mtbr member
    Oct 2004

IS the Lynskey M390 a great frame??

Brand new in the box. I can get it for $1200. Any thoughts??? I would like to build up a Ti 29er.

mtbr member
    Upfront, I make no claim to be an expert mountain biker or have expert knowledge on frames.

The only comparison I can make for the M390 (built up with complete SRAM XX) is with my previous 2010 GT Avalanche 1.0.

The GT was a 26er and the M390 is a 29er. The M390 frame is much lighter than the GT frame. The GT felt stiffer (probably because it was welded and built like a tank). The M390 does not feel flexy or weak. It feels it has just the right amount of compliance. Surprisingly the M390 feels easier to control twisting through trails despite the larger wheels and longer wheel base. The M390 has a large sized downtube and the option to go SS (which probably keeps it from being a weight weenie's people's choice at 4 lbs 6 oz for a medium frame).

In conclusion, yes the M390 is a great bike. IMHO if you researched your options with your budget well and still feel drawn to the M390 go for it. Build it up with deserving components and you will not regret.

The only complaint I have so far with the M390 is the cheap decals. I plan to remove the decals and keep a sexy bare Ti look. The Lynskey badge on the head tube and name on my seatpost is more than enough to make a statement to anyone who cares to look.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the reply. What do you think of the price?? Good deal?

mtbr member
    I paid $1800 for my frame. I thought it was a fair price for a Ti frame. I wanted the sexy helical tubes of the PRO 29 but also wanted the geometry for 120mm fork. The PRO 29 was really designed for 100mm XC racing, but some people put on 120mm forks and say it works even better. But I just wanted pure 120mm for my riding needs. The killer part of the PRO 29 was the price.. Almost $500 more than the M390.

At $1200 you are getting a 30% discount from my buying price. So I would say thats a great deal already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks man, appreciate the feed back. I am going to get it next week. The frame looks robust so i dont see having any issues with it. I cant afford a new moots or Blacksheep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, the frame is solid and the price seems fair. Go for it..

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Re: IS the Lynskey M390 a great frame??

Undoubtable constructed frame.. What do you think of geometry for you?

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Good question man. I am new to the 29er field. I am 5"11 with a 32in inseam. This bike is a L, 19 inchs.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. My M390 is a Medium. I am using a Lynskey Ti 27.2 x 400mm seatpost. The post is stretched way out. I consider myself an in-betweener in Medium and Large.

If you plan on getting using an adjustable (dropper) seatpost in the future definitely get the Large frame. If you want the lightest build you can do with the Lynskey M390 get a Medium.

My posture is slightly more upright because I use this bike as my all around do everything bike. I bike to work at least 3 times a week. If I wanted more race posture I could go with a flat bar, slam my stem to the head tube, and get a seatpost with a few mm of set back.

The best really is to demo both bike sizes first but I know that's not really an option for you. Good luck.

Here is my set up:

Lynskey M390 Medium
    Rock Shox XX Revelation 120mm
    Truvativ Stylo T40 Low Rise Bar & 75mm Stem
    SRAM XX Drivetrain
    Lynskey 400mm Seatpost
    Shimano XT PD-M785 Pedals
    Shimano XTR Rear Skewer
    WTB Race Bronson 2.2 x29 Tires
    Stan's Arch EX 29er Rims
    DT Swiss 240 Hubs
    Last edited by Xtyling; 03-01-2013 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lynskey has a new $1099 frame coming soon. The MT29 Silver Series.
    Introducing The Lynskey Silver Series!