mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Marzocchi Marathon SL "Bomber" 29er 2004 - worth it to rebuild for $120+?

I was "given" a used Marzocchi Marathon SL "Bomber" 29er 2004 front shock fork that is completely compressed and non-functional (*along with another expensive part that I bought). Is it worth it to rebuild these 9 year old forks for $120 or more? The only shop that I know of rebuilding these are "Suspension Experts" in North Carolina: Prices2.

If you do recommend servicing these, what would you recommend asking to shop for for a clyde (6'-4" / 220lbs)?

FYI - reviewed here: Marzocchi Marathon SL 2004 Front Shocks Reviews

Manual: Tenneco Marzocchi Suspension

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Air forks completely compress when you bleed all the air out, or it has leaked out over time. If you get nothing when you try to air it up then it also isn't functioning. Can you hear air leak past the piston or valve seals?

mtbr member
    ^^^What he said. Those forks have a positive and negative spring. The positive spring is the valve that's not concentric with the stanchion. The negative spring is concentric in the left leg (??? I think -- whichever one doesn't have the lockdown dial). DO NOT spent $120 to rebuild it. A) not worth it at that price period. B) definitely not worth it for someone your size.

Oh, you do need a special adapter to air up the fork.

I have a couple of these of some vintage ('02?) in my basement. If weren't such a lazy bastard and tried to sell I wouldn't expect to sell for as much as $120, so that's where the above comment about price not worth it came from.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd be a cool piece of history and great wall art but I don't think it's worth fixing for your dedicated trail bike. If you want to fix it and slap it on a bike that doesn't get much abuse, say a commuter, that'd be cool. But I wouldn't trust that fork keeping me on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys - I will likely buy a carbon On-One superlight 29er rigid fork with the $120 that I "saved".

Just Ride!
    Good choice! I sold an old Marzocchi to fund an On-One fork and feel it is better that the Niner fork I sold to buy a frame.

mtbr member
    Just to provide a counterpoint, I recently got one of these forks on a bike I bought. I love it - it's a little complicated to set up, what with the three different air springs, but once I got it dialed in, it's nice and plush, and quite light. I'd second the suggestion that you make sure you let the air out of *every* valve and see if the fork frees up.

Edit: I made some snarky comment about having the owners manual before I went back and noticed you'd already posted the link to the manual. Durrr, reading is Fundamental!