davidcarson48

Maxxis Ignitor EXO 29x2.1 Reviews?

Anyone have any experience with the Ignitor EXO 29 x 2.1? How does the rubber compound compare to the regular Ignitor? Do they have a noticeably thicker sidewall? Do they mount up to Flows as well as the regular Ignitors?

Any input would be appreciated. I'm in the Northeast, so mud, rocks, and roots are the norm here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48
    Anyone have any experience with the Ignitor EXO 29 x 2.1? How does the rubber compound compare to the regular Ignitor? Do they have a noticeably thicker sidewall? Do they mount up to Flows as well as the regular Ignitors?

Any input would be appreciated. I'm in the Northeast, so mud, rocks, and roots are the norm here.
    I mounted one up front a few week back, not much ride time so I can't give you any performance details. I can say my old PSI setting of 30 was too much, had to drop about 26-27 to get some traction. Sidewalls are a lot thicker / stiffer. I've not measured but the tire looks more narrow than my old tire... maybe it will stretch?

I'm running the tire on a set of American Classic 2010 MTBs... like my flows/ arches the AM rims with Ignitors are normally a snap to setup tubeless. But the new EXO are a real biitch! I've always been able to pop the bead on using a floor pump... even if the tire is brand new. After about an hour and many attempts I gave up on using the floor pump on the EXO combo and pulled out my big guns! Even with my aircompresser it was still a biitch.... took 3 (50 gal tanks) of air and lots of soap and water.

Like the old version, there are lots pin holes in the sidewall. Nothing stands wont fix but it's not a tubeless tire and definitely requires some kind of sealant.

davidcarson48
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping they were wider, not narrower, if anything. I have been very happy with the Captain Controls and Bonty 29-3 as all-purpose trail tire, but was looking to drop a little weight. Maybe the weight advantage of the Ignitors goes away after all the Stan's need to seal up the sidewalls?!?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping they were wider, not narrower, if anything. I have been very happy with the Captain Controls and Bonty 29-3 as all-purpose trail tire, but was looking to drop a little weight. Maybe the weight advantage of the Ignitors goes away after all the Stan's need to seal up the sidewalls?!?
    I had great luck with the Ignitor and we have sharp rocks... lots of sharp square edge rock. Not may light weight tires survive here: maybe a month on the Bonty (seems to fail in the treed first). Captain's, the sidewall might last a week if your careful.

Come to think of it, I don't even know why I bought the EXO: seems like I paid about $15 extra vs. the old version. Must have been feeling weak when I stopped by the LBS and let that good looking dark headed girl up-sale me:

Trail Junkie
    I just past over 300mi. on them this morning. I still feel its a bit early to give a full review, but I can honor the question based on the experience I have had thus far.
    I have the 29 2.2 EXO, I use Stan's Sealant, and run them at 24psi. I am 5'9'' 174lb. They are mounted on Roval Control EL 29 on my Tallboy

They are phenomenal! I have road SB8s and Stan's Raven 2.2, and these blow both of them away...well the Stan's may be very very little faster, but more sketchy. They grip on everything except for very loose sugar sand, but what does? I feel the EXO version is well worth the weight penalty, you will get a lot more miles out of your tires with it because it supports the tire's structure a lot better. I had no problems mounting and getting a seal on the tires, but I do use Stan's, and I also glue the tires to the rim to resist burping. I run Ikons both on front and rear. If you are looking at a race tire/general use tire, I would really recommend the IKON EXO.

I just recently was able to get experience on a good variety of conditions (I live in S. FL. so no experience w/ winter) It has been extremely dry and getting dryer, and lots of dirt was turing to sugar sand. The tired held pretty well and maintained predictability except in spots where it was 6" deep of sugar sand ruts. The past week we have gotten quite a bit of rain which helped the trail situation for the race this weekend. The tires maintained predictability, and shedded mud beautifully. The only time I really practiced caution was the on spots where its the black greasy mud that is literally like grease...They even hooked up well on roots and rocks, and maintained predictability. When the trail conditions were absolutely primo, I was running 25psi and it worked well...as the conditions got worse, I dropped it to 22-23 and I was getting some sidewall flex but no rim hits, so 24 has been the magic number for me in the last week.

Overall, in 300mi with 16 days of riding I am convinced that for the class of tire, there isn't much out there that is better. Racing Ralphs are $10-15 more, and don't last quite as long. SB8s are not very durable. If you use Ravens for general trail riding, expect only 6mo. out of them depending how much you ride. I have no experience with Spec Fast Trax or Bonty tires. Another tire that is new to the market and classed the same is the Continental X-King, but I have no experience with those either.

I would not compare them to the Ignitor which I feel is a front tire only. It is nowhere near as fast. Also the Ignitor 2.1 is offered in EXO if you are interested.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Anyone have any experience with the Ignitor EXO 29 x 2.1? How does the rubber compound compare to the regular Ignitor? Do they have a noticeably thicker sidewall?
    The Ignitor 29x2.1 EXO is made using the same mold as the regular Ignitor, so the tread and casing dimensions are exactly the same. The casing may "swell" a little bit less due to the sidewall reinforcement, but it should be a minuscule difference. The tread also uses the same compound as the regular Ignitor.

The casing on the Exo version is 120 tpi, compared to 60 tpi on the regular. This means that despite the addition of about 50g of sidewall reinforcement, the two tires weigh nearly the same. The Exo version is much tougher at the sidewalls, however. (It's almost like a "ply-and-a-half")

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Ignitor.aspx
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    I just past over 300mi. on them this morning. I still feel its a bit early to give a full review, but I can honor the question based on the experience I have had thus far.
    I have the 29 2.2 EXO, I use Stan's Sealant, and run them at 24psi. I am 5'9'' 174lb. They are mounted on Roval Control EL 29 on my Tallboy

They are phenomenal! I have road SB8s and Stan's Raven 2.2, and these blow both of them away...well the Stan's may be very very little faster, but more sketchy. They grip on everything except for very loose sugar sand, but what does? I feel the EXO version is well worth the weight penalty, you will get a lot more miles out of your tires with it because it supports the tire's structure a lot better. I had no problems mounting and getting a seal on the tires, but I do use Stan's, and I also glue the tires to the rim to resist burping. I run Ikons both on front and rear. If you are looking at a race tire/general use tire, I would really recommend the IKON EXO.

I just recently was able to get experience on a good variety of conditions (I live in S. FL. so no experience w/ winter) It has been extremely dry and getting dryer, and lots of dirt was turing to sugar sand. The tired held pretty well and maintained predictability except in spots where it was 6" deep of sugar sand ruts. The past week we have gotten quite a bit of rain which helped the trail situation for the race this weekend. The tires maintained predictability, and shedded mud beautifully. The only time I really practiced caution was the on spots where its the black greasy mud that is literally like grease...They even hooked up well on roots and rocks, and maintained predictability. When the trail conditions were absolutely primo, I was running 25psi and it worked well...as the conditions got worse, I dropped it to 22-23 and I was getting some sidewall flex but no rim hits, so 24 has been the magic number for me in the last week.

Overall, in 300mi with 16 days of riding I am convinced that for the class of tire, there isn't much out there that is better. Racing Ralphs are $10-15 more, and don't last quite as long. SB8s are not very durable. If you use Ravens for general trail riding, expect only 6mo. out of them depending how much you ride. I have no experience with Spec Fast Trax or Bonty tires. Another tire that is new to the market and classed the same is the Continental X-King, but I have no experience with those either.

I would not compare them to the Ignitor which I feel is a front tire only. It is nowhere near as fast. Also the Ignitor 2.1 is offered in EXO if you are interested.
    That's a good review, but the question was about the Ignitor, not the IKON.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

davidcarson48
    @dub: With the amount of mud around here, I think the Ignitor is a better choice for me than the Ikon, but thanks for the input.

@bholwell: I've never actually seen/used an Ignitor...do they measure up to be a true 2.1 in width?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just measured, the widest point on both old version and new EXO.

Old version = 2.155
    New EXO = 2.090

davidcarson48
    I guess that's close enough for me...I wish they were a 2.2 and I would have ordered them already. They still seem like a solid choice however.

eBikeStop.com has them for $41.45 right now. Anyone find a lower price?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I guess that's close enough for me...I wish they were a 2.2 and I would have ordered them already. They still seem like a solid choice however.

eBikeStop.com has them for $41.45 right now. Anyone find a lower price?
    why not try an ardent?

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by ebineezer
    why not try an ardent?
    The 2.4 is too wide for me. The 2.25 doesn't have the EXO and is 745g. I'd rather do a TLR tire like the Captains at that weight.

mtbr member

Also look into the Ikon EXO and the Ardent 2.2.

Both mount fine as tubeless. The Arden 2.2 is pretty tough.

davidcarson48
    Yeah, I am reading more and more about the Ikon EXO. Looks like a good all-purpose with more volume. May be exactly what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Any more info on the Ignitor 29 EXO?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Any more info on the Ignitor 29 EXO?
    They seem to grip, roll, and ride just like the older version... just doing it with a little less air pressure. Not sure of the PSI, just had a hand pump with me this weekend. Started with 30 and worked my way down until they started to squirm then added a couple pumps. They do seem much harsher at thirty then the old version @ 40... Rolled about 25 miles of the most technical trails in the state, lots of rocks, ledges, water,... grip was very good wet and dry... not Nevegal good but never the less good. Roll resistance seems a little more: I suppose due to lower pressure. Not one burp or even close to bottoming the tire on rim. Can't say that for others on the ride... must have been 20 flats around me on the same trails. Tread piercing, sidewall cuts, and pinch flats. Lots of folks running 40 PSI in hopes of avoiding flats: it did not work.

I've had good luck with the older Ignitor version on these same trails @ 30 PSI, so I'm not sure if I gained anything by going EXO and dropping a few PSI... I guess time will tell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    They seem to grip, roll, and ride just like the older version... just doing it with a little less air pressure. Not sure of the PSI, just had a hand pump with me this weekend. Started with 30 and worked my way down until they started to squirm then added a couple pumps. They do seem much harsher at thirty then the old version @ 40... Rolled about 25 miles of the most technical trails in the state, lots of rocks, ledges, water,... grip was very good wet and dry... not Nevegal good but never the less good. Roll resistance seems a little more: I suppose due to lower pressure. Not one burp or even close to bottoming the tire on rim. Can't say that for others on the ride... must have been 20 flats around me on the same trails. Tread piercing, sidewall cuts, and pinch flats. Lots of folks running 40 PSI in hopes of avoiding flats: it did not work.

I've had good luck with the older Ignitor version on these same trails @ 30 PSI, so I'm not sure if I gained anything by going EXO and dropping a few PSI... I guess time will tell.
    How would you compare the Ignitor EXO to the Arden 2.2 in terms of grip and rolling resistance?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    How would you compare the Ignitor EXO to the Arden 2.2 in terms of grip and rolling resistance?
    Much better grip in all conditions, slower than Ignitor, almost double the volume over the Ignitor, but you pay to play as the tire is heavy!!!! Sidewalls are thin and will not last here, cuts way to easy so I gave up on the Ardent after 4 tires in 3 months.

Never tried the Ardent in a 2.4 x 29... but I'm running a set of 2.4s on a 26" downhill bike and love the tires. There is absolutely no comparison in the 2.2 and 2.4 Ardent in a 26" tire... totally different animals. Maybe someone will comment on the 2.4 x 29?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1

Maybe someone will comment on the 2.4 x 29?
    I tried the 2.4, and didn't really like it. It was too big and aggressive for me!
    I was running it in the mid to high teens PSI, and it was like a giant rubber mallet. A rubber mallet that would really bite into the terrain.
    I went down to the 2.25 x 29 and am much happier with it. It's like a lighter version of a Nevegal.
    I'm a smaller rider so that might factor into the equation too.