mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Mavic C29ssmax or Easton XC One 29 Wheels for Jamis Dragon 29er Build?

Polling the experts! With my very limited knowledge, I think I've got it narrowed down to either the Mavic C29ssmax or the Easton XC One 29er Wheels. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

transmitter~receiver
    neither!
    get a custom built wheelset that's stronger, stiffer, lighter, and more serviceable for less money.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    neither!
    get a custom built wheelset that's stronger, stiffer, lighter, and more serviceable for less money.

This x infinity .

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    meltingfeather, can you recommend a custom built wheelset? Thanks for the reply. Sorry about all the rookie-ness but I'm learning a ton!

mtbr member
    Hope Pro 2, Stan's rims, DT Swiss Comps, should be sub 600 easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    neither!
    Totally agree.

I just busted a front c29ssmax wheel....it'll cost me $250 to repair (have to send it back to Mavic) and this is still using my good hub. It'll be $100 more to replace it with a brand new one..minus whatever discounts I can find. Not dissing the wheel...it's a great wheel...I just crashed a bit harder than I should have. The maintenance is the sole reason I would never get them again.

Get some basic/custom wheels with j-bend spokes.

mtbr member
    neither

just got a set of stans crest rims with stans ztr hubs.

they weigh 1562 without skewers and were under 500.00

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. Any particular online site to buy from?

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by eubank3
    Thanks for all the replies. Any particular online site to buy from?
    Mike Curiak - aka mikesee

www.lacemine29.com

FYI - nothing wrong with either wheelset you mentioned, however, you can get a wheelset from Mike, tailored for you, handbuilt for the same (or less) price.

I've got a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbones and Easton road wheels - both are very solid wheelsets.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog
    neither

just got a set of stans crest rims with stans ztr hubs.

they weigh 1562 without skewers and were under 500.00
    completely agree...with one caveat: depends on what you weigh.

mtbr member
    Go for Stan's Notubes and you can run a wider variety of tires tubeless and get a lighter wheel set. My Crest ZTR 29ers came in at 1530 gms with black spokes and red nipples with 2.0/1.7 spokes.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yep, go custom. I also recommend Stan's rims with DT comp spokes, with your choice of quality hub. It does depend on your weight and riding style. I have King hubs, DT Swiss Comp spokes(32), Stan's Arch rims. I'm 160 and this is a nice, light, stiff and strong wheelset.

Its got what plants crave
    Do you want to run UST tires?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    Go for Stan's Notubes and you can run a wider variety of tires tubeless and get a lighter wheel set. My Crest ZTR 29ers came in at 1530 gms with black spokes and red nipples with 2.0/1.7 spokes.

Are you running the Crest ZTR's UST with the extra Stans rim strip thingy in it or with tubes only?

Thanks

Matt
    I should be out riding....

At Work
    With stan's rims you only run the yellow tape and the valve. No need formthe rim strip
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    Are you running the Crest ZTR's UST with the extra Stans rim strip thingy in it or with tubes only?

Thanks

Matt
    I'm running them tubeless with tape and sealant only. I think mine weighed either 1530 or 1560 grams also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I rode my 26" XC1 for a few years in a wide variety of terrenes without any problem, never had to fix them and the set was as good as my 26" Stun's.
    So I bought 29" XC1 that is very good as much as my 29" Stun's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mavic C29ssmax or Easton XC One 29 Wheels for Jamis Dragon 29er Build?-04072009249-large-.jpg  

Mavic C29ssmax or Easton XC One 29 Wheels for Jamis Dragon 29er Build?-p1010003a-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have the Easton 29 SS XC1 wheelset, and I think they suck. I have only had them a year, and already the rear hub is losing engagement constantly. The hubs have been engineered for hand tightening, which needs to be done every ride. Trust me......go with a custom set. I will be ditching these next season for some CK hubs and Stans rims!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I can't speak from my own personal experience with the XC1s or Mavics, but I do know the value of a standard spoke.
    My racing buddy was literally having spokes FALL out of the hub on his XC 2s....even after a tech had checked them all over before a race. The real problem was we could not find a straight pull spoke in that gauge and length at any of the shops in town...and this was in Albuquerque NM where there is probably at least 10 good shops (a couple that are quite big). Fortunately the tech at REI had a longer one that he cut and thread for us.

This may be a freak thing, but another racing buddy could only find the spoke for his Crossmax's at one shop in Albuquerque and none in Santa Fe.

My Crests run standard DT Swiss J-bend spokes, haven't broken a spoke yet, but I won't have a problem finding a replacement when I do need one.

just another thing to consider.