mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Marin rift zone 29er opinions

Hey guys posted this in the Clydesdale section as we'll but was hoping for some general opinions on the bike, thought it may get more traffic here.

Hey guys need an opinion on a 2013 Marin rift zone 29er xc7. Been looking at making a move to fs for a while. I'm a florida rider, we don't have any crazy downhills but we have some drops and steep, short downhills. What we do have is lots of roots and logs. I'm basically an intermediate rider, can ride the black diamonds but stay off them due to lower back issues I don't want to fall off and end up out of work. I had myself convinced to get more of a trail bike with a more upright seating arrangement feels great on my back (really like the feel of the rip 9, but way out of my price range) I ran across a deal on the Marin at or around $1000 seems like too good of a deal to pass up. However I'm concerned because I've never ridden one. The closest bike with similar suspension design I've ridden is a giant trance, which seemed a little bouncy, granted the shock wasn't aired up for my weight. I am 6 ft 240-250lbs geared up just curious how this bike or suspension design does for a fellow my size and if I would be able to change the cockpit up enough to suit a more relaxed rider position.

Another thought I had was to flip the bike, take all the components off and stick them on a used niner frame which I've seen in the 600 dollar range on eBay, used to wrench in college so swap out won't be a problem. Not sure what to do here, Any opinions greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    We'll it was on eBay and I won the auction at the price I thought, seems like a fantastic deal. Here is the skinny new bike in box with warranty, mostly slx spec'd, xt rd, avid elixir 5s, fox rp23 out back, reba RL up front. This is my first fs bike so the obvious question is what now how do i set this sucker up for myself. Any help is much appreciated.