mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mavic A319 rim experience?

Hi,

I've seen that some people use A719 rims with their 29" MTBs. Does anyone have any experience with Mavic A319 rims. They are a bit cheaper and lighter than the 719s. I'd be looking to use them with disk brakes.

Rob
    Last edited by English Bob; 05-05-2004 at 11:53 AM. Reason: corrected a grammer mistake

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bounce!

Hi,
    I posted this a long time ago and I was wondering if anybody had anything to and about this rim since then...

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by English Bob
    Hi,
    I posted this a long time ago and I was wondering if anybody had anything to and about this rim since then...
    do you mean A317? I'm not familiar with a 29er version called A319.

The A317 is a disc only 29er rim, just out this year.

FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Giant spec'ed the 319s with LX disc hubs on their OCR touring model. My buddy picked one up and upgraded the wheels to Speedcities. I bought the 319s for a hundred bucks to have as a spare set for my geared Buzz Bomb because they look pretty stout. They look like the same wheelset you posted a pic of, Nate, except with a machined sidewall...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    They look like the same wheelset you posted a pic of, Nate, except with a machined sidewall...
    Maybe it's the same rim, just with machined sidewall or not...

the

are close numerically...could be the '19 just picks up the disc-only feature...
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Because of the browser here at work I can't view the Mavic site very well. I don't know how different the weights are. What's your experience with the 317s been, Nate?
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Maybe it's the same rim, just with machined sidewall or not...

the
    are close numerically...could be the '19 just picks up the disc-only feature...
    I believe the A317 and A319 are different rims, with the A317 being the 700c equivalent of the 26" XC717, which is disc only with an angled sidewall. The A319 is a rim-brake rim that is a step down from the A719, heavier at 597 vs 565 gm, and less expensive. The A319 is the 700c equivalant to the 26" XM 317, while the A719 is the 700c equivalant to the 26" XM 719 (I do not understand their numbering system either).

I have over 1,000 miles on my A719 in the rear and have been really happy with it - only a little out of true once, inspite of my occational bumbled landings and not pulling up enough when speeding over objects. It is laced to a Rohloff disc hub (very high symetrical flanges)which strengthens the build, and has an expert build by Gravy Wheels.

I have not heard feed back about the A319, but there are alot of people happy with their A719s on this board. Personnally I would dole out the extra dough for the A719. If it is only a question of money, Quality Wheel House builds the A719 or A317 with XT hubs and they sell for $120-140 a wheel through many online retailers (and they offer the A319 w/LX hubs for under $100) I do not know about the quality of the build though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

with all other things being equal...

Thanks for all the feedback, things have progressed after a year!

I currently have Fir232 rims laced onto 36 spoke deore hubs. I'm wondering if I got deore hubs on A319 with 32 spokes whether they would 'roll' lighter with the same tyres (Bontraeger).

Any thoughts?
    Do 4 spokes really make a difference to rotational momentum?

(I bet Clokki responds within 30 minutes of me posting this!)

I can't believe the weight difference of 4 spokes makes that big a difference, I'd expect the weight of the tyre, tube and rim to be more important as they are further away from the center of rotation.

The A319 looks similar to the F519 I have. I also have XC717 wheels and they are both good rims. I think the A319/F519 may make the tyre more 'plump' than XC717 or A717. (my 2 cents worth)

For the rest, I'm just counting down the days until my Inbred 29 frame arrives!

Rob

Recovering couch patato
    >(I bet Clokki responds within 30 minutes of me posting this!)
    Get my name right first!

BTW, not worth a special thread : I just installed broadband, so I whoop all yo's asses in a wink now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'll call you whatever I damm well like! Op dit afstand kun je me toch niet raken!

We'll done, welcome to 2005, the rest of us in the Netherlands has be waiting!

I looked at the Mavic website and the A317 is not listed. Just the A319 and A719.

Perhaps the A317 is a USA only release?

The quoted weight for the A319 is 40gram lighter than the A719. For the flexibility the A719 seems a reasonable choice. I started with disk only on by Surly 1x1 and am now happier with V brakes. Lighter and not really that much worse for riding here.

If I was in the alps it might be different.

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by English Bob
    I looked at the Mavic website and the A317 is not listed. Just the A319 and A719.

Perhaps the A317 is a USA only release?

Rob
    A French company with a US only release. That would just be silly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

maybe, maybe not

considering 99% of the market for 29" wheels is in the US.

JJT
    mtbr member
    A317 is not on the Mavic site, and most of the time not available from the Dutch Distributor. You can get the rims from brands who spec them as OEM rims.

If you like I can get you some silver 36 holers.

The difference between the A319 and A719 is that the last one is welded and the 319 is ...
    (don't know the english word, dutch is ''gestoken'), so with pins in the connecting area.

I'm not sure but I guess they have both machined sidewalls.

Rob, bring your OnOne 29-er October 30th to Dorst

JJ
    Singlespeed Central - European SS and 29" webshop

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thanks for the kind offer JJ

I think I'm going to start of with my 36h FIR 232 on deore hubs, but thanks for the offer.
    Maybe later I'll switch to disc brakes but I want to see what the weight is like. I've gone back to V brakes on my Surly 1x1 and it is definitly lighter and the performance isn't that much worse.

[Off topic]

Single speed championships, what fun, but you assume I won't put gears on it!! And it's only a 18" frame, you'll never fit on it!!! Maybe I'll loan it to Ben and he can try and win his title back!

Don't worry, it'll be single speed until after the winter, I may use it when the Cross Country season starts again next year.

I put my Bontrager tyres on the rim and stood them next to my race bike, they're f***ing huge man! Can't wait to ride Bergschenhoek.

I'll catch you on Dirty Pages!
    [/Off topic]

Regards,
    Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Bob,

Am I right? You got ourself a 29er. Your 29-er On One will be at least the third person riding 29er in our group. For dutch standards this 2% of all is really a lot. I am looking forward to seeing your bike soon. Just got back from the Mergelheuvelland Tweedaagse. On this tour I saw only one 29-er and one singlespeeder, it was my bike. With around 3 thousand riders, that's not a lot. Next year there have to be more.