Thread: Marlin or Mamba

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Marlin or Mamba

I talked to my LBS where I bought my Marlin from and they said that I could trade it in ( I just bought it 2 weeks ago) and get they full value of it and trade it up for a Mamba. My question is is the Mambe worth the trade up or should I just keep my Marlin?

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideintpa
    I talked to my LBS where I bought my Marlin from and they said that I could trade it in ( I just bought it 2 weeks ago) and get they full value of it and trade it up for a Mamba. My question is is the Mambe worth the trade up or should I just keep my Marlin?
    Why do you want to upgrade? The Tora fork is a huge upgrade over the Suntour, but the rest of the components aren't much different. Personally, I would really try to get at least a Tora fork on any new bike, Reba is even nicer though.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just to get the better componets is all. Or would I be better off just buying a better fork?

ready to ride
    Not sure of the price difference betweeb the Marlin and the Mamba but to buy the Tora fork or other decent fork you are going to spend at least $300. Just checked the specs and the crank, derailleurs, and brakes are all better on the Mamba. If you are already thinking upgrade you will get a lot more bang for your buck buying it as part of the bike. If you want specific high end parts then you are still going to pay more. I would probably start with the Mamba or Cobia and then start upgrading certain parts as they wear. If I remember correctly they are all the same frame up to the Paragon so you definitely have a frame worth building on. That said I'd spend it up front, you will get more, just maybe not exactly what you want. Unless you are a gearhead and just like buying and replacing parts because you can...

deals with engineers...
    The cobia takes you to a 9-speed drivetrain, that might be easier to upgrade piece by piece later on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What are you going to do withe bike? When I was looking to replace the forks on a very old bike the Suntour had much better reviews than most Rock Shox. I put the Suntour XCRs on and they are very nice for trail riding nothing crazy. Now I just got new FELT trail 9 with Suntour XCR Forks and again ride is nice and no problems. Both have 100mm of travel and work well. So, back to the question what are you going to do with the bike

Fossil
    The Tora ain't what it used to be. It used to be an air shock - "solo air" - but now it's got a spring. It's never been a light fork, but now it just doesn't have as much going for it. If it were me looking to upgrade, I'd save my money a little longer and go to the Cobia.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I will be doing alot of trail riding and some road ridding.. I am kinda of a gear head but I dont want to waste time and money if I would have been better of buying the Mamba.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am thinking it might be cheaper for me in the long run to trade up to the Mamba now.

Fossil
    My vote is for one of two choices: (1) keep Marlin, upgrade parts as needed or as funds allow. Or (2) buy Cobia now.

I just wouldn't bother with the Mamba; I see nothing on the spec list that screams "spend another $280!". Keep in mind this pertains to 2011 models, and is def.ly just my $0.02. My neighbor went thru this whole thought process and ended up with a Cobia. No regrets.

No matter the outcome, enjoy the trails.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller
    The Tora ain't what it used to be. It used to be an air shock - "solo air" - but now it's got a spring. It's never been a light fork, but now it just doesn't have as much going for it. If it were me looking to upgrade, I'd save my money a little longer and go to the Cobia.
    That explains a lot. When I bought my Mamba (2009), it came with a Dart3 and the Cobia had a Tora with a $300 difference in price. The 2011 prices are almost the same and now the Mamba has the Tora. The 2011 frame looks different than mine. I like it.

OP

Strictly from a "how it feels" standpoint, you'll probably be OK with the Marlin if you stick to the kind of riding you mentioned. Light singletrack and road. I've been on the Mamba (with a Dart3 fork) for 2 years through thousands of miles of intermediate to expert singletrack and haven't thought of upgrading yet. Nothing has broken yet.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    That explains a lot. When I bought my Mamba (2009), it came with a Dart3 and the Cobia had a Tora with a $300 difference in price. The 2011 prices are almost the same and now the Mamba has the Tora. The 2011 frame looks different than mine. I like it.

OP

Strictly from a "how it feels" standpoint, you'll probably be OK with the Marlin if you stick to the kind of riding you mentioned. Light singletrack and road. I've been on the Mamba (with a Dart3 fork) for 2 years through thousands of miles of intermediate to expert singletrack and haven't thought of upgrading yet. Nothing has broken yet.
    The new Tora basically sounds like a Dart3 but with 32mm stanchions rather than 28mm stanchions.
    2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Rig
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK