mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Marin Muirwoods 29er, Right bike for me?!?!

So I have been looking at "inexpensive" 29ers for a while now, and came across the Muirwoods on REI.com. I might go see if they have one to test ride at the seattle store soon. I'm 6'-0 185lb. I am wanting a rig that'll commute me 6 miles each way to work and back, AND take me on longer treks during the summer months of single track. I'm ok with a fully rigid bike, I kinda want that old school feel again (aka, jarred back bones and shoulders, gone are the days of the huffy ten speed treks )

Think it's worth the coin? And yes, i know, you get what you pay for!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    should do fine for what you want... but it is labled as a street bike... you might want to check out the redline d440... similar price but def made as a MTB... no front shifting stock but easy enough to take care of.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Former Bike Wrench
    The bike should do fine, but the gearing is more road orientated...might consider swapping out the crankset for something with a 22/32/44 gearset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd take a look at the GT Peace 9r Multi at Performance. I picked one up 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Its a helluva lotta bike for $599 (+ added discounts with coupons). It comes fully rigid with full Deore group. Now I'm not necessarily a fan of straight Deore, but its ridable until you can upgrade and beats the Alivio/Acera/SRAM X-4 and X-5 stuff you'll find on every other bike in that price range.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    good point on the GT... just make sure you get the right size... they have pretty long top tubes for the frame size as I recall... but ya great deal...

does it have rack mounts and such?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie