Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I love granny. Long live the 3x crank!

Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Well, I was attempting some amount of humor but 28x11 isnt enough to set my new max downhill speed on the ride home (currently 47.95mph)...
    This is one big concern – I wind up on pavement occassionally, and I hate running out of gears.

I ride 3x9s: 44/32/22 chainrings, and an 11-36 cassette. It happens often enough that going downhill I'm topped out at 33-35mph in 27th gear trying to upshift, but there's no more gears...

So, I'm going to install 48/34/24 cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    ... I am currently fit enough to ride with my 33T chainring 90% to 95% of the time up here in Tahoe---but that is not always the case... Could I live without the granny? I suppose I could---but I am usually stoked that I have the option to keep riding rather than dismounting and walking.
    Exactly, I hate pushing my bike. I gear down and keep pedalling 'til the hill is so steep that I'm constantly wheelying or spinning the rear tire.

On the other hand, the biggest/lowest 2-3 gears are useless on my current set-up – I just wheely or spin the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Mine has 22 teeth. Just Sayin'
    Ditto. And i have all of my own teeths.

mtbr member
    With a 24 front/42 rear combo, I have no doubt that you can ride up a side of a building. LOL.

Professional Crastinator
    Yes!

I get some flack for having a granny (esp. in Ohio), but I've used it to conquer some pretty steep, long climbs out-of-state. My old granny gear lasted 15 yrs. (4 different bikes), so that tells you how often I used it. But it's nothing to have on there if you already have a FD.

On the other end, I gotta have that 44-11. I pedal like a roadie when I'm on the road, so I'm pedaling down the hills, too. 50mph is attainable, but I really gotta be up for it and on the right hill. I probably couldn't do it right now (this season has pretty much been a bust ).

Now, what tires do I need to climb a building?

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I just built up a hardtail with a 1x10 setup. 30t up front and 11-34 in the back.
    For my local rides, it's perfect. This weekend I'm headed to Tahoe and I'm hoping it will be ok....we'll see how it goes...
    My SS is 34-19 so I'm used to standing when I need to...

mtbr member
    To Fleas: For me, Specialized Ground Control tires climb anything and are more durable and faster in the sworks edition.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    I just built up a hardtail with a 1x10 setup. 30t up front and 11-34 in the back.
    For my local rides, it's perfect. This weekend I'm headed to Tahoe and I'm hoping it will be ok....we'll see how it goes...
    My SS is 34-19 so I'm used to standing when I need to...
    Really depends on WHERE you are riding in Tahoe. There are some rides you can make it happen (Emigrant trail is one) but if you are trying to ride up the road to Corral Upper, then you are going to be toast unless you are a seriously strong climber for extended periods (like 4 miles +)
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just went from a 24T to a 22T small ring, kept the 38 big. Having one more gear really helps on those long days, when you've been riding for hours, and still have one more 2000' climb in front of you.

mtbr member
    I did a loop with my some friends last weekend--we headed up Corral (pavement)/Connector (pavement)/Armstrong/Freel Peak Shoulder/Star Lake/Cold Creek. One of my buddies is a very strong local rider and grunted it out the whole way with a 30T/11-42 1 x 10. I tried to push my 33T big ring and 36 cog to see how far I could get---but had to bail into my granny about 25% up Freel Peak shoulder. I would have been walking much of that section without my granny. I love my GRANNY!

mtbr member
    not sure I'm ready for a 4 mile climb....this could be a painful weekend...not sure where we're riding. I haven't ridden up there but a couple of times and always following someone who knows where we're going...
    oh well, what doesn't kill you and all that....

mtbr member
    I mistyped earlier. I'm using 22/33 front and 12-42 (from a 11-36) in back.
    Perfect goat gears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    With my 22 front 42 rear I can ride up the side of a building.
    Wick werks 33/22 are the perfect goat gears for me.
    Folks we have a winner!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    33/22 with a 42 rear sounds awesome. Pretty sure a 22 front counts as a granny. 33/11 max though.. meh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    I mistyped earlier. I'm using 22/33 front and 12-42 (from a 11-36) in back.
    Perfect goat gears.
    This is definitely unorthodox, but I was thinking of doing something similar.
    I currently have X01 with a 26T ring. 26x42 is about the same as 22x36.

Obviously I give up high end, which I don't care about much, but there are some occasions when I'm on pavement and spinning out.

I almost switched over to a 2x system, but that's expensive. Easier, would be to keep my rear mech and 10-42, and just convert the front to 2x. I could keep the X1 crank and put a 2x spider on it, get a front derailleur, and I would have an easy conversion to a 2 x 11 system with massive range.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I did a loop with my some friends last weekend--we headed up Corral (pavement)/Connector (pavement)/Armstrong/Freel Peak Shoulder/Star Lake/Cold Creek. One of my buddies is a very strong local rider and grunted it out the whole way with a 30T/11-42 1 x 10. I tried to push my 33T big ring and 36 cog to see how far I could get---but had to bail into my granny about 25% up Freel Peak shoulder. I would have been walking much of that section without my granny. I love my GRANNY!
    This!!! My buddy and I did it about the same time you did and I thank the lord I had my granny. He was able to push his 32/36 (1x10) setup most of the way up to Upper Corral but had to walk about 1/3 mile up the last real steep section. Me, well I am more out of shape than him so I had to walk a few times in my 22/34 setup. Can't imaging trying to grunt up that hill in a 30/42 setup.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm riding a 2X10, 22-33 front/11-36 rear which is the stock setup of my bike.

It's a good setup that helps me climb most of the uphills.

I love my granny and use it a lot on rough climbes.

I'm not that enthusiastic about all these new 1X setups anyway, so if I'll have an upgrade it's probably gonna be a 42t out back. It's simple, not too expensive and make it easier for me on those nasty, technical and very steep uphills.

Mo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2