Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

For the love of THE GRANNY

I just got back from another UP/DOWN ride and I couldn't help but think about how much trash folks talk about 'the Granny'. Unlike most I'm not going to say I'm in 'too good' shape to need the granny, because I'm in good shape and I like to spin and climb technical, tricky ****.

The old, trusty, dependable Granny is there when you want to climb something so steep, so LOOSE, so soft that you need to tiptoe up it. So sneaky that your wheel might start to slide and you need to apply or remove additional torque for just a millisecond and not lose it all together. Laying over the front wheel (not in front of it like on a 26"er, yuck) feeling like you are climbing with your fingernails and pinky toes up the mud/pine needle/ handful of marbles wall. Also, not ttoo be overlooked is the sweet wheelie street cred.

GRANNY GRANNY GRANNY, OY OY OY!

I love you Granny. I also love my Salsa El Mar.

I'm finished. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1PYp-fsZOA

dvn
    mtbr member
    Okie dokie.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    dvn, do you rock a Granny?

Merendon Junkie
    I love my granny too, she is 86 years old.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    I love my granny too, she is 86 years old.
    Mine has 22 teeth. Just Sayin'

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The whole 1x thing is great for people who can't climb steep **** anyway. 22x36 FTW!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    1X, 28-front, 11-42 rear, can climb most stuff that other mortals can climb and don't have to dink around with a front der. But if you like running a 2x front, rock on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well, I was attempting some amount of humor but 28x11 isnt enough to set my new max downhill speed on the ride home (currently 47.95mph). My HT steel el mar is supposed to be a jacknife bike that I can use for anything..

Going to switch from 3x9 to 2x10 next year , need to consult the gearing charts and product reviews for best setups. Thinking xt looks like the best option but man that xtr crank looks nice. Havent owned xtr kit since 1st gen v brakes.. Are bits like the crank still worth the xtr dough??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VQuick View Post
    The whole 1x thing is great for people who can't climb steep **** anyway. 22x36 FTW!
    Or you could ride a bike with sensible size wheels that don't need thighs of thunder to get up to rolling speed.

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: For the love of THE GRANNY

Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Mine has 22 teeth. Just Sayin'
    And they can be easily swapped out if needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: For the love of THE GRANNY

Going to switch from 3x9 to 2x10 next year
    Why bother? What problem are you solving?

Did you currently spend 90% of your time in the middle ring? If so you may accomplish little other than putting a shift right in the middle of your most commonly used range of gears.

I think 2x works best if you expect to spend the majority of the time in one of the rings. That's not true for me, and I'm tired of all the front shifting so I'm giving 1x10 a shot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am a middle ring kind of guy but I do use the whole range in my hood on an average full ride.

turtles make me hot
    I have a 24 tooth on my 29er fully and a 22 on my fatbike.
    Going to try 28 single up front on my 29+... See how that works out.
    I like turtles

Merendon Junkie
    .. Are bits like the crank still worth the xtr dough??
    Nah, XTR bits are never worth the money. At least for an amateur rider they arent. They cost more than double of the equivalent XT component and gains are at most, marginal.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I went from a 22/32/44 to 1x9 with 28t front and 11-34 rear. For 90% of my trails it was great but there were some steeps that had me wanting lower gearing. I thought about 11-36t (not low enough) and 1x10 11-42t (hard to justify the cost) but in the end went to 2x9 with 24/32/bash front. So far I am pretty happy with this setup and much prefer the 24t to the 22t I was using on the triple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have a 24 tooth on my 29er fully and a 22 on my fatbike.
    Going to try 28 single up front on my 29+... See how that works out.
    I believe a 28 tooth ring gives you the same low ratio as 24 (assuming 42/36 cogs out back, respectively). When I do get another bike I'll be going from 3x10 to 1x11, and I think I'll try 30 first. Anything that can't handle I'd probably just walk half the time anyway.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild

mtbr member
    I recently installed a WickWerks 22T/33T 2 x 10 setup on my Shimano 785 crankset. I spend most of my riding time in the 33T, but I definitely use the 22T as a bail out on some of the long and steep climbs we have here in Tahoe. At least for me, this setup has been great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mumphry View Post
    I believe a 28 tooth ring gives you the same low ratio as 24 (assuming 42/36 cogs out back, respectively). When I do get another bike I'll be going from 3x10 to 1x11, and I think I'll try 30 first. Anything that can't handle I'd probably just walk half the time anyway.
    The thought of walking my MTB makes me /sad.

JimmyC, what do you run out back with 22/33 up front?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

For the love of THE GRANNY

mtbr member
    I run an XT 11T-36T cogset. I wanted the low end gearing I had on my old Truvativ X9 triple (22T/33T/42T)---which worked really well for me in Tahoe. I didn't like pushing the 38T chainring on moderate Tahoe climbs---but the 33T feels just right for me. I have had zero regrets and don't miss the high end gearing at all. Could I have gone to a 1 x 11 fitted with a 28T chainring and a 11T-42T cogset to get similar gearing? Sure. However, utilizing what I already had and swapping out a few chainrings was a much cheaper alternative--and I don't mind my FD at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks Jimmy, I very much appreciate the serious feedback to a somewhat 'wacky' post!

mtbr member
    My pleasure.

I get the fact that many folks don't like the complications of the FD---but I am not on the same page for my local riding. I am currently fit enough to ride with my 33T chainring 90% to 95% of the time up here in Tahoe---but that is not always the case. If work gets in the way and my fitness suffers, there is no way I can push the 33T chainring that much without getting some/significant knee pain (maybe I am just too old at 47). Could I live without the granny? I suppose I could---but I am usually stoked that I have the option to keep riding rather than dismounting and walking. Different strokes for different folks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Exactly, it's a trade off. A 1x setup is sweet if it has the range you need 9x% of the time. It's a personal call what x is and how big your range needs to be.

The drawbacks of a FD and second shifter are minor but relative to the above may be significant to you. At the same time, because 1x is new and hot, a lot of people want it but may not ultimately prefer it.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    1X, 28-front, 11-42 rear, can climb most stuff that other mortals can climb and don't have to dink around with a front der. But if you like running a 2x front, rock on.
    Ditto, except I run 30T front. 30-42 is plenty low.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    With my 22 front 42 rear I can ride up the side of a building.
    Wick werks 33/22 are the perfect goat gears for me.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 07-16-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast