Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Masi Soulville Monstercross/commuter

So yeah, I'm definitely not following the rules with this one. But I need to know what I may be missing. I'm no expert on geometry etc.

I have an opportunity to buy a new Masi Soulville 10 or 7 dirt cheap. Like cheaper than I can buy the Sram Rival Group anywhere new. Granted it is not a full group as it doesn't have the rival shifter and brakes. But I would be putting a Salsa Fargo style drop bar on it, changing the levers/shifters to rival, and putting some avid shorty's while still staying low on the price.

I have a dedicated road bike, 2 mtn bikes, and this would be the bike to pull the kid in the trailer, commute to work (4 miles one way) get some groceries, and have fun. Bust through a field and cut through a park or up the gully by my house instead of always sticking to the roads.

There has got to be clearance for a 1.9 on that bike without the fenders, the steel rides awesome, and when I went to have the wife try one out I fell in love with it.

So tell me what are the cons of the geo, bottom bracket height, steer tube angle? It's gonna be ugly as hell and dead sexy at the same time. I don't care what it weighs, I won't race anyone but the occasional overweight Lance Armstrong wanna be with his full kit and 8k carbon bike. And even then, I will just sprint past on the uphill purely for the shock factor. Feedback? Weight weenies on 8k carbon bikes need not reply. I don't really care what you say unless you really just like bikes like I do. Let the bashing begin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I know, replying to my own thread, but just thought I would throw out my only other alternative at this point. Van Dessel WTF built up in a similar fashion, but obviously with disc brakes. It will cost me an extra 1k almost though, so will have to wait.

(was) Big in Japan

Was there...

... a question in there somewhere?
    Ride.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    ... a question in there somewhere?

i think he was just talking to himself... no question.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    i think he was just talking to himself... no question.

I do that a lot. Probably becasue nobody else will listen.

Axles of Evil

Here you go:

The 7 will only take caliper style brakes. Unless you plan on running it as a fixed gear 'cross machine, calipers just don't allow very good mud clearance. The 10 does have canti mounts on frame and fork, allowing cantilever or v brakes. This would be the way to go, in my opinion.
    There are a few things going on here geometry-wise. The wheelbase is quite long. The chainstays are also long, both compared to a "typical" 'cross bike. The head tube is really slack for a 'cross bike. Basically, a bit slow/sluggish in the turning/handling department. Also, the top tubes are fairly short. But, this is a cruiser frame, not a 'cross frame. Who cares? If you were building a US Nationals level bike, we wouldn't be posting about this here.
    The SoulVille frames are cool looking. If it's a good enough deal, go for it. It will def be a unique bike. I built one last year with a SoulVille SS frame. It was fixed gear with a front disc brake (different fork). No pics, sorry. Already sold and gone.

Just some observations.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC29er
    So yeah, I'm definitely not following the rules with this one. But I need to know what I may be missing. I'm no expert on geometry etc.

I have an opportunity to buy a new Masi Soulville 10 or 7 dirt cheap. Like cheaper than I can buy the Sram Rival Group anywhere new. Granted it is not a full group as it doesn't have the rival shifter and brakes. But I would be putting a Salsa Fargo style drop bar on it, changing the levers/shifters to rival, and putting some avid shorty's while still staying low on the price.

I have a dedicated road bike, 2 mtn bikes, and this would be the bike to pull the kid in the trailer, commute to work (4 miles one way) get some groceries, and have fun. Bust through a field and cut through a park or up the gully by my house instead of always sticking to the roads.

There has got to be clearance for a 1.9 on that bike without the fenders, the steel rides awesome, and when I went to have the wife try one out I fell in love with it.

So tell me what are the cons of the geo, bottom bracket height, steer tube angle? It's gonna be ugly as hell and dead sexy at the same time. I don't care what it weighs, I won't race anyone but the occasional overweight Lance Armstrong wanna be with his full kit and 8k carbon bike. And even then, I will just sprint past on the uphill purely for the shock factor. Feedback? Weight weenies on 8k carbon bikes need not reply. I don't really care what you say unless you really just like bikes like I do. Let the bashing begin.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    if the price is low enough to make it worth buying the Rival shifters (which are a bit pricey, like all integrated shift/brake levers) it should be a cool bike. The short top tube will work well with drop bars.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Have you seen Volume's Generator? not in production..yet
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

You know my steez...
    Hey SLC29er
    Did you build your Soulville?
    I want to see it!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SLC29er
    I know, replying to my own thread, but just thought I would throw out my only other alternative at this point. Van Dessel WTF built up in a similar fashion, but obviously with disc brakes. It will cost me an extra 1k almost though, so will have to wait.
    lol..I dont know how I missed this thread, it's likely a dead thread but anyhow..would you believe that I have both these bikes!

The WTF to me is a great bike and will do the job, There is a W.T.F thread here somewhere and I posted a pic of my bike built up as a monster crosser of sorts with drop bars, etc.

I have a Soulville 7, with the SRAM i7 IGH, and coaster brake, the deal with the shifter for that is that it's a grip shifter and to engage the next gear you sort of have to stop pedaling for a sec or two while the gear engages and truth be told can be a nuisance as it breaks your cadence. I have another bike with an alfine for comparison and for rough and tumble rides I dont think the SRAM i7 is the right tool, if you are taking things easy and cruising about town soaking up the sun then it's not a big deal. If the soulville you are looking at is the one with the Shimano Nexus 7 then I cant speak to that, it also have the roller rear brake which I have no experience with.

The soulville 10 I know comes with v-brakes front and rear and I suppose with either bike if you are planning on putting on a different fork you will have the welcome available option of front disk brakes. Of the two (Soulville 7 and 10), this is the one I think will allow you the most options, v-brakes are still great brakes IMO. I have an old bike with them and they are still awesome for stopping power, feel and modulation.

The soulville in the 20" and below to me have a minor toe overlap as it has a compact HTT length. I have a 20" Soulville and I picked it because "it felt okay" on the test ride but in retrospect think sort of wish I had gone with the 22" as my seat height to handlebar height doesnt exactly allow me sit up and beg but otherwise it really is a pretty cool bike that for me is my summertime cruiser. I do enjoy that coaster brake.

Anyhow, if you did take the plunge and build it up be sure to post a pic.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh
    I have a Soulville 7....
    Post a picture

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I never did end up going for it. I just decided I couldn't get over 2 things. 1 I wanted disc brakes so I could swap wheelsets with other bikes. 2 I was still just worried I wouldn't like the geometry with the verrrry long chainstays. So I gave up on the soulville. I probably should have bought it just to re-sell. But oh well.

I stop want a drop bar 29er. Just don't know what. I built this instead for now...
    IMG_1073.JPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    my Soulville SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Replacement bike...

Sorry, couldn't get the pick to post from my phone. Here it is... (I hope)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Your Soulville is sweet Saddle Up. I should have bought the one I had a chance to buy. Instead of the one that I can't get pics to upload for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

One last try on the replacement bike pic

Here we go. Had to shrink it down a ton...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Masi Soulville Monstercross/commuter-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll trade you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Don't get me wrong I love the bike. But it's 20 degrees outside on a good day right now. This thing just sits around taunting me. This thing was 8 months worth of eBay trolling finally completed when I got the wheelset for Christmas. I could have bought both those soulvilles for the price of the wheelset on this one. Now I'll need to sell my jabberwocky to pay for it!

You know my steez...

Nice bikes!

@ Saddle Up,
    I found your bike while searching around for Soulvilles on Flicker. It was already in my "favorites" long before you posted here! I love it

Mine in on the USP truck somewhere.... I couldn't find a Pea Soup version like yours but I scored a 2010 green version off ebay for $330 (+$85 shipping ) brand new. I canít wait to get it. I already have an Ibis Mojo and a Motobecane Outcast SS for "real" riding. I wanted a cruiser and the Soulville just LOOKS great!

@ SLC29er
    Your bike is sick! Itís completely different from a steel cruiser obviously but sweet nonetheless. Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up
    my Soulville SS

Very sweet, love the look of those FSA Metropolis bars in "low rider" style..I have those bars on my steamroller with some fat origin8 leather grips and really like em..

'BunnV', mine is in my storage unit but I'll take a pic later. Nothing special I changed the seat to a Brooks flight, have MKS Lambda pedals and a Thompson stem. Took off the flat fenders tho, just looked more stealth without em. Pics in a bit.

You know my steez...
    'BunnV', mine is in my storage unit but I'll take a pic later.
    Cool, I was wondering where all the Soulvilles are!

I keep tracking mine even though UPS wont update again til Monday

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    lol..I dont know how I missed this thread, it's likely a dead thread but anyhow..would you believe that I have both these bikes!

The WTF to me is a great bike and will do the job, There is a W.T.F thread here somewhere and I posted a pic of my bike built up as a monster crosser of sorts with drop bars, etc.

I have a Soulville 7, with the SRAM i7 IGH, and coaster brake, the deal with the shifter for that is that it's a grip shifter and to engage the next gear you sort of have to stop pedaling for a sec or two while the gear engages and truth be told can be a nuisance as it breaks your cadence. I have another bike with an alfine for comparison and for rough and tumble rides I dont think the SRAM i7 is the right tool, if you are taking things easy and cruising about town soaking up the sun then it's not a big deal. If the soulville you are looking at is the one with the Shimano Nexus 7 then I cant speak to that, it also have the roller rear brake which I have no experience with.

The soulville 10 I know comes with v-brakes front and rear and I suppose with either bike if you are planning on putting on a different fork you will have the welcome available option of front disk brakes. Of the two (Soulville 7 and 10), this is the one I think will allow you the most options, v-brakes are still great brakes IMO. I have an old bike with them and they are still awesome for stopping power, feel and modulation.

The soulville in the 20" and below to me have a minor toe overlap as it has a compact HTT length. I have a 20" Soulville and I picked it because "it felt okay" on the test ride but in retrospect think sort of wish I had gone with the 22" as my seat height to handlebar height doesnt exactly allow me sit up and beg but otherwise it really is a pretty cool bike that for me is my summertime cruiser. I do enjoy that coaster brake.

Anyhow, if you did take the plunge and build it up be sure to post a pic.
    Moozh, I actually have a 22" and sort of wish I had gotten a 20". PM me if you want to talk about a trade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    Post a picture

seatpost is my Miche Advanced, not appropriate for this style of bike but the only one I had on hand with any setback, when the season arrives I planned to find a more suited 'laidback' seatpost.

You know my steez...

Nice!

I love the color combo on yours.

This is becoming a "Post you Soulville!" thread!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prphoto
    Have you seen Volume's Generator? not in production..yet
    That's not monstercross, that's a trick-track bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast