mtbr member

Manitou Minute 29er pressure recommendations

Does Manitou offer an air-pressure chart for their Minute 29er fork? I'm setting up a two-year-old 120mm Minute 29er with Absolute+ damper on a Salsa Big Mama for my 150ish pound son. I'd like to be able to swag the air pressure pretty close before I start having him sit on the bike and measuring sag.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run mine pretty low at 165 lbs and use remote lockout a lot. 20 mm sag, forgot psi.

mtbr member
    I couldn't find anything online.

Try emailing them at manitoutech@hayesbicycle.com or giving them a call on 888-686-3472 (not sure what the code is in the US, but they are based in Mequon, WI 53092 if that helps).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Manitou offers 4 different spring rates for that fork. Best to contact them if you are not sure.

That being said, I believe 120psi is the max for that fork.

mtbr member
    I went with 80psi. That seems as low as I dare go, and it seems to perform ok. Hard to get a good sag reading because the front end is so high. My son's weight is biased too far back. That's partly from putting a 120mm fork on a frame designed for 100m, and partly because the only bar I had available was the riser bar from a Specialized P.1. We did some test riding, hit some bumps, Clicked the damper once to reduce brake dive, and I think we're good for now.

Flaccid Member
    50 to 60% of your weight is a good starting point for the 120mm version.

mtbr member
    Randy, thanks. That range is actually right where we ended up.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Does Manitou offer an air-pressure chart for their Minute 29er fork? I'm setting up a two-year-old 120mm Minute 29er with Absolute+ damper on a Salsa Big Mama for my 150ish pound son. I'd like to be able to swag the air pressure pretty close before I start having him sit on the bike and measuring sag.
    I have the little tag that came on my 2008 120mm since I just reinstalled it on a bike. It says 60% body weight for 80mm and 100mm forks and 50% body weight for 120mm forks.

I am learning that I need the heavy duty spring since I am around 220 lbs now and 110psi gives scary brake dive. I am up to about 175 psi to get it under control, but it rides a little rough.

Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive View Post
    Manitou offers 4 different spring rates for that fork. Best to contact them if you are not sure.

That being said, I believe 120psi is the max for that fork.
    Ok then. That means I really need to get the spring. Nothing on the tag or anything I can find states a max pressure, where did you find that?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    I am learning that I need the heavy duty spring since I am around 220 lbs now and 110psi gives scary brake dive.
    Did you turn the platform lever? My son's bike also has horrible dive in the full-open position. One click makes the bike rideable. Two clicks is a bit too much damping. 1 1/2 clicks would probably be perfect, which means I should probably change to a lighter-weight oil.

trail rat
    Did you turn the platform lever? My son's bike also has horrible dive in the full-open position. One click makes the bike rideable. Two clicks is a bit too much damping. 1 1/2 clicks would probably be perfect, which means I should probably change to a lighter-weight oil.
    I have the Milo lockout, so locked or full open is the only choice. I may go back to the regular manual adjustment knob and try it. I also might try to adjust the range on the Milo to see what I can do that way.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    I have the Milo lockout, so locked or full open is the only choice. I may go back to the regular manual adjustment knob and try it. I also might try to adjust the range on the Milo to see what I can do that way.
    We must have different model forks then, or at least different dampers (dampeners?). I'm not really familiar with Manitou's range. This particular fork I put on my son's bike was an eBay impulse buy that I kind of regret. But I have it now, so he'll use it.

trail rat
    We must have different model forks then, or at least different dampers (dampeners?). I'm not really familiar with Manitou's range. This particular fork I put on my son's bike was an eBay impulse buy that I kind of regret. But I have it now, so he'll use it.
    Mine is the 2008 Manitou Minute 29er 120mm. Came with the standard damper, then they did an upgrade to it and changed the valve needle, then the came out with the Absolute+ with the option of the remote MILO lockout, which is what I run now. Absolute+ can be run with manual damper knob or remote MILO handlebar control that is full lock or full open only.

edit - Long thread here with all the changes and info.
    2008 Manitou Minute 120mm 29'er Fork.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Mine is the 2008 Manitou Minute 29er 120mm. Came with the standard damper, then they did an upgrade to it and changed the valve needle, then the came out with the Absolute+ with the option of the remote MILO lockout, which is what I run now. Absolute+ can be run with manual damper knob or remote MILO handlebar control that is full lock or full open only.
    Ah, ok. I've no idea what year mine is. Could be 2008 though, because I bought it used in 2009. I have a seven-position Absolute+ damper on it. That's all I know, to be honest.

Thanks for the link to that longer thread. That looks useful.

JB
    Hmm, I have the 2010 w/ absolute+ damper and heavy spring. I'm around 205lbs running 50 psi, higher pressures make it harsher than it needs to be. No brake dive issues.