mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Manitou Tower / Drake vs. Reba ?

Currently running a Rockshox 2010 Reba 120 20mm Maxle. I have been eyeballing a Tower Expert / Drake because it uses a coil spring. I have always preferred the action of a coil vs. air. Anyone try both of these forks ? Thanks.

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Currently running a Rockshox 2010 Reba 120 20mm Maxle. I have been eyeballing a Tower Expert / Drake because it uses a coil spring. I have always preferred the action of a coil vs. air. Anyone try both of these forks ? Thanks.
    I have a 2010 reba u-turn maxle and a 100mm drake QR (I use a 9mm qr).

Even though I haven't been able to test them side by side and the drake is a good fork in its own right I still prefer the Reba, I don't see any particular advantage in the coil and the reba still got better small bump compliance. only advantage I see in the drake is mud clearance, definitely better than the reba.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have owned the Reba and just bought a Tower Pro. Wednesday will be my first ride on it. I'll let you know how it is.

mtbr member
    The Tower Pro is identical to the Minute 29 except for the stickers. I've compared the parts list for both. Every single component has the same part number. Likewise for the Tower Expert and Drake.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    I have a 2010 reba u-turn maxle and a 100mm drake QR (I use a 9mm qr).

Even though I haven't been able to test them side by side and the drake is a good fork in its own right I still prefer the Reba, I don't see any particular advantage in the coil and the reba still got better small bump compliance. only advantage I see in the drake is mud clearance, definitely better than the reba.

YMMV
    The Reba is ok until I ride steep agressive trails. It seems to ride deeper in its travel than any coil forks I have used.

MTB B'dos
    That's what that little knob/dial on the right leg is for, just dial it in to help combat dive, MC control unit works fantastic for just that.
    The Reba is ok until I ride steep aggressive trails. It seems to ride deeper in its travel than any coil forks I have used.

Trail Junkie
    Reba hands down..and if you want to go for the glory....Team/RLT Ti or XX.
    The are stellar forks, and found them to be trouble free and more quiet than all the RLCs I rode while sipping Fox juice. You really can't go wrong, and in the even that you finally have to rebuild the fork..the more reputable places like Push Ind. will make the fork as good or better than new. It will always be better than the lackluster performance of the Drake or the Tower unless you can find something with MRD. The Reba will give a better initial platform, but the travel "consumption" is about the same..unlike the Fox where I was only about utilize about 75% of the travel in 120 mode. The biggest problem that I found with the Manitou forks is that when they go, they really go...Rockshox and Fox performance degrades over time just like forks inevitably do..but not like the all-or-nothing performance of the Manitou..it either works or it doesnt.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    That's what that little knob/dial on the right leg is for, just dial it in to help combat dive, MC control unit works fantastic for just that.
    I didn't say anything about having issues w/ brake dive. Riding deeper in its travel has to do w/ the air spring.

awesome
    The Reba is ok until I ride steep agressive trails. It seems to ride deeper in its travel than any coil forks I have used.
    I haven't used any coil forks before the Drake, but steep aggressive trails are where the reba stands out against the drake. maybe the latter needs some more tuning but I don't have the time\will for that right now and I'll probably be changing it for something lighter in the near future.

mtbr member
    I have owned so far the Minute, Fox RL and Reba XX and riden Reba SL, Tora and Drake on loan from friends...

I would say choice is a question of taste, defintely Manitou seems better on the lower end, the Drake beats the Tora hands down, on the upper end Minute with ABS+ and Reba SL are virtually equal, with Fox RL just a notch above... the XX was definitely top dog in a class of its own around mid 2010 but right now it may get a run for its money from the new 2011 Fox w/ Fit... i really want to test the terralogic, a lot of people praise that fork.

MTB B'dos
    Oh sorry, then you want the little schrader valve at the bottom of the left leg Negative pressure affects small bump compliance, but also how far into the travel the fork rides. I never was one to follow Rainman and others thoughts of 10 PSI less for NEG pressure, I always liked it to be about 60-70% of postive, so it might give up a bit of small bump compliance, but didn't wallow into the travel.

I didn't say anything about having issues w/ brake dive. Riding deeper in its travel has to do w/ the air spring.

awesome
    I never was one to follow Rainman and others thoughts of 10 PSI less for NEG pressure
    yeah tried that for a couple of months but it didn't work as advertised for me either. ended up following RS recommended pressures from the fork sticker for much better results

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh sorry, then you want the little schrader valve at the bottom of the left leg Negative pressure affects small bump compliance, but also how far into the travel the fork rides. I never was one to follow Rainman and others thoughts of 10 PSI less for NEG pressure, I always liked it to be about 60-70% of postive, so it might give up a bit of small bump compliance, but didn't wallow into the travel.
    I run 145+ / 125 -. MoCo compression max / 2 clicks of FG from open. I have also added oil to the positive chamber to reduce the air volume - not my first time around the block w/ a Dual Air fork.

mtbr member
    if you are riding a 29er i would trade you

I <3 29ers
    Pike coil conversion.

I don't know if a 2010 model can be converted. Anyone know?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Pike coil conversion.

I don't know if a 2010 model can be converted. Anyone know?
    It can be done. Prior to having the Reba 29er I had a Pike 454 coil. I disassembled both forks and figured what needed to happen to make the conversion. Parts : U turn coil, spring perch base & U Turn knob. The U Turn coil would need to be shortened about 35mm from the bottom (don't have the exact spec's anymore) The spring rod would have to be shortened and the roll pin hole redrilled. Another option would be to find a fixed coil application from a Recon or ? to make the conversion.