mtbr member
    May 2006

Manitou Minute 29 Super

I haven't ridden a Manitou fork in over 5 years and when I did it sucked - flexy, poor dampening and overall poor performance.

HOwever, I am wondering if things have changed and whether the Manitou Minute 29 Super fork is a worthwile purchase? Anyone with any experience with this fork care to comment on the rigidity and dampening and perfromance of this fork?

How would this fork compare to the Reba and Fox F29?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is without a doubt stiffer than the 15mm Fox and probably as stiff or a bit stiffer than the Reba Team. I have no idea about damping or small bump compliance or brake dive yet but I did pick one up.

mtbr member
    I found the 08 Manitou noticeabley stiffer than the 07 Reba. It also has better big hit ability, but less small bump compliance. Good fork, esp for the current price. I may by one just to have it sitting there.

Witty McWitterson
    I'm liking mine. I also got a Reba. The Manitou performs better IMO. Not really light years better, just better.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    I haven't ridden a Manitou fork in over 5 years and when I did it sucked - flexy, poor dampening and overall poor performance.

HOwever, I am wondering if things have changed and whether the Manitou Minute 29 Super fork is a worthwile purchase? Anyone with any experience with this fork care to comment on the rigidity and dampening and perfromance of this fork?

How would this fork compare to the Reba and Fox F29?

Cheers
    tons of threads on this forum devoted to this topic. after using the Search function, come back w/ any remaining questions.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Is it true you can NOT run 160mm rotor with the 20mm Minute? If so what size do you have to run?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    It is without a doubt stiffer than the 15mm Fox and probably as stiff or a bit stiffer than the Reba Team. I have no idea about damping or small bump compliance or brake dive yet but I did pick one up.
    Are you saying the Manitou is stiffer than the F29 15QR????

mtbr member
    Manitou forks are stiffer than there fox counter parts and in my opinion, they work better as well. However, I would stay away from anything with SPV and move to TPC or Absolute plus.

You can run 160mm rotors on Manitou forks no problem, the bolt directly on. For anything bigger you need an adapter that is included with most brakes when you buy them new or you can buy direct for $10.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Manitou forks are stiffer than there fox counter parts and in my opinion, they work better as well. However, I would stay away from anything with SPV and move to TPC or Absolute plus.

You can run 160mm rotors on Manitou forks no problem, the bolt directly on. For anything bigger you need an adapter that is included with most brakes when you buy them new or you can buy direct for $10.

This is not my experience, as noted in the reviews- I should revise it.
    Not all brake calipers clear the post mount for a 160mm rotor.

An IS mount 06 XTR caliper, for example, would not fit with adaptor. Had to spend 50 or so bucks for new rotor and adaptor for 180. Reallly ticked me off at the time, but oh well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I wanted to mention...

Many seem to be talking about the Manitou Minute 29er (because it's on sale at Jenson USA).

I thought I'd mention that the 09 Manitou has the same damper as the 08'. Translation: It isn't very good at all. They do have the "fix-it" kit available (which you must have sent to you), but the fork still doesn't seem to be anywhere as good as the Reba or Fox. Doesn't seem odd the "fix-it" kit isn't installed on the 09's when they knew there was a problem with the 08's?

I've read (on here) that Manitou has a new damper which makes the fork work the way it should. The new damper is $49.99. I thought some may want to know before they make a purchase.
    "I can only assume chan slap is what happens when you get assaulted by Jackie Chan. I don't think anybody can prevent that."

Rider and Wrench
    For the price the Manitou is a decent fork in both qr or TA but compared to the 09' Reba (especially team) or the Fox it does not offer as effective damping IMO In order of price and function-FOX then RS then Manitou. Possibly the Fix it or some other add on might help but then part of the whole low price thing is gone.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

MTBR Contributing Editor
    I have been running the Manitou Minute 29er (edit: they changed the Manitou Minute 29 Super name on their website, my 2009 catalog has the old name) on my Moots Mooto-XZ. I am using the 120mm version with the 20mm thru axle. It has been working just fine, and at least the newer model I have did not need the fix-it kit. My older Manitou Minute Elite Absolute for my 26er did require that kit. I am about to try the newer Absolute+ damper in my Manitou Minute Elite Absolute (now called the Minute Super to confuse yah!). The Manitou Minute 29er is very plush, and loves bashing through rocky terrain, I have not noticed any flex issues, and it is worlds better then the Fox F29 flex master fork legs. There is a hint of some fork dive on occasion, but otherwise a fine fork.

I did not have any issues with running a 160mm front brake, but I switched to 180mm anyway, since that works better for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manitou Minute 29 Super-dsc01587.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, zero doubt that the Manitou 20mm fork is easily stiffer than the Fox 15mm. The Reba Team 20mm is stiffer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by b00001
    Are you saying the Manitou is stiffer than the F29 15QR????