mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Lynskey Pro 29 vs Pivot Les 29

First post here guys so bare with me.

Getting back into MTB and ran across a killer deal on a Lynskey Pro 29 with sram 12 speed,fox performance 32 fork, fsa afterburner wheel set and Maxxis dhr ii 2.4Ē tires. Should have the bike first or second week of may. My real dilemma is I really like the Pivot Les frame and contemplating switching frame sets out. I would like to here from owners of both and here your thoughts on them.

Thanks
    Brandon
    Last edited by Brandon Cole; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Lynskey Pro 29 vs Pivot Les 29-401326a5-66ba-499e-baf3-dd4df50685c2.jpgLynskey Pro 29 vs Pivot Les 29-b5e57cfa-1549-4ee9-a76a-8eb30f6ad290.jpgLynskey Pro 29 vs Pivot Les 29-7ee6170b-190b-4d88-8167-2b642d2d17ae.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	401326A5-66BA-499E-BAF3-DD4DF50685C2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	1195171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5E57CFA-1549-4EE9-A76A-8EB30F6AD290.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	1195172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7EE6170B-190B-4D88-8167-2B642D2D17AE.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	1195173Just started to ride my 2018 Pro 29 yesterday. Has DI2 XT syncro shifting only. 26/36 - 11-40, DT Swiss XR 391 with DT Swiss 240s modded with 54 engagement. XT throughout and a 32 SC Factory, no remote. Nobby Nics 29 x 2.25. Just put 85 miles on her. I have owned just over two dozen bikes. This one is the most comfortable one yet. Because Lynskey will ship their bikes without cutting the steerer tube (Trek will not), I have the tube a bit higher than normal and Watson Cycle Revelation bar with 31 degree sweep. Add in the titanium and it is also the smoothest bike I have ridden. Frame is beautiful (talk about who welds look best is nonsense). Nice and stiff bit so comfortable and dropping into my power range and she takes off. Very responsive. My expectations were far exceeded on the bike is all area. Too tired for good pics, sorry. Better ones in a few days. Never ridden a Pivot but the Pro just makes me smile and and keeps me pedaling. Lastly, dealing with Lynskey was so much better than the big boys. I had conversations with a few great Folks during and after the build keeping me informed. I could only be happier if someone besides me paid for the bike. And at the price you are looking, seems a great deal. If you pull the trigger, at the very least, get the etched graphics without hesitation. Brushed finish is also worth the cost. Talk nice and you should get a deal on these very nice upgrades. Avoid the stick on graphics.and if you want to save a lot of weight, upgrade the Performance to Factory. Only reason to do it is for the weight savings.
    Last edited by Pedalon2018; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I currently own a Pivot Les 29 and have, in the past owned a Lynskey made Cover Hummber 650bj (I ran with 29" wheels). Both really nice bikes, although the Pivot weighs 20lbs and the Cover was 26. The Cove was nowhere near as stiff or even as comfortable as the Pivot, Chris Cochalis really did a stellar job in making sure the Les is compliant where it matters and stiff where it needs to be.

I used to have a problem with the Cove where the headtube seemed to flex unnecessarily, I am well over 200lbs though but it was very off-putting.

The Pivot can definitely rally too, it's a quick bike everywhere and with a dropper would be an excellent all-rounder.

Both lovely bikes though, I don't think you can really go wrong with either. Let me know if you have any questions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1195172
    Please get that bike off that 993's wing!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I know Iím splitting hairs with these two frames, but at the end of the day I want to be happy. Definitely plan to put some rides on the Lynskey before I would buy the pivot frame. Another question is am I missing anything that wouldnít swap over? Both have tapered head tubes and 12x148 thru axle.

Thanks

Cymru am byth!
    Can only speak for the Les. I absolutely love mine ! Can run it single speed (which I do most the time). Race it geared. Super light to the point people pick it up and typically say "wow that weighs what my road bike does". It doesn't really, weighs in at 19.6lbs according to my scale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Please get that bike off that 993's wing!!
    It may not look like it but the bike is not touching one of my babies. The bike is faster unless my wife is driving.

mtbr member
    It may not look like it but the bike is not touching one of my babies. The bike is faster unless my wife is driving.
    Phew! I get very protective of my Porsche baby, nobody touches it!

mtbr member
    Lynskey went back to the threaded BB in 2017, so that doesn't look like it will swap over to the Pivot Les carbon frame.

I have a 2014 Pro29 & it's PF30, which is good since I run it as a single speed. Please note that if you do run a Lynskey as a single speed (custom built with pf30), they don't sell a single speed specific dropout. I bought a spare and cut it down:

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

If you have it built with sliding dropouts then you'll have no problem.
    Last edited by tk1971; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    Lynskey went back to the threaded BB in 2017, so that doesn't look like it will swap over to the Pivot Les carbon frame.

I have a 2014 Pro29 & it's PF30, which is good since I run it as a single speed. Please note that if you do run a Lynskey as a single speed (custom built with pf30), they don't sell a single speed specific dropout. I bought a spare and cut it down:

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

If you have it built with sliding dropouts then you'll have no problem.
    With replacing the bottom bracket can I still use the same crank set?

mtbr member
    If you're going from Lynskey with an English threaded BB, just figure out what crankset is on the Lynskey and buy the matching Press Fit 92mm to XX bottom bracket.

XX likely is 24mm and if it is, then yes, you can move the crankset from the Lynksey to the Pivot LES 29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    My best guess is that you keep the Lynskey. Please keep us informed. Safe Travels!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    My best guess is that you keep the Lynskey. Please keep us informed. Safe Travels!
    I am expecting delivery of the Lynskey late this week or sometime the following. Really anticipating its arrival.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Cole View Post
    I am expecting delivery of the Lynskey late this week or sometime the following. Really anticipating its arrival.
    waiting for a new bike that you never have ridden is actually like a bit of drama. I was releaved and then extatic about how the bike rode. Always a risk when you spend thounds on an unknown product with just the research you are able to do. So enjoy when she comes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Cole View Post
    Still waiting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Wednesday the tires arrived at Lynskey. Alex tells me it will ship Monday. Really hoping Iím going to like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Did you get your new ride yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Big negative. Last Wednesday everything was ready to be assembled and would be done Friday or Monday. I called Monday afternoon and they havenít even started to build it. Really felt like they didnít need my business. Talked it over with my wife and canceled on Tuesday. Than all of a sudden they could have it assembled that day and ship it out. In the end I passed on it.

I put a Pivot 429 trail xt1 on layaway in the mean time until I receive my refund from Lynskey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I always understood that Lynskey makes titanium frames and lots of them. Thatís what I wanted from them in addition to a fair price on DI2 XT and all XT build. Received a frame that so exceeded my expectations and a decent price on the important components. I got what I paid for and then some but......I had them send the bike unassembled and with an uncut steerer tube. LBS did the final build. You will need to be peeled off the ceiling with the 429 based on what my Friends tell me, itís that good. It is your money and you can do whatever you want with it. You picked two great machines and cannot go wrong with either. Only downside is more waiting but if you were ever in the Military, nothing you have not done before. Enjoy your new ride. Safe Travels!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lynskey Pro 29 vs Pivot Les 29-a48d2ac4-6959-4e26-99c8-f618af1cbe0d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks will keep everyone updated.

mtbr member
    Lynskey makes a great bike but their customer service doesnít win any awards. Itís kind of goofy that way. I sort of think itís because they make a lot of frames for other brands like Salsa that they donít really focus hard on direct sales. I ordered a frame from them and called several times trying to get them to put some water bottle bolts on the down tube. They kept saying they would get back to me, and give me a quote on what this would cost, but they never did. Finally I gave up and just paid for the frame as is. I got the frame quickly and had my LBS build it. I love the bike but not the customer service.

Right now they are having a sale on their frames, up to 60% off. Itís a heck of a deal for a titanium frame built in the USA, especially compared to a Moots or other name brands. The Pivot Mach 429 SL is awesome but a totally different type of bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Got a tracking number yesterday on the pivot. Canít wait.