mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Manitou Minute 29r, WB Magic 80, or wait on new Reba?

Any suggestions? I have a new Salsa El Mariachi (an 07 green model) that I really want to put a suspension fork on. I will be using this for some XC races (although I have a HT 26" bike that will get used more for that) and general trail riding in the midwest. I want to use an 80mm fork.

I had a K-monkey in the past with the current style Reba. It was a great fork, but it did flex a little when pushed hard. But, I loved the pop lock....

So should I try one of the Minute 29er forks or hold out for the 09 Reba? Other options I should look at? Perhaps a WB 80mm Magic or even pick up a current model Reba for cheap?

I'm heading to CO for some days of playing around soon and not sure I want to stick with the rigid fork for the excursion.

Expert Crasher
    I'd wait for the 09 Reba....

Where are you headed in CO?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yea.... I know I should just wait The urge to get something "NOW" is strong though

My wife and I are going out to visit some friends that live near Grand Junction. We went there last year for a few days, but just did road rides. This time we're bringing both and hope to get some decent MTB rides in as well. Too bad it will be a bit on the hot side for some of the lower elevation MTB riding.

Expert Crasher
    hit up the trails early in the morning, should be cooler. FWIW - I would offer that you could ride most of the 18rd trails rigid (Kessels, Prime Cut....Zippity might be iffy) and be ok. Rustler's Loop (Loma exit) is easily doable on a rigid as well.

I'll be riding in Cuchara in about two weeks, then a week in Colorado Springs. I'm taking my rigid Monocog Flight - just for the simplicity sake. All I have to worry about is keeping my tire pressure good and the chain clean. No shock pressure, no fork pressure, no pivots to keep dry if I come across a creek....it'll be liberating (until I get back to the rooty southeast ).

For me, the biggest challenge when I go ride in Colorado is not dieing from suffocation......
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    Yea.... I know I should just wait The urge to get something "NOW" is strong though

My wife and I are going out to visit some friends that live near Grand Junction. We went there last year for a few days, but just did road rides. This time we're bringing both and hope to get some decent MTB rides in as well. Too bad it will be a bit on the hot side for some of the lower elevation MTB riding.
    1) When are you going to be in GJ?
    2) How much steerer do you need?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions about trails. Maybe I'll just give a few of them a shot with the bike set up rigid and see how it goes. I will also be bringing along my Orbea Alma 26" bike that has gears and a sus fork So, it's not like I won't have other options.... I'm just being a baby and wanting to ride the new toy. Everyone knows how that goes!

We'll be there from the 18th to the 23rd. Not really sure what our plans are for breaking things up into road vs MTB rides.

I'd have to measure how much steerer I need. Not a ton though. I'm still settling in on how much to leave on this new bike. On my old K-monkey I ran no spacers under the stem.

Anyhow... thanks again for the suggestions.

jrm
    mtbr member

F29

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    Any suggestions? I have a new Salsa El Mariachi (an 07 green model) that I really want to put a suspension fork on. I will be using this for some XC races (although I have a HT 26" bike that will get used more for that) and general trail riding in the midwest. I want to use an 80mm fork.

I had a K-monkey in the past with the current style Reba. It was a great fork, but it did flex a little when pushed hard. But, I loved the pop lock....

So should I try one of the Minute 29er forks or hold out for the 09 Reba? Other options I should look at? Perhaps a WB 80mm Magic or even pick up a current model Reba for cheap?

I'm heading to CO for some days of playing around soon and not sure I want to stick with the rigid fork for the excursion.
    I had a reba on there but the 38mm offset made the bike handle badly because the bike is constructed around a rigid fork with a 44mm rake. The F29 @ 100mm lowers the front end in comparison to the reba. its also alot stiffer then the reba. Some Bad backyard pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sweet bike man! The blue and white shock looks like a match made in heaven

I've decided to hold off on getting a current Reba. I think I'll wait for the new ones or pony up the $$ and get a Fox. I'm really a fan of the pushlock though.... so I'll likely wait for the Reba.

Did you find that using the 100mm travel fork did anything weird with your steering? Just curious.... I'll prolly stick with an 80mm anyhow.

I'll give the El Mar a go rigid at least one of the days I'm out in CO. The Alma will see use the rest of the time. (Which isn't a bad thing! It climbs like a goat.)

Grams Light Bikes
    Go with the Fox F29 in 80 or 100. A sweet fork.

wrench
    New 09 Reba is 46mm offset... just to temp ya.

Matto

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto
    New 09 Reba is 46mm offset... just to temp ya.

Matto

Yea yea..... I'm gonna wait on the new ones Just the wait is gonna KILL me