain and simple hype. Just like the hype around 26ers, 29ers, 650B, through axles, tapered steerers etc etc etc being better.

As I said elsewhere you can hype it anyway you like.
    You could say that it has all of the benefits of each and none of the downside.
    OR as I prefer to think of it,
    you could say they have all of the downsides of each and none of the upside.

I also think that there are some bike companies who simply dont want to do the R&D on the 29er platform and see the ability to possibly squeeze in some 650B wheels into their existing frames as the next best option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think I just need to own at least one of each and come to my own conclusion. :-)

conjoinicorned
    it was only a couple issues ago they were calling for the death of the 26er hardtail and praising 29er trail bikes. still a fun read though, just don't take it seriously
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    No no no, they have it all wrong. . . Twenty EIGHT in front, 26.7225 in the back, that's the optimal. it's called a sixty seventy eighty'r
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    I think I just need to own at least one of each and come to my own conclusion. :-)
    Exactly how they want you to think! I agree with TR completely. All it is, is a big push to sell bikes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    it was only a couple issues ago they were calling for the death of the 26er hardtail and praising 29er trail bikes. still a fun read though, just don't take it seriously
    So I should read it like I read the huffington post!?

mtbr member
    Remember when they said "stick a fork in them there done" about 29ers??

Really,this magazine is getting to be the biggest pile of crap there is.

last year they stested a speci camber and twice in the article they explained how they ran less psi in the neg chamber on the rockshox fork on the bike to get a better ride.

To bad the bike clearly had a recon tk single air fork on it.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    MBA? Did they say it is between how a 26 and a 29 feels? I feel confident that some of their writers do not ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Having owned several 29er's "not for me" still find 26er's best for my needs, and ridden a few 650b,I'm totally sold on them,gain everything lose nothing! with the industry gearing up for them it should be interesting to see how it will stack up overall in comparison to most bikers needs!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Exactly how they want you to think! I agree with TR completely. All it is, is a big push to sell bikes!
    Indeed. And I do fall for it from time to time but it definitely doesn't take a magazine article to make me want to try something different. Just knowing that there is something different is enough. I don't buy stuff just because some stranger with different opinions, riding a trail that I will probably never set a tire on, says something is better than another. But for me, part of the fun of this sport is the hardware. In over two decades of riding I've seen a lot of new technologies come and go. I enjoy reading about it and most of all trying it because that means I am on the trails. 26", 27.5", 29"...I just like riding bikes. I've even been caught trying to ride my kid's 12" bike just to see if I can, doesn't matter to me!

mtbr member
    I want to try a "Killer B"...it may be great...we won't know until we try it. Love my 29er...but again, you don't know what you are missing until you try it. I think having the different sizes is great; it has re-invigorated the MTB industry and makes things exciting again. Also realize that the shoot-out was on FS...this has always been the bain of 29er-dom..and maybe 650b really is the better way to go for longer travel FS.

On another note, they really did crap all over 29ers like they are hogs that you can't handle. Give me a break.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I agree, it's just the total marlarkey of pushing a new product thats bothersome.. I know when 29ers first hit the scene there was a market push, but 3inchs is a lot out on the trail.. Is +/- 1.5 really going to be that ground braking?? Please correct me if I'm wrong..
    +1.

The only reason I see for the smaller wheels would be for f/s. The more suspension the smaller the wheels unless you want to end up on a really "big" bike. That said, I've never tried a 29er f/s and many people seem really satisfied.

Do we need 3 sizes? Or I suppose 4 with 36ers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post

On another note, they really did crap all over 29ers like they are hogs that you can't handle. Give me a break.

Hey I'm up for trying new things myself, but to sh1t on one to push another, when they've praised 29ers numerous times before is B.S..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Simply doesn't make any sense.

The theory is that the bigger wheels smooth out the trail and add climbing traction and stability and now want to hype up a smaller wheel.Are we really that naive?

I am done with 26 but not jumping on a 27.5 anytime soon.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Was it just me or was anyone else annoyed with the lack of disclaimers about the extremely limited scope of the 'test'. The conclusion they came to seems no more profound than that among the KHS full-suspension rigs they were testing, those testers liked the 650B the best compared to the KHS 26er and the KHS 29er, on the trails they were riding them on. I think the unfortunate part is that some readers will take their conclusions as definitive about wheel size.

I will stipulate that the article peaked my interest in 650B enough to at least try one. My guess is that the wheels will feel small...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's okay to sell lots and lots of bikes.

EXORCIZE
    Having let my MBA subscription lapse years ago, I'm no fan. But I've been waiting/hoping for a nice crop of 650b FS bikes to become available. I've owned 26 HT, 26FS, 29HT, 29 soft-tail, and 29 FS, and currently think 650b would make the best FS for me and my trails.
    ride natty ride

Rohloff
    If 27.5 and 26 are the top two ... hmm ... Makes you wonder how good a 26.75 wheel would be. Best of both worlds, you know. I hope someone gets on that quick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I want to try a "Killer B"...it may be great...we won't know until we try it. Love my 29er...but again, you don't know what you are missing until you try it. I think having the different sizes is great; it has re-invigorated the MTB industry and makes things exciting again. Also realize that the shoot-out was on FS...this has always been the bain of 29er-dom..and maybe 650b really is the better way to go for longer travel FS.

I would defiantely love to try a 650 FS bike,hell if I could squeeze a 650 ont he front of my Top Fuel I'd do it. 650 FS is where I think this wheel size could shine. But I'm not selling my 29er anytime soon. Definately cool to have different wheels sizes, just like the camber vs rocker debate in snowboarding....then the combo rocker boards came along
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast